navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #1 » Debut
Open Poetry #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Debut Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Andrew Scott
Member Elite
since 1999-06-24
Posts 2558
Redlands,CA,USA

0 posted 1999-06-30 04:58 PM

I wrote this one for an earlier time, when young ladies were introduced to the court in hope of finding a husband. Of course, love was hardly ever the deciding factor for a marriage back then. Sometimes I wonder if we've come all that far.

-----

Little do they know of her
Still, little do they care
A mere prospect in their eyes
Under critical stares

Her value is in question
What dowry does she offer?
Territory to be claimed
How can I conquer?

With courtly manners they flock
Each seeking her favor
In hopes she responds in turn
And rewards their labor

More they should be asking
What is it that I offer?
What worthiness is in me
That I recieve love's voucher?

For she possesses more value
Than they will ever know
Found in loves deep commitment
A depth they will not go

[This message has been edited by Andrew Scott (edited 06-30-99).]

© Copyright 1999 Andrew Scott - All Rights Reserved
Lost Dreamer
Member Elite
since 1999-06-20
Posts 2464
Somewhere near the Rainbow
1 posted 1999-06-30 05:12 PM

Very nice.
sea_of_okc
since 1999-06-15
Posts 568
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
2 posted 1999-07-01 09:34 AM

Very good Andrew, I like it. I look at today's divorce rate and wonder were arranged marriages so bad?
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
3 posted 1999-07-01 09:40 AM

Ok..the poem is very good but......

A man was only as good as his bank account or his lordly title and a woman was only as good as her 'breeding ability' or her ability to bring money into an impoverished aristocratic family.

Then after the wedding, and as soon as the first born son was proven to be the husband's, both parties were free to sleep around. If the woman was virtuous, she just stayed at home with the children and became dried up and bitter.

Is that good?

[This message has been edited by Poet deVine (edited 07-01-99).]

Andrew Scott
Member Elite
since 1999-06-24
Posts 2558
Redlands,CA,USA
4 posted 1999-07-01 11:58 AM

Poet deVine -- you are correct and I wish no offense. Please note the last two stanzas where I place the woman's value far above what her suiters will pay. That only by offering ones heart will they receive her greatest treasure in turn -- that of true love "a depth they will not go." The narrator does not believe in arranged marriages for this very reason. Love should not be bought and sold to the highest bidder. Unless, love is the coin they offer. I hope you will look at this poem differently and I apologize for any confussion.
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
5 posted 1999-07-01 09:27 PM

Andrew, I did not imply that you were hoping to go back to the time when there were arranged marriages! I understood your poem but wanted to add my two cents (as usual). I am a history buff and enjoy reading about Victoria/Regency/Georgian etiquette. I find most of it hilarious! I personally know a girl from India whose marriage was arranged for her (about 8 years ago). They talked on the phone, sent letters back and forth, met only once. Then with all the pomp and circumstance of any traditional ritual, she packed her bags and flew to India to get married - her family spent $10,000.00 for the entire thing. She got within an hour of landing and changed her mind!!!! Everyone was devastated! So it does happen in modern times too.

Some women would love to have the security of an arranged marriage I think. Would you arrange for me to marry John Malkovich?

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 1999-07-01 09:39 PM

I agree wholeheartedly, Andrew. So often the "choosers" are so busy passing judgement that they don't stop to think that they are also being judged. Nice work
Andrew Scott
Member Elite
since 1999-06-24
Posts 2558
Redlands,CA,USA
7 posted 1999-07-02 12:34 PM

Ms. deVine: Thanks for coming back. You'll have to excuse me. Sometimes I have the tendency of taking someone's two cents and running off with it. I'm a professional fundraiser for a public radio station (read that as professional begger) and anytime somebody shows me money I start doing a bad imitation of Pavlov's dog.

Sir Balladeer: Thank you for gracing my work with your comments.

I bow to you both!

elvira
since 1999-07-06
Posts 936
California
8 posted 1999-07-08 02:59 PM

courtly love
unrequited passion
far above
a mere possession

------------------
i never call a poem "nice" or such,
for that would not be saying much

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #1 » Debut

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary