navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » August Workshop: Canaanite/Hebrew Poetry
Poetry Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic August Workshop: Canaanite/Hebrew Poetry Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash

0 posted 2000-08-09 01:37 PM

CANAANITE/HEBREW POETRY

I’ve been doing some research recently and came across a fascinating analysis of a style of poetry that is older than both the oldest English and the oldest known Greek verse: Canaanite or Hebrew poetry.  Examples of this form of poetry are “The Book of Job”, The Psalms and the love poem, “Song of Songs” (just incase you were wondering).  Don’t worry ...  learning ancient Hebrew or any of the ancient Canaanite dialects is not a prerequisite for taking part in this month’s workshop.      

Because of the versatility of Hebrew poetry, I think this style of writing will be equally favorable to people who prefer verse to those who prefer free verse.  Canaanite and Hebrew poetry has the following characteristics:

PRIMARY CHARACTERISTICS:

1. Rhythm:

The rhythm in Hebrew poetry is usually comprised by a fixed number of stresses (or accented beats) but, unlike English verse, does not require a fixed number of syllables.  Most often, there will be three stressed syllables in a line matched by another three in the following line to form a couplet (two lines of poetry that form a unit in a poem).  You can vary this pattern in several ways:

(1) the couplets can occasionally be longer than three stresses per line;
(2) a triplet (three lines of poetry that form a single unit in a poem) can be used instead of a couplet;
(3) or the couplet may have a three-beat line answered by a two-beat second line (the two-beat line is usually used in taunts or laments).

It is not unusual for one line to have seven or more syllables and the following line have only three or four.  Again, it is the number of stresses, rather than the number of syllables, that is important.

2. Parallelism:

A hallmark of Canaanite and Hebrew poetry is parallelism: the echoing of a thought of one line of verse in a second, partner line.  There are many varieties of parallelisms:

(1) a virtual repetition of the preceding line;
(2) amplification of the idea expressed/described in the preceding line;
(3) or an antithesis (opposite) of the idea in the preceding line.

Some examples from some of my stuff:

quote:
Amplification: "Another battle fought,
Another battle won –
I step softly in the hallway
so I don't disturb my sleeping son"

quote:
Antithesis: "You gave him to me.
You gave me to him.

The use of parallelism gives the reader some time to chew on what is being said, allowing the thought to hit home.  Because this style of poetry emphasizes meaning over strict rhythm, all of you who become world renown poets published in dozens of languages can rest assured that your poetry written in this style will not lose all of its effect.      

3. Theme:

Just as it is true with most English poetry, the development of the theme is critical.  The tension of your theme should build as you move toward your resolution.

SECONDARY CHARACTERISTICS:

In the original languages, Canaanite and Hebrew poetry often used other poetic devises:

(1) Assonance – the use of relatively similar vowel sounds in a line or lines (fade/gate);
(2) Rhyme – no need for a definition here;
(3) Refrains – a phrase or line repeated verbatim throughout the poem, usually at regular intervals;
(4) Word-plays – again, no need for a definition;
(5) Acrostics – The first letters (usually) of the lines in a poem form a message.

These are all secondary to the Canaanite/Hebrew styles of poetry so feel free to select from some, all or none of them.  

Also, feel free to experiment and be creative.  This style offers plenty of room for creativity and flexibility.  Hope you all have fun!

Jim

[This message has been edited by jbouder (edited 08-09-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Jim Bouder - All Rights Reserved
Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
1 posted 2000-08-09 01:47 PM

Jim,
I went completely overboard with my poem as you can see in this forum... but maybe it still fits...  

does it???

if not, I will try another...

regards,
sudhir
P.S. maybe I will still try another...

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
2 posted 2000-08-09 02:04 PM

What are you ... psychic?      It certainly has many of the common characteristics but it is a little light on the parallelism.  I won't let that impact your grade if you don't want to write another one ... it IS a great poem!  

Feel free to write another if you like.  There is still plenty of time in August.  

Jim

Sudhir Iyer
Member Ascendant
since 2000-04-26
Posts 6943
Mumbai, India : now in Belgium
3 posted 2000-08-09 02:20 PM

Jim
psychic         
-        Of, relating to, affecting, or influenced by the human mind or psyche;

-        Capable of extraordinary mental processes, such as extrasensory perception and mental telepathy and (grin like mad and spin like a crazy nut and do this   )

he he

the only idea to really emphasize in that was the discovery of the EXOTIC things a MAN and an ANT (end??) MAN or ANT who came first?  

regards,
Sudhir.
P.S. If you happen to venture out to dark passions, read a poem titled "WELCOME..."

and then lets see if you want to come home to that place....   ... where the psyched out live...

oops by the way thanks a great load for all the information and .... for the promise of the grades  

[This message has been edited by Sudhir Iyer (edited 08-09-2000).]

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2000-08-11 01:44 PM

A question:  Would this form qualify as blank verse?
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
5 posted 2000-08-11 07:08 PM

serenity:

Technically, blank verse is written in non-rhyming iambic pentameter (ten syllables per line accented "da-DUM/da-DUM/da-DUM/da-DUM/da-DUM").  I took the liberty of adding an accented syllable to be beginning of some of these lines for effect but, besides that, here is an example of what I mean:

quote:
Crash the stoic waves that rush the pebbled shores
Always faithful, favored over all of Liberty’s sons,
Pouring out their power with their tidal charge,
Pressing forward toward dulcet victory.

The meter in Canaanite/Hebrew poetry can be regular or varied ... but it usually has 3 (sometimes two or four) stressed syllables.  So it is possible that a couplet written in this form could be written:

quote:
da-da-DUM / da-da / DUM-DUM
DUM-da-DUM-DUM

In this case, the first line would have seven syllables (three stressed) and the second four syllables (three stressed).  Again, the number of stresses is emphasized rather than the number of syllables.  Do you understand the difference now?  

Jim

[This message has been edited by jbouder (edited 08-11-2000).]

StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas
6 posted 2000-08-13 12:04 PM

geez wonder how many trees I'm going to kill trying to write this lol (oh yeah that is what a computer is for hehe) will definitely work on this and see what I can come up with though sounds like fun !!
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
7 posted 2000-08-15 10:01 PM

*poof* Back to the top.  
hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
8 posted 2000-08-16 09:26 AM

Oh man...and I thought August's theme was Erotica....oops, my mistake  
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
9 posted 2000-08-16 12:03 PM

Having read "Song of Songs", I see no reason why it can't be an erotica exotica.      
Alle'cram
since 2000-02-28
Posts 1816
Texas
10 posted 2000-08-16 01:40 PM

Jim, (don't worry, be happy-just one question); I started picking up from many days ago, but found a lot of interest in this particular area & have one verse to give you. If you would, take my thoughts and correctly word the verse, please (showing me the stressed syllables).

My theme for the poem (to be)- from rags to riches or from the lowest of jobs to the most powerful- shephard boy (David) to King David.

Here is a thought that I put down, take it and show me what needs to happen.

-------------------------------------------

Saul,  King of Israel, ruler of the land,
choice of the people, God granted their command.

Give us a King to rule all over our land!

Man's desires...wanting a king.
God's love for His people, gave the best they had.

God was grevious for having made Saul a king!

--------------------------------

then two more lines, etc.

one line

two lines

Thanks in advance for looking at this for me.
Marcy

[This message has been edited by Alle'cram (edited 08-16-2000).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » August Workshop: Canaanite/Hebrew Poetry

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary