navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Beauty and the Idiot (short story)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Beauty and the Idiot (short story) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JDH
since 2009-03-29
Posts 12
Illinois, U.S.

0 posted 2011-01-07 05:49 PM

It's common to tell a story by taking a long series of linear and non linear events and condensing them into a linear sequence of the more dramatic and relevant highlights.  Here, I've taken an insignifigant (to anyone else) moment in time and applied elaboration to create a short story...something different..ps pardon some of my spelling.

Beauty and the Idiot

Right about the time he started wondering if the phone conversation was going well or just not not going well, it was ending.  
    "Well I'm gonna let ya go. Talk to ya later." she said, distracted by a second interaction she was having.  
    "Awesome, sounds good".  
    "Bye" she giggled.
    "Later".
     They had chewed the fat for about fifteen minutes, mulling over the details of some relevant subject matter, then moving on to small talk,  sharing some comments about movies and directors they'd both watched.   Appearantly John Cullen is an immensely inventive, doom hearted man who tends to toroturously overvalue the visual signifigance of innocuous physical objects in his films.  Appearantly Eric Seaton has a wicked case of the A.D.D.
     Nothing of the recent conversation really stuck with him as he walked back inside from his cigarette break.  Nothing except one thing.  "Awesome, sounds good."  Really?  What kind of response is that to "Talk to you later"?  Why didn't he just go ahead and say "I'm a toolbaggy tard man that you probably shouldn't waste anymore of your sprint anytime minutes on...ever"?  It wasn't as if they had hashed out a plan.  It wasn't like she said "I'll come by tomorrow" or even "I'll call you this weekend".   She gives him a generic, preprogrammed vocal departure and he tells her not only does that sound good, but is in fact AWESOME.  Lame...no...pitiful.   The words themselves must have been confused as they came out of his mouth, feeling embarrassed as though they had accidentally been dropped off at the wrong conversation...naked.  He knew that if he noticed it, she probably did too.  At that point, all he could really do was hope that too many of her gray cells were allocated to her other conversation to notice.   If she did  pick up on his dropping of the banter ball, with any luck she found the odd reply charming...perhaps in a candid,  vulnerable sort of way. Perhaps in a "he's dork, but he's an honest, heart on his sleeve kind of dork".  He chalked the whole thing up to another piece of evidence as to why she dumped his lame ass last year.  She went on to give her chick friend the skinny on the guy she was just talking to on the phone. Appearantly, her "kinda cool, kinda dorky, kinda sensitive, kinda hot" ex-boyfriend just said the goofiest, cutest thing.

THE END

© Copyright 2011 JDH - All Rights Reserved
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
1 posted 2011-02-03 06:24 PM

enjoyed...James
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Beauty and the Idiot (short story)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary