navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #2 » I Need Help (and not the phycological kind...lol)
Teen Poetry #2
Post A Reply Post New Topic I Need Help (and not the phycological kind...lol) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada

0 posted 2000-02-04 10:32 PM

Tomorrow is my daughter's birthday and I have written her a poem. There is oneline that is weak and I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions. I need something powerful. Thaks for your help.

I was there
With your first breath
the tiny cry
Against my chest

I was there
For your first tooth
Each pain filled cry
I tried to soothe (this is the line..help!)

I was there
For your first word
The joy I felt
Was quite obsurd

I was there
For your first step
As you teetered
My heart leapt

I was there
For your first black eye
So many followed
You tumbled and cried

Now I am here
Four years to the day
You took your first breath
The years flew away

Now I am here
To tell you, my love
Happy Birthday Amanda
Your a gift from above

© Copyright 2000 Marilyn - All Rights Reserved
Die Lustig Kuh
since 2000-02-04
Posts 7

1 posted 2000-02-04 10:40 PM

Marilyn-
  I'm new here, so I'm probably not the one to be giving advice, merely taking... However, I think the line about soothing fits the stanza perfectly.  

-Die Lustig Kuh

Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
2 posted 2000-02-04 11:06 PM

This is really beautiful, Marilyn.  I too liked that line, but I will continue thinking about it and see if anything that you may like better pops into my head!  I know your daughter will love this.  

*Krista Knutson*

One lives in the hope of becoming a memory.
~*Antonio Porchia*~

Astraea
since 1999-11-09
Posts 378
California! Yeah! Okay, I'm done now
3 posted 2000-02-04 11:14 PM

How about "Your tears I soothe"?  But then again, maybe that's just me.  Not to be intrusive, but souldn't the last line read "You're" instead of "Your"?  Nevertheless, I think it's lovely just the way it is.  

~Astraea

"Sometimes stars can only be seen in darkness."

"Sorrow's crown of sorrow is remembering happier things."

poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
4 posted 2000-02-04 11:23 PM

marilyn: this is a very sweet poem   i think you're daugther will really appreciate you doing this for her...

*heh* i know i do this at the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, but i'm sure you want this poem to be perfect for you daughter (if i were you, i would), so i'll go ahead and divulge... just two VERY minor details actually... *heh* "obsurd" should be "Absurd" and the "your" in the last line should be "you're"... as for the (bad?) line... i think it's fine the way it is... it's not exact rhyme, but i still think it works... (there aren't too many appropriate rhymes for "tooth")... if i were you, i'd keep it...

sincerely,
jerome the boy with no brain

A savage place! as holy and enchanted
As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover!
~Coleridge

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #2 » I Need Help (and not the phycological kind...lol)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary