navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Letter to Kacy
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Letter to Kacy Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Alison
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2008-01-27
Posts 9318
Lumpy oatmeal makes me crazy!

0 posted 2008-12-02 12:46 PM

Dear Kacy,

I feel compelled to write to you tonight.  Yes, I could email my letter, but I don't want to.  So, I won't.  I am a bit self-indulgent that way.  But, I have a reason for posting my letter.  Too often, we write when people need prayers or reassurance.  We write when we miss them and they move on for a bit.  We wonder where they are ... and, maybe, we email them ask if they are okay.  Usually, we just wonder and go about our day.

So why a letter to you?

Well, I feel a connection to you.  You lived in the interior where I live.  You know about the Northern Lights and ice fog and -55 below days. You know about plugging in the car and stoking the woodstove and how wood splits better when it gets colder outside.  You know about wild iris on the roadsides and 24 hours of daylight in the summer and twenty hours of darkness in the winter.  You understand when I say I never wear a dress.  You know what Bunny Boots are.  You know that a fashion statement in Alaska is patterned Polar Fleece.

Without knowing me, you knew me when I came to PiP.  Without knowing you, I saw your name and knew you.  It's a link thing - and I feel it strongly with you.

My second reason is that as you fight for health, I want you to know how often I think about you.  Little things make me smile - I remember first hearing about Gaia in Physical Geogrpahy - the professor said I would like the class because he used cartoons teaching it.  Who would not love a class like that?  I pictured looney toons and he meant graphs and charts.  He was a cruel joke all by himself and I worked hard to torture him (and succeeded) in every class of his I took.  Your love of nature shines with every poem you post.  I have learned to see the world differently through your eyes and words.   Thank you.

My next reason is your writing about the Oregon Coast (your "Nessie") comes to mind as I write this to you.  I have always loved the Oregon Coast.  If I left Alaska and could move anywhere - yep, it would be the Oregon Coast.  I would want to live on a secluded part of the beach with no one around.  I would want large windows in my house so I could see the water all the time (Hey, it's my dream!!!).  I love the beach, waves and rocks of the Oregon Coast - heck, I even love the rain.

Finally, I want you to know that you have changed me in some ways.  I see my day with more awareness of the beauty around me.  I saw the sliver of the moon tonight over the mountains towards Delta and thought of you.  The moon was orange and the mountains were barely visible.  I thought of you.

Kacy, that is who you are to me.  You are all the beauty of nature wrapped around my day.

Thank you for sharing pieces of you.

Alison

© Copyright 2008 Alison - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2008-12-02 09:14 AM

Alison my dear, you've made me smile, laugh, and cry all at once. Not an easy thing to do!
I do know about those bulky bunny boots and designer fleece, LOL, as well as our lady of the lights and the meandering moose.

If my words touch you with the hands of nature, that means they work. For Nature works the magic, and we merely use words to share her magnificence.

I felt a special kinship with you the first time reading you, and it transcends time and location, dear Alison. You are one of Pips absolute very best. You are a natural writer with a generous heart, a gift to cherish beyond mere words.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for this beautiful sensitive timely write.
I will cherish your true friendship forever.

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
2 posted 2008-12-02 05:51 PM

wonderful reading, Alison...

Both of you bring a "specialness" to the forums.

M

JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

3 posted 2008-12-03 07:24 PM

Alison, such beautiful images from your real world and your dream world in this lovely write - wild iris by the roadside, the Northern lights, the beach, the rocks, and the waves. But what is most striking of all is your beautiful heart, the way you open it to let  those you care about in.
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
4 posted 2008-12-04 10:23 PM

When tender hearts meet it is such a pleasure to be standing near to see and feel it. Thank you both for your words. your thoughts and for being just you."late"
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

5 posted 2008-12-07 12:01 PM

This is a very touching letter and I've no idea who it is you are talking about.  But that is probably for the better because I can now appreciate the use of language for the end to which you put it without having occasion to dispute or agree with any of the things you write.

Thanks for sharing.  

Life's short.  Think hard!
Me!

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2010-03-06 03:19 PM

Thanks for linking me here, Aligirl. I thought of Kacy today when I took Poe and Twain to Lakewood Park to walk by the water - their first trip there, and my first around part of the lake, along the walkways. I thought of Kacy as the clouds played hide and seek with the sun, which is trying to warm our day all the way to 60 degrees. Here I am in clamdigger pants and short sleeved shirt, so warm it seemed in the cool later/winter - early/spring air. Our winter has been long and gray - although never as cold as yours.

I thought of sharing with Kacy and you the fact that I saw Sarah Palin a few weeks ago and was highly impressed that she could make fleece look so refined. It was a biting 28 F out that evening and I'm sure she thought it temperate.

Ali, it is easy to see what you and Kacy had and have in common. And it's good to have the reminders of love and friendship to be seen for as long as computers and sites might last, here in the blue pages.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
7 posted 2010-03-08 01:09 PM

Alison, I am sorry I missed this 2 years ago, but very glad to have found it now.  Thank you.

Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Letter to Kacy

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary