navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » I would like to suggest...
Suggestion Box
Post A Reply Post New Topic I would like to suggest... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Panne447
since 2001-04-03
Posts 196
S.A. TX

0 posted 2001-04-17 12:49 PM

To Whomever Works the Computer Stuff:
I wonder if it is possible to allow for making edits in our posts or at least in our own poetry poets for a much longer time that 24 hours?  When changes or suggestions are made about our work presently, we can not make those changes unless we see them or unless they are made within that 24 hr window.  I, for one, would like to be able to get back in my poetry post and make those suggested changes, if I think there is merit in them, and get more input on the 'new' edited piece. As of now, we are not able to do so.   Is there any way to do that?  Does anyone else feel the need to have this change?  I would be interested in all your comments.
Thank you. Panne

[This message has been edited by Panne447 (edited 04-17-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Panne447 - All Rights Reserved
Linc
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-03-07
Posts 552
The Backstreet Boy
1 posted 2001-04-17 01:51 PM

Hey,

I see your point and I kind of agree but I am also wondering why the 24 hour limit was established in the first place there must have been a reason??? I think....

-- Linc

"Once you reach your original goal it seems that the journey was your real accomplishment."

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2001-04-17 02:03 PM

The 24 hour time frame was indeed incorporated for administrative reasons.  We want poets to have time to edit errors they  may find in their initial posts, and those are usually uncovered within that time frame.

If you need to make changes afterwards, feel free to contact an administrator, or the moderator of the forum where the post resides.  As long as it's a reasonable request, we'll be happy to help...

Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
3 posted 2001-04-17 07:12 PM

One major reason why you are only alloted 24 hours is the possibility of changing the poem and it's meaning altogether.  This could make the replies of other poets seem inconsistent, or even cause it not to apply at all.

As already said, if you want to edit your poem after the 24 hour grace period, you can contact one of the forum moderators to do it for you.

"So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this give life to thee."  W.S.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
4 posted 2001-04-17 11:21 PM

acire is right, and that's the principle reason the 24 hour window was implemented. We discovered it was very difficult to follow the replies to a post if the darn post keeps changing. There's no way to know if a reply is about what we just read, or if it's about something that was there two days ago. And, of course, it makes it impossible for anyone to learn from the evolution of the poem.

If you make changes to a poem based on advice in the responses, that's great. But the best way to handle that is not to edit the original and lose that learning environment (for everyone, not just the author!), but rather to post the revised poem in a new thread.

Panne447
since 2001-04-03
Posts 196
S.A. TX
5 posted 2001-04-18 01:34 AM

Dear Everyone. Thanks for your quick answers to my query.
Nan - I will try to get a hold of a moderator if I need help - can you tell me how I do this?  Thanks.

Acire - since this forum dates all edits, it would be easy to figure out the rewrites  from not only the edit dates vs the comments from the other poet's suggestions but by the author who I would think would say "Dear So & So I made the changes in line ? - does it seem better now?" or similar - we did that in another forum and I rarely had trouble figuring what happened and then only if the author made changes with no comments (most of those we could figure by changes made even w/o comments tho)
   And maybe you too could tell me a quick way to access a moderator. Thanks

Ron - As I usually read and critique when I come in first, I post my work after some time on the computer and then leave - a defense mechanism I think - post and run away and hide till I feel brave again -   so it is not usually till the next day or after a week-end when I can get back to it.  SO 24 hrs is already up before I even see my mistakes, let alone am able to make suitable changes to my piece due to someone else's insight.  This seems especially important in the Critical Analysis forum, to have more time to make suggest changes, don't you think? Especially since we have been asked not to do a lot of unnecessary reposts.  And when I posted in there it took a while before anyone responded so was wondering if maybe you could give a week's time in Critical Analysis?

I will repost in a new thread as you suggest. I didn't think we could or should do that. Having belonged to a site where the load was too heavy for the it and it continually crashed, I really dread something like that happening to this one.  Thanks for you help. Panne

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » I would like to suggest...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary