navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » All That I Own
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic All That I Own Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Gemini
since 1999-12-15
Posts 1203
Wisconsin, USA

0 posted 2007-09-16 12:13 PM

Have you ever looked around a room that you're sitting in and wondered in astonishment at all the material items that lie before you?  I look around and I am greatful for all that I have, and know I worked hard to achieve, but yet I know that of everything I own, I feel like I own nothing.  I feel like everything is on loan to me.  My house, my job, and my health are all on loan to me, I really don't own anything.  Even my children are on loan to me.  Only too soon they will be out on their own and forging ahead.  All that I possess seems to be but a moment in passing.  But yet, I sit in quiet reverance and admiration at the one thing I seem to possess.  The only one thing that I can truely say that I have owned in my life is having the ability to say I love you.  It is the one true thing in life that I can take full ownership of.  Maybe this is just a fleeting feeling or the rantings of a middle aged woman, but in retrospect I think my ability to admit to anyone that I love them just seems to outweigh any material item I've ever had in my possession.  Could it be that life is just this simple?, or as we age, do we just choose to make life less complicated?
© Copyright 2007 June Schultz - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2007-09-16 12:55 PM

June,
Well said. Chuck Swindoll said "He's never seen a Hearse pulling a u-haul." The bible says we can't take it with us. But I find as we get older we gain the wisdom we needed in our youth. I must confess to enjoy aging. I haven't met an age yet I haven't liked. Though I talked to a friend's father in his 90's who said it wasn't any fun being the last of his friends alive. Thanks for sharing.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

[This message has been edited by Larry C (09-18-2007 08:12 PM).]

Gemini
since 1999-12-15
Posts 1203
Wisconsin, USA
2 posted 2007-09-16 01:30 PM

Thank you for your kind words Larry.  Thank you for visiting and responding.  My mom is 88 and I think she shares some of the sentiments of your fathers friend.
nedj
since 2006-06-23
Posts 87
Oregon USA
3 posted 2007-09-18 04:29 PM

Thoughts well chosen, Gemini. I have done something similar, but not in terms of onwnership. Rather I marvel at the countless people whose contributions were necessary to put all those things into my world. The people who mined the ore, dug it up, processed it into metal. And the people who invented and made the objects, who found others who would sell them, transport them, and eventually allow me to have them. When you multiply that times the number of objects in a given room, it is staggering.

As to the aging, I agree with the comments already made. I watched my grandmother grow old, and even though I was pretty young, it was clear even to me how hard it was to watch her become the last of her kind. And she knew it for years. When she finally had a stroke and died, I have always thought that it was because my mother was dying of cancer and only outlived her by three months. She had burried two husbands and two sons. The only one left was Mom, and she just couldnt' bear that. So she popped a vessel, and it was over. For her.

All of which brings up one of those classic dilemmas. "I don't look forward to growing old. But considering the alternative, I guess I'll give it a try."

Thanks for the nice piece.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » All That I Own

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary