navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #3 » An Expression of the Heart
Open Poetry #3
Post A Reply Post New Topic An Expression of the Heart Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California

0 posted 1999-10-22 03:40 PM

An Expression Of The Heart

‘Tried publishing my poetry,
I had been told I should.
Yeah, all my friends had bragged on me,
They thought I was quite good.

But I got the envelope back,
In way too short a time.
Seems they couldn't deal with the fact
Lines five and seven weren't true rhyme.

The meter was off in line eight,
I stubbed my iambic toe.
Now my poem I once thought great,
Had me hanging my head low.

So I fixed the meter, fixed the feet.
Taking all of an hour.
That made my poem, once so sweet,
Seem just a tad bit sour.

I gave them a perfect rhyme scheme,
No, nothing less would do.
I thought the poem lost it's theme.
Just shows you what I knew...

Cause now the publisher bought it,
Yeah, I made a few bucks.
But I wonder, was it worth it,
My friends all think it sucks.

To meet their meter and measure,
Emotion lost release.
The publishers got their pleasure,
But left me with no peace.

Yes, indeed, I have to question
Such detailed critique of my art.
When poetry in my conception,
Is an expression of the heart.

------------------
Michael Anderson

Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?

© Copyright 1999 Michael Anderson - All Rights Reserved
DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

1 posted 1999-10-22 04:10 PM

At times we must become prostitutes of words to appease and please those able to make or break a writer's career. 'Tis a sad thing indeed, my friend.

------------------
Now and forever, my heart hears ~one voice~.
DreamEvil©

Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
2 posted 1999-10-22 04:12 PM

I agree with those sediments Micheal. True poetry comes from the heart. Maybe publishing isn't worth it?
Watcher666
since 1999-10-13
Posts 1606

3 posted 1999-10-22 04:18 PM

Is it truly worth destroying your work to be published? Good Poetry is from the heart and soul,no one should be able to tell you what resides in them.

------------------
Illusion...what we see and what we do...it's all up to you.

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
4 posted 1999-10-22 09:41 PM

Call me stubborn, Dream, I'd just assume die an "unknown" before sacrificing the emotion behind my work to meet form constrictions...My poetry is for me, and for my friends...and if somehow it is found publishable, that will just be an added blessing...

Marily, Watcher, thank you for the responses.

------------------
Michael Anderson

poetFemmeFatale
Member Elite
since 1999-07-25
Posts 2646
Arkansas
5 posted 1999-10-22 10:14 PM

Yes indeed, you are stubborn - however, with good reason. Like you said, what is poetry if it is "hollow"....what is it if it is dead? Just that.....dead. Empty, and meaningless...I applaude your being so stubborn babe.....besides, you're sexy when you are! LOL ****kisses

------------------
I beckon you to come...I lure you with my tongue... - poet FemmeFatale

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

6 posted 1999-10-22 10:40 PM

That's a tough one. I think it's ok to change it if it makes it better in your own judgement. After all, it is YOURS, from within your heart. I guess the question comes down to 'what price publication?' I agree with you. I write for me and my family and friends. If it never gets published, so what? It has already touched the ones that I wanted it to touch! Publishers tend to be so arrogant, anyway, who needs it? And as I have said before...we have Passions! The greatest place to be to share what we have to say!

Great Poem!

------------------
Denise

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
7 posted 1999-10-22 10:47 PM

I say, turn off the editor, the publisher and the critic, especially if you let them interfear with your heart song. Where did you find a publisher that would give you that much feedback anyway. All I ever hear is, thanks, but no thanks. Great poem!
Systematic Decay
since 1999-09-15
Posts 1301
That place with padded walls and funny people in white.........
8 posted 1999-10-22 10:51 PM

Micheal, if a poem is perfect in your eyes, then it is not worth changing for anything.

------------------
"Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage."
-Billy Corgan-

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
9 posted 1999-10-23 10:38 AM

I don't sacrifice my emotions, my flow, my thoughts, my work for any publisher. If they don't like it, then I'll submit it somewhere else. I'll take 20 rejection letters before I change myself to meet their standards.
Just a little fun thing to do Micheal...
The next rejection letter you get from a publisher...pretend you never even got. Draft a rejection letter of your own something to the effect of:

Dear Mr. Jones, editor;
I regret to inform you that I have decided to withdraw my submissions to your magazine. After careful thought, I have decided that your journal does not posess the qualities I seek in a magazine that I wish to be published in. I am hereby requestion that you return all materials submitted to you for review.
Sincerly,

Hey, why should we give them all the power? It will make you feel good if nothing else...laughs, take my word for it

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
10 posted 1999-10-23 10:59 AM

hehe...O.K. Hoot_Owl, I will give that a try....it will most definately be good for a laugh.

Everyone else, thanx for the comments

la la la la la...Femme think's I'm sexy....no one can touch me today la la la la la

------------------
Michael Anderson

Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
11 posted 1999-10-23 11:10 AM

Michael,
Keep this poem above your work place, it's a classic. By all means follow your heart.

PoeticPreacher
since 1999-10-20
Posts 28
jkljkj
12 posted 1999-10-23 12:09 PM

Michael, I throughly enjoyed reading this poem. I have been there. Being a rhyming poet myself, I have found it not to be an easy task nor a popular format as most poems do not rhyme. Publishers do expect certain things from rhyming poets that they do not expect from other poets. For example...does it flow like a song? I once tried to be a poet who rarely rhymes but I have failed at that miserabley as most of my poems wind up rhyming. I have learned to accept that. Should I write a poem that does not rhyme, I actually celebrate.

Your poem expressed my innermost feelings. I do have a question though. At the risk of looking very ignorant...
"So I fixed the meter, fixed the feet."
"To meet their meter and measure,"
What is meant by meter and measure in terms of poetry?

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
13 posted 1999-10-23 12:23 PM

Preacher,
The meter of a poem is simply the syllable count of the lines. To make a poem flow like a song as you say, consistency in meter is very important.
The feet is where the accent falls on the syllables within a line.
Shakespeare wrote his sonnets in "Iambic Pentameter"...which is five "two-syllable" feet per line, accent was always on the second foot I believe.
"May Nan strike me with a bolt of lightning if I'm wrong."
The "measure" I refer to is simply the measure of the poems worth in "their" eyes.
Measuring up to their expectations, so to speak.

Thank you for the comment, it means much...
Btw...did you used to post on the prodigy network? I recall a poet "Preacher" being there some time back...probably '93 or '94.
(I recall a poem about "Milking a Cow")

------------------
Michael Anderson

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 10-23-1999).]

PoeticPreacher
since 1999-10-20
Posts 28
jkljkj
14 posted 1999-10-23 01:10 PM

Thank you so much for explaining that. I am just now beginning to get into the technical terms of poetry with the hopes of sharpening my skills without touching the "heart source" from which my poetry comes.
PoeticPreacher
since 1999-10-20
Posts 28
jkljkj
15 posted 1999-10-23 01:14 PM

I forgot to mention that I am not that poet. Milking A Cow must have had quite an impact with you, seeing that you remember it from that time to now. I actually go the name Poetic Preacher from a young man named Darryl Kelly. He is an excellent (and decent) rapper. This is one of my favorite forms of music to listen to.
Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
16 posted 1999-10-23 02:28 PM

How very true. One wonders if the editors even know or care about what the poem is saying, so long as it flows smoothly. I hate to tell you, sirs, but my washing-machine has perfect rhythm and meter (before the rinse cycle, anyway) -- perhaps I should write its sentiments down and submit it to the folks you mentioned here?

--K.

------------------
You cannot choose the way of your death, but the path you choose will determine its own end.

Richard 33
since 1999-09-09
Posts 187
glen easton, wv usa
17 posted 1999-10-23 04:04 PM

Michael, your poetry comes from your soul, and no publisher can measure that!!!!!
They are not in the same world as the rest of
us. Your's is an art, they are looking at
making$$$$$$$, you just can't change what
comes from someones heart, for any amount of money!!!!!!!!!!

Richard

skyshine
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-02-07
Posts 3058
Beneath the northern stars
18 posted 2004-12-19 10:42 PM

I can't seem to write "perfect" poetry either, but I like mine the way they are because they say what I want them to say. I know how you feel!!

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas! Jesus is the reason for the season!!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #3 » An Expression of the Heart

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary