navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #2 » Untitled
Teen Poetry #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic Untitled Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mistikman
since 2000-01-10
Posts 682
San Jose, CA, USA

0 posted 2000-02-05 04:25 PM

This is a poem I wrote 2 years ago near the peak of my depression. I came across a copy of it while I was cleaning my room.

Dusk, dragging on into the night,
Always regretting, Always lonely,
tearless eyes searing deep into the soul.
Sun turning from grey to black.
Miserable and wanting more,
Holding jagged rock with crimson point,
Watching it's rigid path come to an end.

I am not a poet, I am merely one who speaks in emotion

© Copyright 2000 Travis Welton - All Rights Reserved
poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
1 posted 2000-02-05 09:11 PM

mistikman: simple, but very intruiging and also very well written... i would be interested in knowing if that "jagged rock with crimson point" symbolized something in particular?  perhaps a knife with a bloody tip?...

sincerely,
jerome the boy with no brain

A savage place! as holy and enchanted
As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover!
~Coleridge

Mistikman
since 2000-01-10
Posts 682
San Jose, CA, USA
2 posted 2000-02-05 09:32 PM

Very perceptive Jerome, and right on the money. This is a poem about suicide. The rigid path is the path of the blade across the wrist, or the tumultuous life I have led, however you want to look at it.
anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
3 posted 2000-02-05 09:55 PM

Very deep. I can really relate to you. It is short but says so much in so little time. I really like it.

~AF~

poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
4 posted 2000-02-05 10:01 PM

mistikman: i was unsure if you were writing from your own perspective or that of another voice, but your prologue to the poem seemed to say it was a personal experience... i went through something similar (it seems many teens do these days), though i never took a knife to myself (i'm scared of sharp things)... and now, understanding your imagery, i wanted to say that i think it's quite inventive and very original...

sincerely,

~Coleridge

Mistikman
since 2000-01-10
Posts 682
San Jose, CA, USA
5 posted 2000-02-06 09:19 PM

Well, this isnt totally from personal experience. I never actually attempted suicide. I did, however take a knife to myself, but it was to carve the word "Alone" into my arm, rather than kill myself. Thank you for the positive feedback on my poem, I wasnt sure how good it was when I posted it.  I have a hard time judging my own poetry  
poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
6 posted 2000-02-06 09:28 PM

mistikman: i think it's a very good poem, but i definately understand the idea of not being able to judge your own poetry... i see myself as one of those literary critics that can't write worth crap... *heh* the sad thing is that i'm not much of a literary critic either    i just know what i like and what i dont...

sincerely,

~Coleridge

chic
since 2000-01-26
Posts 245
yellville, Ar, U.S.
7 posted 2000-02-07 09:35 AM

Great poem guy! I often (almost always) feel this way.  And have often thought of doing a few harmful things to myself, but never carried through.  This poem details those feeling to the very point of which i was feeling and it tells alot though tis short.  Great work
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #2 » Untitled

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary