navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » SHARIA...Read and come to your own conclusion
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic SHARIA...Read and come to your own conclusion Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA

0 posted 2010-10-21 08:05 PM

SHARIA...Read and come to your own Conclusion

"While it is true that many Muslims do not follow the directures of Shariah, let alone engage in jihad, too many of them-to borrow a metaphor from Mao-provide the sea in which the jihades swim."..."Shariah:The Threat to America", page 18.

If I were to tell you that Shariah was a threat to America, would you believe me?

What if a group of Top Security Policy Experts got together and came up with that conclusion, would you believe them?

You can read their 149 page report for yourself and come to your own conclusion:  The report is titled "Shariah" The Threat to America" and is available online at www.securefreedom.org.

"Key finding" According to shariah, every faithful Muslim is obligated to wage jihad (whether violent or not) against those who do not adhere to this conmprehensive, totalitarian, political-military code."...from the report "Shariah: The Threat to America"...page 23.

JamesLee
21October

© Copyright 2010 JamesMichael - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat
since 2010-10-30
Posts 1991
Louisiana/America
1 posted 2010-10-31 07:17 AM

Thanks for this information, and although I know that Sharia is a meance to any country where it is practiced, I am still happy to get this. Thanks again.

. . . and the Raven said, %!~#&(&#!$!

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

2 posted 2010-11-01 03:09 AM

SHARIA...Read and come to your own Conclusion
quote:

"While it is true that many Muslims do not follow the directures of Shariah, let alone engage in jihad,

In order for me to believe that Shari'ah is a current threat in the United States, I would need to believe that many Muslims in the United States specifically follow the prescriptions of Sharia in preference to United States law.  I would need to see a solid estimate on that percentage, and the factors on which that estimate was based.  I would need to be in substantive agreement with these things.  

I am not currently in that situation.  I have known and worked with a fair number of Muslim men — specifically, men — over the past 30 or so years, many or most of them U.S. citizens or holders of Green Cards.  Before that time, I grew up knowing Muslim graduate students who were friends of my parents.  While some of them had complaints about U.S. foreign policy, such as the overthrow of duly elected democratic governments in Iran, for example, and the support of police states in other Muslim countries, such as Iraq in the mid-seventies to the mid-eighties, and our support of the Saudi government for one reason or another, they generally had good reasons for their beefs, and they were not interested in pushing Muslim beliefs on anybody.  If you wanted to ask them about Islam, they'd talk.  Mostly, they kept quiet and were quite law abiding folk.  They supported others in the communities in being law abiding and they liked America for the most part.  Those who became Americans loved America as much as any other Americans.

My personal experiences with Muslims simply does not bear out the sort of stuff that Mr. Lee is talking about.  

quote:

too many of them-to borrow a metaphor from Mao-provide the sea in which the jihades swim."..."Shariah:The Threat to America", page 18.

If I am to understand this correctly, this translates into plain language this way — There are a lot of Muslims who are simply not the way we describe them at all.  You shouldn't fear them.  In fact, that describes the overwhelming proportion of Muslims, just as talking Christians by and large describes law-abiding and God-fearing folks whose thoughts at their most religious, tend to be about love, mercy and charity.

The fact that there are nutty Christians who want to bring about the final Days and will do most any crazy thing possible to do so, including starting race wars and dropping nuclear bombs, is not something that it's remotely fair to use to characterize the majority of Christians.  Nor would it be fair to say that the more irrational Christians are using the peace loving Christians as camouflage.  And to use a metaphor gleaned from the writings of Mao, would simply be a way of making the whole comparison look sinister instead of stupid.

It is stupid.

The fact that it is being offered as legitimate because it is being offered about Muslims is an insult to the intelligence of Americans, as though ordinary Americans can't see that what would be a cruel and stupid comparison about Christians isn't also a cruel and stupid comparison about Muslims and wouldn't also be a cruel and Stupid comparison about Jews.

quote:

If I were to tell you that Shariah was a threat to America, would you believe me?

If you could prove it, yes.

quote:

What if a group of Top Security Policy Experts got together and came up with that conclusion, would you believe them?

What would qualify these folks as top security policy experts?  Simply because you tell me they are top security policy experts, doesn't mean that I agree with you.  After all, I wouldn't expect you to agree with me as to what comprised such a thing.  We'd have to sit down and talk these things out and come to some sort of agreement, and then discuss people one at a time, wouldn't we?

And yet you suggest that simply because you suggest that you've got a list of such people that I would agree with it, and that, by some miracle, we'd both be right?  This seems to be stretching the bounds of likelihood to me.

quote:

"Key finding" According to shariah, every faithful Muslim is obligated to wage jihad (whether violent or not) against those who do not adhere to this conmprehensive, totalitarian, political-military code."...from the report "Shariah: The Threat to America"...page 23.

What the report apparently does not tell you is the difference between the sorts of jihad, and the nature of the most important type is the struggle between man (and a specific man) against his own nature, and his difficulty in bringing his own less loving self to heel.  Any sort of armed and military struggle is far lower on the list of important things than that.

This doesn't mean that there aren't Jews who don't want to build the third temple on the Temple Mount or Christians who would hasten the coming of the Anti-Christ, or Muslims who want to conquer and convert the world.  There are.  It's simply that we seem to worry a lot about the other people's looney-tunes and figure our own don't need to be sat upon as harshly, maybe because they're ours or maybe because we realize how crazy they really are, and think that they aren't all that important in the scheme of things.

There's not a lot that's going to protect you from the craziness of others, you know, except, maybe, dealing fairly and justly and compassionately with others yourself.  It may be worth a try.

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
3 posted 2010-11-14 09:32 PM

Thank you Jerry Pat and Bob K for reading and responding...good thoughts Bob K...about your personal experiences with Muslims but their are some parts that will require more of your time and energy...I don't often respond to what I'll call negative responses to my writing because I know there are opposing points of view and I want to encourage them both, but in this case I believe you need to look at the report before you come to conclusions, so you can determine the issues of the credibility of the experts and the nature of their report.  Specifically which expert do you disapprove of or consider unqualified to write this report?  If you decide to read the report you will be in a better position to make an accessment of the reliability of the report and I will be more able to understand the reasoning of your position when its based on the content of the report and not personal experiences or speculation.  Think about it...
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » SHARIA...Read and come to your own conclusion

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary