navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Shifty Parents- My English Issue Paper
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Shifty Parents- My English Issue Paper Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
chylenedoney
since 2010-10-14
Posts 27
Idaho, USA

0 posted 2011-02-04 01:12 AM

An issue that really peaks me is how parents treat their kids.

They dictate and lie to their kids then expect them to respect them for it. The dictionary definition of respected is to be considered worthy of high regard. Worthy meaning you've earned it. Many parents seem to be under the impression that being older and more violently intimidating grants them the right to demand respect. My "parents", for example, think that because they are older, have jobs, and play the Stalin role in the house; they  deserve my respect and demand my "obediance".

Many dictators fell because they decided that because they had the power to intimidate, their subjects would respect and be loyal to them. Nope. Mussolini was hanged and then his body was pulled around Italy behind a horse then put on display, Hitler committed suicide, and Saddam Hussein was tried and executed on public television. How can you love and respect a bully?

Verbal abuse is what we kids get every day, and in return we are expected to jump every time some random adult says so. Teenagers rebel as a result as this kind of tyranny.

Am I the only one who noticed that parents dote on kids other than their own, more than their own?

I, myself, consider it an extreme put down when my parents imply that other kids in other families are better than me. It hurts deepply. I am sick of wasting my life trying to get a positive word from the lips of the simpletons who are supposed to love me.

It seems that in a lot of families, parental love is a matter of materialism and usefulness rather than unconditional love and a warm sense of kinship. I want to be loved for who I am; not what I do around the house. The point of being a parent is not to breed free servants, but wanting the responsibility of sharing your love and providing for another.

Nobody asks a child how his/her parents treat them behind closed doors, either. Maybe nobody cares enough to want to know. Parents treat their kids more courteously in public to keep their image of being a good loving parent. Nobody sees what happens behind that facade of happiness, perfection, and love.

Parents don't understand that kids have hard enough lives without them adding to it. We have school to deal with, and many of us leave behind schoolwork only to be met with house work. So many parents, it seems, care more about how their house looks than how their children's grades are. But I suppose in a society where one dominates solely because they are older and consider themselves smarter: parents that value cleanliness and self-image more than literacy, love, and health; are relatively normal, therefore overlooked.

Blackwidowgurl

[This message has been edited by chylenedoney (02-04-2011 04:21 PM).]

© Copyright 2011 Chylene Doney - All Rights Reserved
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
1 posted 2011-02-04 07:39 AM

"But I suppose in a society where one dominates solely because they are older and consider themselves smarter: parents that value cleanliness and self-image more than literacy, love, and health; are relatively normal, therefore overlooked."

If this is true for you, I feel for you, but to say that "Most parents" and "many" is  an opinion and not fact.

You may be able to  write and discuss your own situation and even maybe those of your closest friends but not for the majority.

I would think  "good" parents are trying to instill upon their teenaged children a good work ethic  both at home and out in the world, whether in school or at a job. They are trying to prepare you for the world.

How many children come home and don't ever discuss their day with their parents so that they feel included instead of answering  to the parents question " How was your day?" and they just say "ok".

How many children  go and seek some help from a guidance counselor if they feel they are verbally or physically abused at home?

How many parents are both working to "provide" those materials that a child  practically demands today for example: play stations, cell phones,  wii's, computers,   etc...that a child would rather spend hours on instead of contributing to the homelife?

There are two sides to this and both the parent and the child may be at fault and should be able to discuss this with each other rather than to come down so hard on one side or the other.

Just my opinion as a former child from a large family/ a former teacher now substitute and adult( who sees and hears of many situations).

p.s. if this is to be handed in I don't think you want to use the term "As if".

You have brought up many good points.

One more thing, do your best and  be proud of who you are and what you accomplish. There will be many instances when you would love to hear positive feedback and for whatever the reason, will not get it. So do for YOU and know you have done your best.
M

chylenedoney
since 2010-10-14
Posts 27
Idaho, USA
2 posted 2011-02-04 10:36 AM

Actually I already turned this paper in. I got an A-. And considering that this is a highschool issue paper, it is specifically based on opinion and personal experience

Blackwidowgurl

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
3 posted 2011-02-04 01:28 PM

Maureen, I really appreciated all the input you posted on this story, and your knowledge goes without question, on this subject.

This "paper" holds some age old questions - and over the years, the questions are still the same, and only the answers have changed.

I enjoyed your story.  

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
4 posted 2011-02-04 06:03 PM

chylenedoney
Well then be very proud of yourself for getting that A-...

M ( and since I had very little to go on other than you saying this was for  school, I was just giving you some more insight so that you don't  think the majority of parents  act this way.)

I hope you have let your parents see your paper...it's  a perfect opening for discussion

chylenedoney
since 2010-10-14
Posts 27
Idaho, USA
5 posted 2011-02-04 07:05 PM

Actually.... They dont even no I wrote this. they would have a total COW.

Blackwidowgurl

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
6 posted 2011-02-04 11:27 PM

Well then have a hug from me...and know that there are those out there and on here that care and can tell you are a very bright and caring person who deserves acknowledgement for everything you work hard for.

M

Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!
7 posted 2011-02-04 11:55 PM

Hey chylenedoney,

I thought this was a very insightful easay.  Hopefully, some day you can read it when you are a parent and remember - maybe someday you will show this to your parents and they will learn from your words.  Save it, please, even if you don't show it to anyone in your family (or future family).  

I hated being a teenager.  My parents weren't the best, but when I look at their parents, I realize that they didn't have the best environment to learn from.  Know what I mean?  I have never been a parent, but it has to be the hardest job in the world (right up there with being a teenager).

Good job on the A-.  Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Alison

chylenedoney
since 2010-10-14
Posts 27
Idaho, USA
8 posted 2011-02-05 08:32 PM

thank you all. will somebody pleeeeeeze read and comment my other posts, An Unbroken Connection- prologue and then An Unbroken Connection- chapter 1?? I really want some insight from people other than my family and friends!

Blackwidowgurl

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
9 posted 2011-02-09 05:58 PM

Enjoyed...I was in a family where my father was controlling and manipulating and my mother was obedient to him and passive to us...I find solace in reading books that share the virtues that I admire and then practicing those virtues...one book I have found helpful is "The Five Languages of Love" by Gary Chapman....James
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Shifty Parents- My English Issue Paper

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary