navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » Board Suggestions
Suggestion Box
Post A Reply Post New Topic Board Suggestions Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
wintertao
since 2003-11-17
Posts 366
Okaloosa Island, FL

0 posted 2003-11-18 04:43 PM

I frequent lots of poetry boards on the net and here are just some of my casual observations on piptalk...

The main poetry board is moving way too fast...and the strange thing is the other boards, other than teen, hardly move at all. Something needs to be done to "split" the main poetry board or encourage in some ways people to start using the alternative boards for dark poetry etc...many GREAT poems are rolling off page one into oblivion after only a hour or two with very few reads. This is very frustrating to me I don't know about others. The odd thing is if you put it in dark poetry or something it just sits there for 24 hours with no comments at all. This is the main problem I see with piptalk....everyone is trying to use the same stage at the same time...the other rooms seem to move like mud with little interest while the general room flies at the speed of light...and we are all missing alot of great poetry because of that. On other poetry sites I visit there are 6 or 7 or more active vibrant boards where the load of poetry is spread out over general, love, dark, haiku/haibun/etc, song lyrics, freeverse, short stories, sonnets, etc...and it works alot better that way in my opinion. Just my 1 cents...thanks

[This message has been edited by wintertao (11-18-2003 04:50 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 wintertao - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2003-11-18 04:47 PM

We have Dark Poetry, Corner Pub, Spiritual, Teen, etc.  If you have Open bookmarked so you only go there, you may want to see / for a complete overview.
wintertao
since 2003-11-17
Posts 366
Okaloosa Island, FL
2 posted 2003-11-18 04:51 PM

hmmmm...did you read my post? it doesnt sound like you even read it...
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2003-11-18 05:21 PM

Yes, I read it.  Our boards are already "split" for those who wish to frequent slower forums.

But it could be, perhaps, that I did not understand what you really meant to say.

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
4 posted 2003-11-18 06:52 PM

wintertao,
you can mark your preference to 200 poems per page...or go to todays topics and get to see them all so as to read those you choose to. There are also the archives to read from.

I think everyone who first comes here notices the fastness of the open... and the slowness of others and  make their choices as to where they prefer to be or how many they want to be in.

But some of us like that...the fact that there is much to read and reply to.

Once you are here long enough you will adjust to it..for one thing if pip were like those others..there wouldn't be a need for it...Most come here because of it's layout and the way it is run.

Here there is a place for all.

Also  you can't judge the number of reads by the replies, we have learned this along the way. The poems are read  by many more than those who reply.

I hope that helps

Maureen

[This message has been edited by nakdthoughts (11-18-2003 06:54 PM).]

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
5 posted 2003-11-18 08:17 PM

Hi. We've talked about other ways to split the poems that are posted in Open. We have a holiday forum but everyone tends to poet their holiday poetry in Open anyway.

We thought about a Humor Forum. But the members said they like to come across a poem that makes them laugh sometimes.

We thought about a 'romance/love' forum but it's hard to determine which poetry should go there.

If you have some ideas or thoughts on dividing up the poetry in Open, please share them!!

I usually read poetry from 'Todays Topics' at the top of the page - it's one way to find everything that was posted or replied to today.

Thanks for bringing up this suggestion..we are always open for a dialogue on how we can improve!

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2003-11-18 08:27 PM

Yes, what our DeVine one said, please feel free to share your suggestions.

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
7 posted 2003-11-18 08:56 PM

We have over 30 active boards for posting poetry, prose, and discussions.  We also have 40 archived poetry boards for reading & commenting.  We're clearly already sufficiently "split."  

It seems to me that it would be more effective to conjure up some ideas about how to encourage our members to use more of these multifarious options...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » Board Suggestions

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary