navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Mystical Evening
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Mystical Evening Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada

0 posted 2000-01-06 11:27 AM

Before we get into the story, I want to say that this piece took forever for me to write. The story was always there but the words would not flow. I alologize for the sloppiness and roughness of this piece. It was all I could do just to write it. In finishing it I hope my muse has returned.

She floated across the ballroom floor as if her feet never touched the ground. She was
a vision in a black gown that flowed to her feet. Her blonde curls were bundled on top of
her head and soft tendrils  cascaded around her face. Her eyes glowed from the iridescent
light of the room. The entire night had a mystical quality to it, to which Monique's beauty
magnified. 'Twas New Years Eve; the beginning of a new year, a new century as well as a
new millennium.

Monique found a glass of Champaign to toast the new year as the minutes ticked away.
She moved to the rear of the crowd as they moved to the middle of the ballroom for the
awaited time. The clock struck midnight and the crowd cheered "Happy new Millennium";
a chorus of "Auld Lang Syne" began from the band. She closed her eyes and felt him there
beside her even though he was so far away. In her heart she wished him a happy new year.
When she opened her eyes she toasted the room; small pieces of silver confetti floated in
the air, catching in her hair. She listened to the celebration around her; part of the crowd
but yet separate. There were few that knew her heart but many that admired her. A small
smile formed on her lips as she moved through the crowd; giving the ones she knew a new
years kiss. She stopped at the cloak room to retrieve her wrap then stepped out into the
night.

She strolled homeward; the chill night air was enticing and she lived only a few blocks
from the grand hotel. She drew in a deep full breath of the crisp night air and pulled her
wrap tightly around her. It was a bitter sweet night for Monique, the joy and celebration of
the occasion, yet she did not share it with the one in her heart. As she walked she listened
to the sounds of a city in party mode. There was laughter and music in the air; with each
block the music changed but the sounds of celebration remained the same. She smiled at
the happiness she heard as she neared her home. Glancing up she noticed something on
her stoop. She could not make it out because of the distance but something was there.

She picked up her pace slightly as her curiosity peeked. As she drew closer the object
became recognizable, it was a bouquet of roses. Confusions flashed across her pretty
features and her pace slowed. From the shadows stepped a figure in a tuxedo, tall, dark
and handsome. Tears formed in her eyes; she knew instantly who he is. Somehow he had
made it to her for this special night. The smile beamed from his eyes "Happy New Year
my love." He whispered as he drew her into his arms. Never had she felt so complete, so
loved and so safe. "How where you able to be here Jake? I am so happy that you made it."
She sighed into his neck. "It is a long story my sweet and one I will tell you later." With
that he lifted her face to his and kissed her lips softly, gently, passionately.

When he pulled his lips from hers he suggested putting the roses in some water so that
they might enjoy the rest of this magical evening. Once the roses were safely deposited
into a vase of fresh water they ventured into the night. Into the celebration of a new year;
a new millennium; a new life......together.

[This message has been edited by Marilyn (edited 01-08-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Marilyn - All Rights Reserved
Pepper
Member Elite
since 1999-08-19
Posts 3079
Southern Florida
1 posted 2000-01-06 11:55 AM

Ah....I love a happy ending!  
Wonderful imagery here Marilyn....I was right there and felt Monique's emotions all the way through....
I really enjoyed reading this piece..
Well Done!!!  
So happy to hear that your muse has returned and I'll be looking forward to your next work!!!< !signature-->

A soul that writes from the heart and shares it, truly gives a gift extraordinaire!
  Shannon

[This message has been edited by Pepper (edited 01-06-2000).]

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
2 posted 2000-01-06 12:54 PM

*sobbing and sighing here* Well girl, you went and did it with this piece. You touched my heart and the born romantic in me very deeply. I thought back to my wish, back in July to spend my New Years with a man who cared about me...well, my dreams didn't exactly come true, but I did have the priveledge to ring it in with a few friends here online.
Anyway, I'm glad your muse is back and wonderful piece of prose  

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

3 posted 2000-01-06 01:33 PM

This is wonderful, Marilyn! I think your writer's block is cured! Beautiful story!  

Denise

Grandma Jo
since 2000-01-02
Posts 51

4 posted 2000-01-06 08:48 PM

Great stuff Marilyn, but then I am beginning to realize that my Daughter-in-law is quite remarkable at many things.  Always enjoy your writing!  Love always, Jo

[This message has been edited by Grandma Jo (edited 01-06-2000).]

Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
5 posted 2000-01-06 10:16 PM

Jo...oh Jo!! It is so good to finally see you registered here. As soon as I saw the handle I knew it was you. It is so good to have you Grandma. ((HUG)) Welcome to Passions and get posting dome of your great work!!

To the rest of my friends here...thankyou for you praise with this piece. I am not happy with the finished product but considering it has take so long to write so few words I am satisfied.

Ruth...What would I do with out you my friend? You are so very precious to me.

Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
6 posted 2000-01-06 10:21 PM

I enjoyed this piece, Marilyn, I especially like the ending.  Very emotional, Thanks for posting this, looking forward to seeing more works  

In flames I shall not be consumed, but reborn. -- Abrahm Simons

roxane
since 1999-09-02
Posts 505
us
7 posted 2000-01-06 11:21 PM

i so hope that this was non-fiction, and that such a picturesque new years occured somewhere.  what a touching story.
PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
8 posted 2000-01-07 12:04 PM

Very well done!!! Emotion so real it jumped off the screen. I too hope that this happened for somebody on that magical night.

Poetry~ Words falling on paper, painting a dream.

Shawna R. Holder
Boise, Idaho

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
9 posted 2000-01-07 05:44 PM

Very well written Marilyn and such a perfect ending to romance--just the way we all want it to happen.

In the dew of little things,
the heart finds its morning
and is refreshed.
(ee cummings)

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
10 posted 2000-01-08 03:07 PM

Uhh, Marilyn...you're doing it again...sigh.
I was there on New Years, with my heart empty of the one I wished to be with. If only a happy ending for me.

Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
11 posted 2000-01-09 01:48 PM

I do truely hope this happened to someone on that magical night.

Chris...I know exactly what you are saying. I too was alone on new years eve, longing for that one special person. Someday my friend we will see our hearts full.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
12 posted 2000-01-09 01:59 PM

Beautiful writing, Marilyn, and the theme that love is out there and happy endings are possible to those who believe is very refreshing...and important. My best to you!!
Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
13 posted 2000-01-20 05:31 PM

Marilyn, I'm so glad I read this, eventhough I was "late". LOL Loved this story from the first 'til the last word. I think I even forgot to breath. : )
tuffluv66
since 2011-05-13
Posts 121
Iowa, U.S.A.
14 posted 2011-08-04 10:08 PM

I love it. Seems like there is a connection here,but with 11 years in between. lol
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Mystical Evening

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary