navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » As The Night Grew Dim - Prologue
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic As The Night Grew Dim - Prologue Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Just.Another.Falling.Star
since 2008-05-08
Posts 422
Canada

0 posted 2009-05-05 10:47 PM

So, I'm new here, although I write fiction all the time, I've never thought to post anything on here, so I'd love it if I could get some feedback on this, lol. Thanks so much!

I never thought it would come to this; standing here, alone--I mean. My past memories were no where to be seen in my future. All that’s left is me and what I make of the dark.
Moisture covers my hands, my legs start to shake. I can feel the hot breathe of someone behind me, although I have absolutely no idea who this person, or thing is. All I know, is that whatever happens from here, will either make me or break me.
“Do you know what I am..?” asks the sly creature behind me.

I pause, because fright has overcome me.

“Answer me!” he yelled and I flinched slightly.
“You’re something that has no right to do this to another human being.” I replied; and with that, my world I once knew, was once again dark.

julianna

.:.:~]you clicked your heals and wished for me[~:.:.

© Copyright 2009 Julianna - All Rights Reserved
Falling rain
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2008-01-31
Posts 2178
Small town, Illinois
1 posted 2009-05-12 09:14 PM

Wow Julianna!! This could be like a part of a book. I really liked it. The opening line just drew me in. (I like that in stories haha.) Uhm I'm new to this forum too so I don't know what to correct you on in this. Haha. Library!!!

-Zach

I love my crayons. :D lol

Just.Another.Falling.Star
since 2008-05-08
Posts 422
Canada
2 posted 2009-05-12 09:15 PM

lol, yay!!! thanks zach!!! and yeah, lol..i'm trying to put this into a book, lol. except i can't figure out the first chapter, lol *sighs*.

julianna

.:.:~]you clicked your heals and wished for me[~:.:.

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

3 posted 2009-05-17 12:57 PM

Hi just.

Since I love dark writing and since I'm kinda too scared to try getting anything published, I like hanging around here and offering constructive criticism, which I'll do now.

Firstly, your tenses keep going back and fourth - past and present.  This can be a good literary device but I think you might have done it more by mistake (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that call   

For example,
"My past memories were no where to be seen in my future. All that’s left is me and what I make of the dark."

Secondly, why is the text of this piece of prose centered?  If you were going for some kind of effect with the centering I'm not sure what it is.  And usually, centered text tends not to look all that great anyway.

Thirdly, your grammar is a tad awkward.  For example, "I can feel the hot breathe of someone behind me, although I have absolutely no idea who this person, or thing is."

Breathe is present tense.  As in, I breathe.  I think you're looking for the phrase "hot breath."  

In another example:  "All I know, is that whatever happens from here, will either make me or break me."  The comma is un-necessary.  You could rewrite that sentence like this:
"All I know is that whatever happens here will either make or break me."

I look forward to seeing more parts of this story.  It sounds like your narrator is undergoing.... some kind of test?  I gathered that from the "make or break" bit.  Is it a test in which his/her moral beliefs are being challenged by a horrible creature?  

Life's short.  Think hard!
Me!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » As The Night Grew Dim - Prologue

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary