navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » Dictionary Forum
Suggestion Box
Post A Reply Post New Topic Dictionary Forum Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina

0 posted 2006-09-16 12:31 PM

I think we need a dictionary forum. A forum where someone can go to learn words and discuss words; you know; their meanings, origins, whatever. I just think that'd be groovy.

Once you are truly insane, it’s all picnics with Kafka after that. See, it’s the process of going crazy that you gotta worry about.

© Copyright 2006 Edward Grant - All Rights Reserved
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
1 posted 2006-09-16 12:43 PM

Personally, I'd like to know where groovy came from!
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2006-09-16 08:34 AM

groov¡Py [ grÈÉvee ] (comparative groov¡Pi¡Per, superlative groov¡Pi¡Pest)

adjective  

Definition:

excellent: used, often as an exclamation, to describe somebody or something that is fashionable, excellent, or pleasing ( dated slang )

[Mid-20th century. < in the groove]

groov¡Pi¡Ply adverb
groov¡Pi¡Pness noun

Not so sure a forum would work, but a thread in the Lounge or in the Workshop would be good.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2006-09-16 08:35 AM

Groovy suggestion, PdV!  

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
4 posted 2006-09-16 10:54 AM

Edward~

The English Workshop is located here -
/main/forumdisplay.cgi?number=32

There are lots of discussion threads there that you might enjoy perusing~

... and I keep a shortcut to Dictionary.com on my desktop for quick self-checking~

http://dictionary.com

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -         noles1@totcon.com     

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
5 posted 2006-09-16 09:42 PM

Divine one, that's the definition but not the reference. Why groovy? What grooves? It is referring to a phonograph needle in the grooves of an album? If so, why would that lead to that definition? That's the interresting part that is rewarding to uncover
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2006-09-16 10:00 PM

quote:
  Word Origins
Directory > Words > American Word Origins groovy
Origin: 1937

The first to be in the groove were African-American jazz musicians, early in the 1930s. They are no longer around to tell us where this groove came from, but scholars have speculated. Maybe it began with that relatively new invention, the phonograph, whose sound came out right when the needle was in the groove; maybe the musicians--virtually all of them men--were creating yet another metaphor for sex. No matter. What matters is the Cool (1949) sound when a player is really in the groove, not forcing the music but letting it flow. "The jazz musicians gave no grandstand performances," wrote an admiring reviewer in 1933, "they simply got a great burn from playing in the groove."

It could be summed up with the word groovy, defined in 1937 as a "state of mind which is conducive to good playing." Before long, there were groovy audiences as well as groovy performers, and by the 1940s things in general could be groovy. Love was groovy, skating was groovy, even pitching a no-hit baseball game was groovy. (By the way, since the early 1900s, the center of the strike zone in baseball has been known as the groove, and a pitcher who throws a fastball there is said to be grooving.)

Groovy was in the air everywhere in the hip, laid-back counterculture of the 1960s, when feeling groovy was the ultimate ambition and praise, as well as the title of a hit song. To groove was "to have fun." "Life as it is really grooves," declares a fictional letter from a group of groovy young dropouts in a 1969 short story by John Updike. Later generations have not always felt so groovy, but they know how to use the word when they want to speak so their elders can understand.

The adjective groovy has 2 meanings:

Meaning #1: (informal) very good

Synonyms: bang-up, bully, corking, cracking, dandy, great, keen, neat, nifty, not bad, peachy, slap-up, swell, smashing

Meaning #2: (British informal) very chic
  Synonym: swagger

Translations
Directory > Words > Translations Translations for: Groovy
Dansk (Danish)
adj. - med på det sidste nye, vanebunden, "høj", helt i orden

Nederlands (Dutch)
helemaal te gek, met groeven

Français (French)
adj. - sensass, super bien (arch), dans le vent (arch)

Deutsch (German)
adj. - (ugs.) klasse, rillenartig

Ελληνική (Greek)
adj. - της μόδας, μοντέρνος, τσίφτικος

Italiano (Italian)
alla moda, eccellente

Português (Portuguese)
adj. - bastante agradável (gír.)

Русский (Russian)
рутинный, обычный, превосходный

Español (Spanish)
adj. - atractivo, agradable, estupendo, excelente

Svenska (Swedish)
adj. - slentrianmässig, toppen, häftigt
http://www.answers.com/topic/groovy

COOL!

Edward Grim
since 2005-12-18
Posts 1154
Greenville, South Carolina
7 posted 2006-09-16 10:29 PM

My God, how did this whole thing turn into focusing on an adjective from the 70's?

But who cares, this is the stuff I like.

P.S. I like saying groovy, it's better than saying cool, gnarly or radical.

Once you are truly insane, it’s all picnics with Kafka after that. See, it’s the process of going crazy that you gotta worry about.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » Dictionary Forum

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary