navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » My Sonnet (I think): End of Summer
Poetry Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic My Sonnet (I think): End of Summer Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas

0 posted 2000-05-06 11:46 PM

Ok you guyz here is my attempt I'm not sure about the iambic pentameter part of it so any advice is welcome  

End of Summer

When time doth change to leaves of faded crimson
And they soft green grass a brittle brown hue
When I feel the first stirs welcoming autumn
Powdery white frost replaces morning's sweet dew

Nature begins to awaken, to come alive
Sultry heat now becomes soothing and cool
Animals gather what they need to survive
As we chop logs, our furnace fuel

Squirrels scury to and fro, geese take flight
Trees stand leafless barren and old
The days begin to shorten early comes the night
The wind whispers to us warning of cold

As creatures prepare for winter's slumber
Thus announcing the end of summer

Mystical being
which makes ink flow
Surround me in
your incandescent glow
Fill my brain with
thoughts and rhyme
As I try to capture
but a moment in time
~Shan~

© Copyright 2000 Shan Crider - All Rights Reserved
Gene
since 2000-01-23
Posts 935
Colorado, USA
1 posted 2000-05-08 12:40 PM

Starr,

You have the makings for a wonderful sonnet. The rhyming pattern is perfect. Unfortunately, the meter is all off.

Try to think of the meter beat (da-DUM) like a heartbeat or a wave pattern on an oscilloscope. Start with a downbeat and end the line on an upbeat. There should be 5 da-DUMS per line the da on the downbeat and DUM on the upbeat (accented syllable).
For example: Your first line is perfect, except for the last word.

When  time  doth  change  to  leaves  of  faded

da    DUM    da    DUM    da   DUM    da  DUM da

In the above line there would only be room left at the end for a one syllable word which would have to be a DUM. So crimson won't work. The word red would work, but then you'd have to change your rhyming pattern. The reason crimson won't work at the end of a line is that the word would be a DUM-da. The end of a line has to end with a DUM.

Basically, try to have 10 syllables per line. your first line has 11. This is not always the case though. Sometimes you might want to set the meter so that it's more pleasing to the ear. For example:
I always have trouble with the word 'memories'
It's three syllables (DUM da DUM), but it sounds awkward as three syllables and to my ear, really thows a sonnet off. Most people pronounce it like two, 'memries' (DUM da)
Here's an example below, which sounds better to you?

(In the first line below, if you pronounce 'memories' as two syllables, which most people would, then it doesn't flow. Although, the meter and syllable count are perfect, it doesn't sound good and trying to pronounce it as three syllables really sounds awkward--even though it's correct. In the second line, if you pronounce 'memories' as two syllables, then it flows--all I did was add the word 'the' Technically, it's wrong according to the syllable count, but it sounds better and if you consider 'memories' two syllables, then it does work out as 10 syllables).

My memories taste sweetest served with love.

My memories tase the sweetest served with love.
---
Take a look at pandora's sonnet. She treats the word 'toward' as one syllable and the word 'visualize' as three syllables. It works perfectly, although technically it's wrong. I think it was a good call on her part.

-----
I hope I haven't totally confused you.        
~Gene

[This message has been edited by u_gene (edited 05-08-2000).]

StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas
2 posted 2000-05-08 03:51 PM

ok thanks Gene  ... I knew  the  da DUMS would get me but your  explanation helps out  alot  10 syllables huh ? looks like  I have to totally start over  who  knew  poetry could be  so challenging but so much  fun at the same  time ? hehe  this time I thinkI'l write  the lines  using your example  and  skip a line  so I can go back and  put lil da DUMS  under the words  lol  ... thanks  again for your help      
pandora
since 1999-07-26
Posts 184

3 posted 2000-05-09 08:26 PM

Starrgazer- this is a really lovely piece... and although it doesn't fit exactly into the syllables for iambic pentameter, keep it like it is... it might not be a perfectly structured sonnet, but it's a very fine poem!
StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas
4 posted 2000-05-09 10:14 PM

Pandora, thanks it  turned out really well I think sonnet or not, and  have already decided to  write a completely new attempt at sonnet because of the fact that I like this one  as it is     back to the trenches LOL  have to get this iambic pentameter down but thanks for your comments on my poem    
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 2000-05-11 06:12 PM

OK, StarrGazer...

Read all the stuff above about meter - and here's a suggested rewrite - but remember - this is your poem - you don't have to take suggestions... I'm just taking a nip and tuck for a sonnet's meter's sake...    

When time doth change to crimson faded leaves
And soft green grass is brittle brown in hue;
When first I feel the stirring autumn breeze
White powdered frost replaces morning's dew.

As nature wakens coming forth alive
The sultry heat becomes a soothing cool.
And animals store needs for their survive
As we chop logs, our furnaces to fuel.

While squirrels scurry, geese take flight
And leafless trees stand barren, stark and old,
with shorter days so early comes the night
The whispering wind is warning us of cold.

For winter's slumber creatures all prepare
The end of summer's thus announced its fare.

[This message has been edited by Nan (edited 05-11-2000).]

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
6 posted 2000-05-14 10:24 AM

Starrgazer
I agree with Gene, you did have the makings of a wonderful sonnet, and from Nan's revision, you can see how beautiful a sonnet really is when you stick to the iambic pentameter. It sounds like a song. Your sonnet was already written. It was just a matter of switching around the phrases to make it fit into a mold.
This is beautiful
Liz

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » My Sonnet (I think): End of Summer

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary