navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Drunk
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Drunk Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Philmont
since 2004-01-10
Posts 61

0 posted 2008-01-17 06:51 PM

It's lonely in there, I guess, with nothing but a red carpet, some old crap on the floor, paintings on the walls, the red.  Yeah, there's red mostly everywhere in Walter's living room.  He can stand there all day, shafts of sunlight beaming in, dust glittering round his head, and you'd wonder what he was looking for.

There's an oak tree about 50 feet away from the front of the house.  I knew a guy around here in school.  He'd tell me about his dad, how he was a drunk and a womanizer.  Everything was about sex, my buddy said about his dad.

I remember one day, he came into school with a black eye.  I asked him what happened and he sneered at me, wouldn't talk.  What happened?  It's nothing.  Doesn't look like it.  Then he shoved me against a locker, right eye glaring and squinting at me.  I was kind of scared, I guess.

That was years ago.  Now sometimes I come back to this old place.  Walter's standing there in the living room, the red all over, the dust glittering paintings leaning, and not one damn thing changing.

Walter squints as a squirrel darts across the lawn, up the oak tree.  A guy about my age comes up the driveway.  There's flowers in his hands and a nervous look etched into his face.  He's so out of place here - a city boy, I guess.  He's at the door now and Walter's still in the living room.  His eyes squint; shadow?  The kid raises an arm, bracing to rap at the door with his right knuckle.

I close my eyes waiting, listening.  I imagine the shafts of light, the glittering, the old paintings forgotten, the cigarettes dying in the ashtray.  And I listen and I wait.  Nothing happens.

It's calm now.  I knew a guy once who hated his dad because he beat him.  He planned to run away because not one damned thing changes around here.  It's always a different woman, same wife screaming and crying, same belt, and the paintings and the drawings and the writings.  Sometimes in the mornings, when he's been sober for a night, he'll teach me stuff you couldn't even begin to imagine.  

© Copyright 2008 Phillip R. Montgomery - All Rights Reserved
Clang
since 2005-12-15
Posts 222

1 posted 2008-01-17 07:13 PM

Incredible depiction of the challenges that can be faced involving addiction and abuse.  I enjoyed this very much.
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
2 posted 2008-01-22 05:36 PM

Thanks for sharing...James
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Drunk

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary