navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » September's Funky Pun-Time
Poetry Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic September's Funky Pun-Time Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA

0 posted 2000-09-10 10:15 AM

OK - Is everybody here who's showing up?? You guys seem to think you can come and go at will around here... Geesh...

Well, here we are - It's September already... The new year was just yesterday, wasn't it? - Go figure!! Let's not put any rules on the format of what we're writing this time. Let's just concentrate on using some creative word plays in our work - Such as....

spoonerism - A transposition of sounds of two or more words, especially a ludicrous one, such as Let me sew you to your sheet for Let me show you to your seat.

pun - to use a word in a double sense, especially when the contrast of ideas is ludicrous; to play upon words; to quibble - A play on words which have the same sound but different meanings; an expression in which two different applications of a word present an odd or ludicrous idea - a humorous play on words; I do it for the pun of it

malapropism - From Mrs. Malaprop, a character in Sheridan's drama, "The Rivals," who makes amusing blunders in her use of words - the unintentional misuse of a word by confusion with one that sounds similar - Ludicrous misuse of a word, especially by confusion with one of similar sound. "I just can't seem to find Mr Write," she wrote.

portmanteau word - a word formed by joining two others - smog is a blend of `smoke' and `fog' - A word formed by merging the sounds and meanings of two different words; for example, slithy, from lithe and slimy; chortle, from chuckle and snort.

hyperbole - extravagant exaggeration - A figure of speech in which the expression is an evident exaggeration of the meaning intended to be conveyed, or by which things are represented as much greater or less, better or worse, than they really are; a statement exaggerated fancifully, through excitement, or for effect. - A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.

litote an understatement that expresses an affirmative thought negatively; Writing wasn't a bad idea

kenning - conventional metaphoric name for something, used esp. in Old English and Old Norse poetry - A figurative, usually compound expression used in place of a name or noun, especially in Old English and Old Norse poetry; for example, storm of swords is a kenning for battle.

tmesis - Separation of the parts of a compound word by one or more intervening words; for example, where I go ever instead of wherever I go.

pleonasm - Using more words than necessary; a tiny little child - Redundancy of language in speaking or writing; the use of more words than are necessary to express the idea; as, I saw it with my own eyes.

I know we can do this, you guys - It's really no great big huge deal, is it? Every single last one here can handle this assignment.. This verbal marathon is a drop in the bucket for you ingenuous folks....You could do this in your sleep!! - Let's see some splendiferous work here.. :*

Go, Let the same begin!!

© Copyright 2000 Nancy Ness - All Rights Reserved
Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
1 posted 2000-09-11 10:47 AM

Lemme try a hand at this and maybe I well end up a million dollar wastrel!!!  

Who cares if I scare or not, at least I will flip in a try...

regards,
sudhir

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
2 posted 2000-09-11 12:45 PM

Nan:

Sign me up ... I'll try to finish my assignment (but not before I get back to last month's submissions).    

Jim

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » September's Funky Pun-Time

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary