navwin » Discussion » Bug Swatter » adding poets to my library
Bug Swatter
Post A Reply Post New Topic adding poets to my library Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg

0 posted 2002-10-23 02:13 PM

Lately I've had trouble with the "add poets" function of the Private Library...

A while ago I decided to add a few poets to my library.  Now instead of just going around and tossing replies about for the sake of adding that poet, I used the library's "search for poets" function.  This works fine, and it would come up with the person I searched for ("Anawnda," for example)... however, when I clicked the "add poets" button, it brought me to a blank white page.  No change occurred in the content of my private library.

Recently I tried this a second time and found it equally disfunctional.  I'm even using a different browser this time, which makes it seem unlikely that it's a problem with my computer.  I get the "document: done" notification in the little bar at the bottom of my browser, too... so I don't see what's going awry here.

Anyways, any and all help would be appreciated here.

© Copyright 2002 Brian James Lee - All Rights Reserved
vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
1 posted 2002-10-23 04:14 PM

Hi, Brian.
I just tried it and it's working fine for me,
so I'm not sure why you're having trouble with it.
Are you remembering to check the little box
next to the poet's name, before you click 'add'?
Good luck.  I hope you get it worked out soon.
~Vicky

Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
2 posted 2002-10-23 04:46 PM

Hmm nope... doesn't work at these computers (the ones at the university) either... might be something to do with my user account then?  Strange that it would work for you, but not work for me from two different locations.
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2002-10-23 04:58 PM

Is it the same browser or OS at both stations? There's a known problem with white screens that has nothing to do with the Library. Balladeer, for example, hits them from time to time when replying. But I've never been able to duplicate the problem, nor have I found a common element.
Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
4 posted 2002-10-24 01:18 AM

heya Ron...

seems to me that the problem only ever comes up when I'm trying to add poets to my library from a poet search...

Both computers use different versions of Netscape, but the first time I tried this was with IE on my own PC... and I'm positive that the computers are connected by different ISPs.  I'm not sure what you mean by OS... but they connect to the internet in different ways, I'm sure.

With the older Netscape that the University computers use, I don't get a blank page - it simply says "the requested document returned no information" or something to that effect.  It doesn't bring up a new page.

It's not a huge impediment to me right now, I just thought it would be nice to have a few poets I'd thought of featured in my library.  But if I'm the only one having the problem, I can easily get around it.

Thanks...

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
5 posted 2002-10-24 04:31 AM

OS = Operating System (Win98, XP, Mac, etc).

I found the thread where others described a similar problem. In Balladeer's case, he was still able to post a reply even though the result was a white screen, i.e., clicking the Submit button just didn't take him to the expected page. Are you saying that not only do you see the white screen, but you also are unable to add Poets to your Library?

Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
6 posted 2002-10-24 08:16 AM

That's what I'm saying.  I get a white screen and nothing changes...

Both computers use windows, but I'm not sure which windows the University ones use.  I'm on 98 at home.

Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
7 posted 2002-11-30 12:46 PM

okay, the problem isn't fixed at all when I try to add them by replying...

if I check the "add poet to library" box, it doesn't work.  I will be able to reply but when I go to my library I still don't have any poets added to my library.  No white screen here, just simply doesn't add poets to my library.

Wait... and when I check the poem, my reply doesn't appear either.  Although in my private library it shows it having 4 replies, if I refresh the page of the poem, it still only shows 3...

[This message has been edited by Local Parasite (11-30-2002 12:48 PM).]

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
8 posted 2002-11-30 01:17 PM

It should be fixed now. The read/write disk permissions were whacky, though only on a handful of Members. I've made a note to keep an eye on it to see if it happens again.
Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
9 posted 2002-11-30 02:34 PM

ah, thanks much, Ron
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Bug Swatter » adding poets to my library

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary