navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Transitions
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Transitions Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2021-08-28 01:35 AM

Transitions
By Larry Chadwick

I’ve been asked many times if I’d like to be young again. And I’ve decided I finally have an answer for that question: I’d like to be young still. I didn’t find being a teenager for easy. And initially I found being adult even harder. I’ve had to reinvent my career about six times. I found unemployment devastating. So here I am discovering how really awkward it is to be the same age as old people. But the straight no chaser answer to being young again is: NO!

I’d like to explain. I was on the beginning of being the fifth generation on both sides of my family. I’ve been experiencing death to routinely my entire life. Now don’t misunderstand me. I love loving. I’m passionate about love. Love is costly. But love is so rewarding. And not loving? That’s just indifference. I’d say that’s a living hell. Indifference creates no memories just nightmares.

My parents each had eight brothers and sisters. I have over sixty first cousins. Family has been a haven for my entire life. But so many to love also means so many to lose. And then there has been this large community of diverse poets. Again so many opportunities to connect and love. But when there is a loss the love for that one has nowhere to go. It’s enough to make your heart explode in grief. So many explosions just create craters of sorrow.

But I have to ask: what’s left. All those memories. Ah the memories. I’m persuaded sainthood isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Yet I’ll confess I choose to categorize my memories. And I see little value in retaining the bad things about the people I have loved. Like grudges it serves no purpose except to embitter your heart. Nothing can put a smile on my face quite as big as good memories. I know because I have watched many of five generations of family die, including my daughter.

Similarly are the losses experienced in the different seasons of life. Like writing here in these blue pages. I could have never imagined it would end. But like life itself all good things eventually come to an end. But I can’t begin to express how much my time here has impacted my life because of so many of you. Thank you Ron for having such a huge heart. Confession: this has rivaled church for me because of the generous giving nature of all the poets I have interacted with here. You saw me through the darkest days of my life. Pain so unbearable. Grief burrowed deep in sorrow!

Truth: I’ll choose love over indifference. Besides I’ve not seen an age I didn’t like. I’m on Facebook. Hit me up.
August 27,2021

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2021 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
1 posted 2021-08-28 07:36 AM

Larry, this is beautiful and so very heartwarming. It is truly amazing how these pages have so many of our lives etched throughout them. Thank “you” for being a part of our lives and memories here as well.

Best wishes, love and hugs to you,
/Kit

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Transitions

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary