navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Something to remember me by
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Something to remember me by Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

0 posted 2000-01-22 08:43 PM

What can I do to make him remember me? There is so little time left before he has to go back across the ocean... so far away. What can I do to make him think about me everyone once in awhile? All I'll think about is him, and I just want him to think about me everyone once in awhile... I look around my room. I don't have anything he would want! Those deep blue eyes come into my thoughts... All I wanted was those deep blue eyes to look into mine.. and I don't have much time now. I'll give him something amazing...wait, I don't have anything amazing! I laugh out loud at this thought. Instintively, I take my beetle toy out. I carry the thing everywhere. It's my dream car... it is kind of a manifestation of all my dreams. My dreams of traveling to Eruope, my dreams of having the car itself, dreams of him... My mind goes to the one time he really spoke to me. I had the car out at school, and he took it and said "nice German car", and gave it back to me.

Then the thought come into my head... he must know a little bit of how much this car means to me. I carry it everywhere. But can I let it go? It would be like letting go of a little bit of myself... but I would be giving it to HIM, to take to Eruope. If my dreams come true for the car, it will be a little bit like they are coming true for me. I give the little toy a kiss goodbye , stick it in my pocket, and head off to the going-away party.

The place is packed with people who want to wish him well. It takes me awhile to find him, but after awhile I see him... with his girlfriend. Oh God, I can't go up there! But then again, I can't NOT go up there. I gather all the courage I can find inside me and walk over there. Now I am right beside him. My heart is pounding, and it takes me a minute to say his name. He turns around and looks at me. At last, those eyes are looking into MINE! I stand frozen at the perfection of the moment, and then I hear myself say "Here's a little something to remember me by. I hope you had fun here, but I know you will be glad to go back". Then I hand him the toy bug. He looks it over, chuckles a bit, and says "Oh my gosh, she gave up the bug!", then he seems to look at me for an explaination. "Well, I've always wanted to go to Europe, and since I'll never go, I want my car to make it". It sounded like a really stupid explaination, and he didn't seem to buy it. He took my hand, looked into my eyes, and said "I'll keep your car for you, bug woman! And I'll think about you when I see it. Thank you". I give him a smile and walk away.

As I head for the door, I turn around and look at him one last time. He isn't giving much attention to his girlfriend (Who is already checking out other boys), he is playing with the car. With tears in my eyes, I whisper "Auf Wiedersehen".

Then I awake, still crying. Maybe it's a sign... I glance over at my toy bug. Maybe...

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world"

© Copyright 2000 Erica N. - All Rights Reserved
Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
1 posted 2000-01-22 10:53 PM

This brought a smile to my face -- I could just imagine what it would take to get me to give up my sword! (my most prized possession LOL)

There was just enough of this to keep it interesting, without too much detail that would overload a short piece.  The only thing that I would suggest is that you give "him" a name, so that you don't have to use the pronoun quite so often.  

Thanks for a cute read ...

--Kess

Full fathom five thy father lies,
Of his bones are coral made,
Those are pearls that were his eyes;
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange...

--William Shakespeare, from The Tempest

Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
2 posted 2000-01-23 01:38 AM

What a lovely little story!  Definetly a piece to bring a smile to one's face.  Thanks for a good read and a smile  

In flames I shall not be consumed, but reborn. -- Abrahm Simons

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
3 posted 2000-01-28 05:20 AM

I think that by the evidence of these words, you could hardly NOT be remembered!!!
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

4 posted 2000-01-28 10:35 PM

Thanks for the comments, everyone! Chris, I wish that were true!  

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world"

Maverick Wolf
since 1999-11-13
Posts 94
Scandia, MN
5 posted 2000-01-28 10:35 PM

Wonderful piece.  I have only one question because I don't know any german.  What is the translation of what you whisper near the end?
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
6 posted 2004-06-08 09:15 PM

Hence, the LoveBug! Cool, now I get it. You ARE a sweetie. Fun read...

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

7 posted 2004-06-08 09:30 PM

I"m gonna have to post something new so you'll stop bring up THIS! :P

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
State of constant confusion!
8 posted 2004-06-14 03:17 AM

I loved, absolutely, LOVED this! I agree with Linda; "there was just enough of this to keep it interesting, without too much detail that would overload a short piece."

Yup, that sums it up quite nicely!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Something to remember me by

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary