navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » An Observation
Suggestion Box
Post A Reply Post New Topic An Observation Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Jazzmole
since 2001-02-15
Posts 30
Texas

0 posted 2001-02-18 02:34 PM

Hello,
I am new to Passions and these are mere observations only, do with them what you like:
I've noticed that while the poetry forum #12 is deluged with posts (at a head-spinning rate), the other forums seem to be desolate. I would suggest a more fitting catagorization with, say, rhyming poetry with its own room; free verse with its own, etc. Not only would that allow posts to stay a bit longer that more may see and respond, it would allow the reader to better find his/her style in which to choose from. For instance, those who may not particularly like rhyme, wouldn't have to wade through entries of rhyme, etc.
Another thing I have noticed is the so-called Workshop and Critique rooms are a bit lacking. I have not seen much activity by the mods of the rooms and little or no "critiquing" of posts within them. I mean, it's all about getting better right? As a result, I've been hesitant to give critiques in them because I don't know how they would be accepted (ie line critique).
All in all, I like Passions. There is a plethora of good poets and kind people. These two things only, I have found could be improved.
Thank you,
Michael

© Copyright 2001 Michael - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 2001-02-18 06:42 PM

Hello, Jazzmole

It's nice to have you among us - and to hear your observations...

Interestingly enough, we've discussed opening "specialized" forums such as you suggest... While we've categorized poetry by theme, we haven't specified formats in any forums other than the Workshop.

The gist of our community has always been to share a variety of styles. Even with our thematic forums available, most of our poets invariably opt to post in the Open Poetry Forum with the majority of our members.

Also - the role of our moderators here at Passions is just that - to moderate - We don't want to dominate... not even in the Critical Analysis and/or Workshop forums. We feel that our members will benefit more from giving and receiving critiques from each other. So, while you'll see SOME feedback from us, the crux of all critique will emanate from the membership at large... You'll also see, as you comment upon others' work, whether they invite compeer critique.

This is a very cursory synopsis of the evolution of the principles behind Passions - I, personally, am very pleased to see input from our newest members... I'm looking forward to reading your work - Welcome - and thanks for sharing your feelings...

Nancy...

Waft every crest upon your destined sea.
Embrace the Wave of Serendipity,
Lest its elusive arcane ecstasy
Refurl with sail for all eternity.

Romy
since 2000-05-28
Posts 1170
Plantation, Florida
2 posted 2001-03-03 09:22 AM

Nan posts a new exercise in the poetry workshop once a month with very detailed instructions on the particular format. I like this because it gives me plenty of time to work on my poem and to read the others posted there. I have learned alot by reading the examples of others and ALWAYS there is a reply in the end from Nan!
I don't go in the critique forum often but I have learned that it helps to reply often to other poets who are also hoping for a critique on their work. I have had a couple of very helpful critiques from Brad!

Debbie

Moon Dust
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
3 posted 2001-03-08 01:28 PM

Is there gonna be a haiku + senryu catagory if so I'd really like to be moderater for something like that.

Don't ever give in, if you do you've lost everything you've ever had and everything you hope to gain, but if you carry on your already winning.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Suggestion Box » An Observation

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary