navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Price of Rice
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Price of Rice Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA

0 posted 2008-04-15 04:49 AM

The Price of Rice

Seems the oil tiger has struck again, as rising fuel and fertilizer prices have caused the price of rice worldwide to increase about 80% since January 2007.  This greatly affects the supplies of rice for Countrys such as the Philippines, Cambodia, VietNam, Thailand, India and China in which the poorer people rely heavily on rice.  The price of rice would not be so high if not for dishonest traders buying it at subsidized prices and then reselling it at the higher market prices.

JamesLee
15April

© Copyright 2008 JamesMichael - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2008-04-15 02:07 PM

The basic scenario is on-going here in the states, as well, James. The average grocery price has risen over 10% in many areas, all due to the rise in gas prices.

Sigh.

Good time to go on a diet, I guess.

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
2 posted 2008-04-17 03:51 PM

Oh yes Sunshine, I have noticed...the truckers are starting to get discontented, as their fuel expenses climb...and I believe that its at least 90% of the products we consume are delivered by truckers...
If we owned the bulk of the oil we could increase production and bring the prices down, but countries such as Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Russia control much of the worlds oil and they are not sympathetic with us, as they feel for many decades the prices were too low, and now they are concerned with maximizing profits to continue the fueling of their economys...James

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2008-04-17 08:21 PM

I'm going to be very forward here, James, and say "Capitalism; democracy."

Kind is as kind gets?

I can remember back in the early 1980's, when an employer of mine would go to Europe for a three-week business trip and tell us when he came back that gas in Europe was well over $3.00....

that was in 1982!

And we pushed the Euro into our democracy?

What are they paying now?

He never mentioned what they paid for food; but I do remember watching the news, the papers, whatever I could see: their lines in Europe for the BASICS were long; and their basics were lean....

And here we are, still buying what we want, dissing the price, buying it [whatever] still.

We simply don't learn, James.

From all of the reading I've done of your writings, I'm at a loss for your age, or wage; so I won't discount that you might have millions in your pocket; or that you are as poor as a church mouse, it doesn't matter:

my feelings now for our U.S. are that we have become a very pathetic lot for probably one-half of our nation; so many of us are complacent in our every day lives we are not thinking ahead to our grandchildren's future.

Somehow, I think our forefathers were thinking that very thing. They weren't here just for "today".

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2008-04-17 08:22 PM

and somehow, this thread probably doesn't belong in Prose?

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
5 posted 2008-04-18 06:16 AM

Thanks for the nice responses Sunshine...
I believe gasoline in Europe is over $6.00 but I also think that much of that is taxes...I view today as a turning point similar to the 1900's when we progressed from a horse and buggy to automobiles.  People were resistant to change than and they will be resistant now...but change is being forced upon us as those that control the oil have come to enjoy the higher prices and in truth, anytime they choose to cut production, the prices will increase further...until we get serious about change...and the scientist and engineers and inventors and social organizers are given the time and money they need to take us to the next step...just one mans opinion...btw I read this in todays paper "The Deniliquin Mill, the largest rice mill in the Southern Hemisphere, once processed enough grain to satisfy the daily needs of 20 million people.  But six long years of drought have taken a toll, reducing Australia's rich crop by 98 percent and leading to the mothballing of the mill last December"...Honolulu Star Bulletin, April 17, 2008...page A8...James

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Price of Rice

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary