navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » Signature Default
Suggestion Box
Post A Reply Post New Topic Signature Default Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration

0 posted 2002-02-27 03:19 PM

as brilliant as i can be (haha) i am very absent minded at times too - one of the things i forget to do the most often is to click the box that will append my 'signature' to a reply. i really think it would be cool to have a couple of default settings in our profiles to allow just that... uhmm... but to be difficult, i only want my signature to automatically show in replies, not my originating post... heh.

thanks

C

life = realizations, ironies, semantics, & bad analogies.
what more could one ask for?

© Copyright 2002 C.G. Ward - All Rights Reserved
Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
1 posted 2002-02-27 06:15 PM

ive always thought of that as a great idea

là où est mon amour?
donde está mi amour?
wo ist meine Liebe?
Nelly Furtado é a menina a mais bonita no mundo largo do todo.

Android 17
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-07-21
Posts 664
Winnipeg
2 posted 2002-03-29 09:28 PM

Yes...I agree---but it's become second nature to click on the Signature box now though...

Others are too in love with the sound of their own voice to speak the truth...

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
3 posted 2002-09-23 03:13 AM

No word on this?  I'd also find this great, and like you, I don't add signatures in my poems.

But my signature is killer.  Check it out:

Learn to place poetry before people
Before you place your poetry before the people.
~Andrey Kneller

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
4 posted 2002-09-24 04:53 AM

Good ol' Master.

Are there going to be any conclusions drawn on this?

"No wonder I do not make people comfortable. I am a mirror. I have far too many things to say." - Mouthing the Words

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
5 posted 2002-09-24 05:04 AM

it's been my experience over the past three years that lack of response is exactly that.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
6 posted 2002-09-24 05:05 AM

see, still forgetting the signature thingy...

would you think I were weak if I just break down?
oh and now it's coming on again
hold on, it won't take long
-Tabitha's Secret

Paddy
since 2002-09-23
Posts 52
Straya
7 posted 2002-09-27 08:55 AM

Hi Christopher

Your post is the reason I popped in here, to find out if any had made the suggestion, but not only for what you suggest but that the poster can choose his/her own defaults in the message icon, signature, library, poet and smilies. I have never visited a site where I cannot set these preferences as default though, I would not suggest that the options for their alteration be removed.

As an aside, I think Ron might be away or very busy because I sent hima n email a few days ago to which I have not had a response. (I learned from my last error and read all the posts b4 responding.)

I guess one becomes content with one’s poetry when one opens the book ten years hence and does NOT exclaim, “Did I really write this?”

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
8 posted 2002-09-27 11:52 AM

I haven't received your email, Paddy, so you might want to try again. Use the email icon in this post, rather than the board address, and it'll come directly instead of wending through our web server. Uh, and you can select a default for the message icon, as well as the font (in your Profile). What defaults would apply to the Library or smilies?

As Chris surmised (he knows me so well), lack of response usually indicates a problem. I would really rather not encourage the use of signatures and the last thing I would want is for them to become ubiquitous. Look at Chris's last post - the signature is three or four times longer than his message. Do we really need to see it on every single post he makes in the same thread? The next version of our software will handle sigs MUCH differently, and they will no longer be a part of the message itself (which means the server won't have to do the extra work of stripping the signature for edits, cards, etc). If I provided a default always-on signature, I'd have to remove it in our next software version - and I almost never take things away once they're given.

Paddy
since 2002-09-23
Posts 52
Straya
9 posted 2002-09-27 02:55 PM

Hi Ron

Must have been a glitch on the icon. It seems to be working now. I have sent a copy to your alternative addy, thanks.

I was referring to the other options, signature, add thread to library. add poet to library and disable smilies at the bottom of the composition window.

The other annoying thing I have found is if I do a preview, I lose the settings with regard to icon (though that may be OK now?) sig, library and smilies that I had already set. It's not so bad though because I now set them immediately b4 posting so if it's too difficult or time consuming, I wouldn't worry.

As for the signature, I like mine, probably because I wrote it. haha

Hey Ron, I think this is really cool that you respond so quickly. The board must keep you very busy. I appreciate your effort. Thanks.

I guess one becomes content with one’s poetry when one opens the book ten years hence and does NOT exclaim,
“Did I really write this?”

Krishankins
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2002-06-23
Posts 972
Texas
10 posted 2002-09-27 05:19 PM

Wonderful idea ron! I, too, forget to click that dang signature block when replying!!

Kris

Hey dog, did you see the size of that chicken!?

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » Signature Default

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary