navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #1 » Her Mask
Open Poetry #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Her Mask Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota

0 posted 1999-08-22 04:51 PM

[This message has been edited by Elizabeth (edited 11-04-1999).]

© Copyright 1999 Elizabeth A. Larson - All Rights Reserved
Elizabeth
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
1 posted 1999-08-22 06:28 PM

Somebody say something about this? Pleeeeease?

------------------
*Elizabeth*

"Dwelt a maid belov'd and cherish'd by high and low,
But with autumn leaf she perish'd, long time ago..."

pen of passion
since 1999-08-11
Posts 234

2 posted 1999-08-22 09:24 PM

Hey I like it; especially the last two-rhyme
lines.

Stephanie Robinson
since 1999-08-16
Posts 5

3 posted 1999-08-23 01:26 AM

I really liked this. It makes me think of someone I know. She hides behind a mask herself but when I'm around her she seems to take it of and let the pain out. I help her in every way that I know how to. Thanks for the poem its really good.
Kyle_R
since 1999-08-23
Posts 12
Honolulu, HI, USA
4 posted 1999-08-23 01:44 AM

how heartbreaking. is this a true experience of yours Elizabeth? if so i am sorry for the loss you speak of. very powerful poetry, content and diction are key. her (the she you speak of) emotions rub off on the reader very distinctly.
snacks
since 1999-08-21
Posts 35
NJ
5 posted 1999-08-23 08:33 AM

THIS IS A REALLY TOUCHING "REAL PERSON" POEM THAT SPEAKS TO THE LOSS SO MANY PEOPLE DEAL WITH WHEN SOMEONE COMPLETES A SUICIDE. THERE IS OFTEN SUCH REGRET BY LOVED ONES AND FRIENDS THAT THEY DID NOT "DO SOMETHING" TO HELP SOONER. I SEE PEOPLE EVERY DAY (WHERE I WORK) WHO ARE LIVING WITH THIS KIND OF SECRET DESAIR. AND IT IS SO TRUE THAT PEOPLE'S EXPECTATIONS OF "DEPRESSED" DO NOT DO JUSTICE TO THE REALITY OF SO MANY WHO HIDE BEHIND MASKS..A GREAT POEM. I AM ALSO INTERESTED IN KNOWING IF YOU EXPERIENCED THIS LOSS PERSONALLY.

------------------
God is seen always in a child's eyes

snacks
since 1999-08-21
Posts 35
NJ
6 posted 1999-08-23 08:33 AM

THIS IS A REALLY TOUCHING "REAL PERSON" POEM THAT SPEAKS TO THE LOSS SO MANY PEOPLE DEAL WITH WHEN SOMEONE COMPLETES A SUICIDE. THERE IS OFTEN SUCH REGRET BY LOVED ONES AND FRIENDS THAT THEY DID NOT "DO SOMETHING" TO HELP SOONER. I SEE PEOPLE EVERY DAY (WHERE I WORK) WHO ARE LIVING WITH THIS KIND OF SECRET DESAIR. AND IT IS SO TRUE THAT PEOPLE'S EXPECTATIONS OF "DEPRESSED" DO NOT DO JUSTICE TO THE REALITY OF SO MANY WHO HIDE BEHIND MASKS..A GREAT POEM. I AM ALSO INTERESTED IN KNOWING IF YOU EXPERIENCED THIS LOSS PERSONALLY.

------------------
God is seen always in a child's eyes

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
7 posted 1999-08-23 09:10 AM

Nicely done
Elizabeth
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
8 posted 1999-08-23 01:24 PM

Thank you all for replying to my poem. This one really means a lot to me. Snacks-Thank you for what you said. My friend in fact did not commit suicide, but she did die very suddenly. She was a victim of depression and had in fact attemted suicide, but did not die that way. She died in a car accident about two years ago. When she died, supposedly things in her life were wonderful, but now I do not believe so, and this poem is how I expressed it. Thank you all again!

------------------
*Elizabeth*

traveler
since 1999-08-17
Posts 119

9 posted 1999-08-24 03:53 PM

Elizabeth, I found found this very touching. The third stanza was my favorite. So well done ... Thank you
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 1999-08-24 03:57 PM

Sorry I did not respond right away, Elizabeth, as this was a hard thing to respond to. You see, my daughter is manic-depressive, and you described her situation quite well. As she has run off, leaving a child behind, and we do not know her whereabouts, or if she is OK, then I don't know if your fourth stanza fits her life or not. Thank you for letting me share this with you.

------------------
Sunshine
Words will always express our feelings true. ~~~ KRJ
Look, then, into thine heart, and write ~~~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

caroline
since 1999-08-16
Posts 1218
http://members.xoom.com/belladona123/index.htm
11 posted 1999-08-24 05:16 PM

Its truly beautiful Elizabeth, and not only expresses your love and caring for your friend, but sends a message to any of us to look a little deeper into the hearts of those we "think" we know well. All may not be fine on the inside. My sympathy for the loss of your friend.
And Sunshine...may your daughter find her way home. I, too have a close relative who is bi-polar. A tough thing on the entire family. I'll be thinking of you.

------------------
The only man worth your tears will never make you cry...

Elizabeth
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
12 posted 1999-08-25 08:27 PM

Thank you so much everyone. Sunshine, I'm glad to share my poetry, and I am always willing to let others share back with me. I truly hope your daughter is all right. You know, after reading that, I was reminded of another friend of mine who is bipolar. We knew each other for months before I even began to suspect, and I wasn't even thinking of that when I wrote this poem, but his story also fits.

------------------
*Elizabeth*

Elizabeth
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
13 posted 1999-08-31 04:28 PM

Today is the second anniversary of her death.

------------------
*Elizabeth*

RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
14 posted 1999-08-31 04:46 PM

Elizabeth

A close friend of mine was like that, few weeks before we were really laughing about something, then one night she rang and I was too busy..:-((..it rang again later, but this time too late but I was with her for her last moment, but never again will I be too late for anyone, I promised myself that..Lovely tribute to your friend..:-))

HUGS

------------------
You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

15 posted 1999-08-31 05:34 PM

Elizabeth, this is truly sad, I'm sorry for your loss.
Elizabeth
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
16 posted 1999-08-31 07:58 PM

Dark Angel and RainbowGirl-thank you both for your replies. RainbowGirl, I am so sorry abuot your friend, but I'm glad you got to have that last moment with her... By the way, the line in my signature is from a song that reminds me of her.

------------------
*Elizabeth*

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #1 » Her Mask

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary