navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » January Acrostics...
Poetry Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic January Acrostics... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA

0 posted 2001-01-08 08:43 PM

OK you prolific poetic pack... Here we go..

You can take your choice here.. Go for Acrostics 101 or try your hand at Acrostics 201 - or - if you're really brave - go for broke... Try Acrostics 501... Passions Graduate Credit issued to successful candidates... :*

ACROSTICS 101
The Acrostic Poem

This level actually isn't really difficult, and most beginners can master it quite easily. The first thing you'll need to do is to decide what or whom you're going to write about. Some poets use a name, and others use a message of some kind... as you can see in Marge's wonderful pre-class warmups in the introductory thread for this month.

Marge used the words OH NO ACROSTIC for one, and DEAR GOD GIVE NAN STRENGTH for the other. She formatted the messages vertically so that each letter became the first letter of the first word of each subsequent line.

Lo and Behold - She found herself with an

Acrostics
Can
Rob
Our
Sane
Thoughts
In
Crafting

ACROSTICS 201
The Double Acrostic

That one too easy for ya??? Let's take another step. Your Acrostic Message will do one of two things - either continue its message from the left side over to the right - so that the message is one continuous one...

OR

... the message can reflect itself on both the left and right - The first and last letter of each line will be the same, and your acrostic will read down both the left and the right margins of your poem....

A
ChaotiC
RemindeR
Of poetic adO
Simple insanity iS
The guaranteed resulT
If you should dare try it I
Can bet it will be catharctiC

HAD ENOUGH??? NO???

THEN YOU'RE A MASOCHIST!!!!... Next...

ACROSTICS 501
The Formatted Double Acrostic

What's that mean??? Use SOME TYPE OF FORMATTING... I'll be kind and let you choose your own format... but....

Think THEME
Think METER
Think RHYME
and
Here's the best of all

THINK PALINDROME

Yep... I'm trying a DOUBLE ACROSTIC PALINDROME

Pick Your Poison, Folks...

© Copyright 2001 Nancy Ness - All Rights Reserved
Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
1 posted 2001-01-08 09:38 PM

SCARY!!!!   I've tried acrostics...well OK, I can't say I've tried, because I get stuck on the first line and just say, "whatever," but I do enjoy reading them. So I'll be sure to give you all a big congratulations for succeeding with them! Heck, you may inspire me to actually do one.  
Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
2 posted 2001-01-09 08:51 AM

Scary, I know I can do the first two, The third...I don't know. I definitely have to think about it.

Those of us who refuse to risk and grow get swallowed up by life. Patty Hansen.

Sven
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
3 posted 2001-01-09 01:28 PM

Hey, you know me. . . I LOVE a challenge. . . LOL  

------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Angel
since 1999-07-02
Posts 551
Pennsylvania
4 posted 2001-01-09 06:55 PM

I'm always up for a challenge--but not that big of one  . Count me in for Acrostics 201. I was actually trying to write one before I wandered into class.

~Susie

"Do you love me because I am beautiful, or am I beautiful because you love me?"
~Cinderella

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2001-01-10 09:45 AM

sigh...I knew there would be a catch...she's evil, I tell ya.
Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
6 posted 2001-01-10 05:23 PM

Hehe... she's got you! She's got you real good! And I'm the only one with a good excuse to get out of this 501... my English isn't good enough.    Geesh am I going to enjoy this class...
Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA
7 posted 2001-01-10 06:58 PM

Munda,
The way you hounded me , no excuses will be accepted ! Sorry request denied .
Doc

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

8 posted 2001-01-11 05:13 PM

Yikes! I've never even attempted acrostics, so I think I'll go to the shallow end and give you a product of "101".  

"Where there is great love there are always miracles" -Cather
"Love heals everything, and love is all there is"- Zukav

Sven
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
9 posted 2001-01-11 09:47 PM

*hand raised*

Um, teacher??  Could you please give more info about the 501 assignment???

Do you want palindromic words??  Or do want a true palindrome that reads letter for letter back to front???

-------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Sven
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
10 posted 2001-01-13 08:25 PM

*waving hand more frantically!!*

Teacher?!?!?!?

Could we please have more info about the 501 assignment???

Thank you. . .  

---------------------------------------------------

Sven
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
11 posted 2001-01-16 08:07 PM

Hey Teacher!!!!!

Hows about giving a lost student some direction???  Or are you going to hog all the glory for yourself on the 501 assignment??  

------------------------------------------------------

Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
12 posted 2001-01-16 08:59 PM

Yes please teacher! (by the way, what was my grade on the LAST assignment???
dragonpoe
since 2000-11-12
Posts 608
Palm Bay, Florida
13 posted 2001-01-18 08:59 AM

January Snow

Jumping at the flakes
Another one touches nose
  Noses red, bit with cold
  Underneath layered clothes
Are you ready to touch the sky?
Remember the times of youth
Yesteryear falls fresh.

Snowflakes dance in spirals
Never tamed always beautiful
    Our dreams are made of icicles
Wonders that wander until they thaw...

Ok, don't know which one this would post as. Tried to play around with form, but I am not good with physical imagery. What do you think? Do I pass?

< !signature-->

With the word, I am mighty, with the pen I am free..
dragonpoe

[This message has been edited by dragonpoe (edited 01-18-2001).]

Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
14 posted 2001-01-20 08:43 PM

Hey teacher!

I'm with Sven! I did the 501 and it looks like did not pass. Did I do it wrong? Tell me PLEASE!!! What was it you were wanting?
KETH

Those of us who refuse to risk and grow get swallowed up by life. Patty Hansen.

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
15 posted 2001-01-21 05:24 AM

C'mon guys...the teach will come, but did you ever consider to email? Or email eachother? The Workshop is not only meant to learn from Nan, but also to learn from eachother and share with the others what you know. Whenever you need help, leave a reply to a poem, or send the person an email. I assure you it works, it really does and perhaps next time you'll be the one helping another poet. Now for this 501... beats me... LOL... (duckig the spit balls)

dragonpoe: I've learned Acrostic is a lot harder than I imagined. I think you did great and for what it's worth, you passed in my book!  

Sven
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
16 posted 2001-01-22 01:10 PM

It's always a good idea to e-mail one another. . . but when no one really has an idea of what the assignment should be. . . LOL. . . well, that makes it a little harder. . . so, I'm just going to try both ways. . .

Palindromic words (reading from back to front) and then Palindromic letters. . . which I think will be much more difficult. . . wish me luck!!!  

-----------------------------------------------------------

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
17 posted 2001-01-22 02:15 PM

GOOD LUCK SVEN!!!   Oh and did you know Nan has email too?   *running as hard as I can for the door*
Dr.Moose1
Member Elite
since 1999-09-05
Posts 3448
Bewilderment , USA
18 posted 2001-01-25 06:56 PM

Ok, I'll put my two cents ( before tax ) in.
I may be way out in left field ( Hey ! Watch it buddy ! You almost hit me with that fly ball ! ) but ,going back to Nan's post on the 501 , I interpreted it to mean what it said " a double acrostic palindrome " or ,
down and up the left , and down and up the right ( substitute front and back if you're kinky ).I believe she was only referring to the first and last letters of each line to be read in either direction . But then again , who cares what I believe ?
Doc

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
19 posted 2001-01-28 08:33 AM

Um... Sometimes I have to spend time in the "real" classroom... Let me tell you about Danny... (He's worse than Eddie Haskell).. He's totally respectful to adults.. but.. Danny is the kid who gets into everyone's face just to get their attention... so I tell the kids to try to ignore his antics... but that doesn't work... because he just comes on stronger - needles them... calls them names... continues until he gets them in tears... then their parents start to complain... with legitimate gripes... Danny is being removed and sent to the "behavioral" class for at least half the day starting this week... YIPPEE...

Anyway.. about the 501 assignment???... Use your imaginations.. I just made up the "Double Acrostic Palindrome" as I was writing up the assignment.... Don't tell, OK?... There are no rules... (Ducking spit balls here)...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » January Acrostics...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary