navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » About Last Night
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic About Last Night Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2007-08-03 09:50 PM

About Last Night
By Larry Chadwick

If it weren’t for my sleep I would be forced to confess I have no imagination. John Lennon asked us to imagine there is no heaven. And I can’t, even if I try. Then he suggested that we imagine there is no hell. But I can’t even imagine that when I believe there is one. All this brings me back to not being awake. Last night is my best example.

First, perhaps, you are interested in some of my theology. So many people in expressing their well meaning condolences suggest to me that the family members that I have lost are in heaven looking down on me. Politely, I acknowledge their intended good will. But because it is never my intent to offend and I have no need to press my own beliefs on another and certainly not in the midst of a moment that would only create discomfort, I do not press the issue. I guess that is part of my appreciation of having friends who care enough to reach out.

But about last night… Last night was a gift. My daughter was a sensitive child who was unable to manage drama. Much to my surprise as a woman she grew to enjoy horror movies. A pleasure we never shared. And of course there is the minor issue that I know the body dies and is buried while the soul comes to an end and the spirit returns to God. That means those components are reunited at the second coming of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Nobody is “up there” looking down on me in my theology.

But about last night… What a gift. It has been five years since Ginger and my dad died and it has been nine years since my wife’s sister died. And common to life even my memory fades. After all, I am pushing sixty. We reminisce together with friends and family. We review photo albums that keep images fresh in our minds. We visit places that hold memories of past times together. And when more family passes on we share the grief that we have become familiar with in hopes of keeping each other from falling to pieces.

But about last night… It was a precious gift I must share. It wasn’t the land of the living dead. It wasn’t as if somebody came to me as if from “up there”. More accurately it was as if we created a new experience from old memories. Typical to a family road trip to a destination of common interest, we gathered. Ginger and Sherry were there with us. Sherry purchasing blue glasses for the entire party for a goofy picture. It was similar to when we all put on bright red lips for a group photo. All of us laughing so hard we could hardly stand up straight for a picture. There was sledding and gift shopping. Waiting and loitering. But what mattered was there was the opportunity to hear the laugh and to feel the touch. The touch... And so waking was not a disappointment. Rolling out of my bed with fresh knowledge of what it meant to hold her hand to touch her feet and to brush her hair, one more time, I found strength to carry on. All sustaining me to the day of resurrection.

August 3, 2007

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2007 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
1 posted 2007-08-04 05:54 PM

(understanding you)
M

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2007-08-04 10:08 PM

For the last three nights, I have had "family" dreams. Regardless of how one wants to look at it from a religious standpoint...I just know, like you, that they are wonderful dreams to wake up from/with/to.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2007-08-05 11:47 AM

Ladies, let me say first how grateful I am that you read & responded. I know that, most often, putting such a strong religious spin on my writing dimishes the commonality of our shared experience. Thank you.

M,
How kind you are. We haven't corresponded updates in a long time but please know I think of you often and wonder how things are with you. If you have forgotten, I'll remind you how much I admire your longsuffering and forgiving spirit. Your ability to love and endure inspire me. Thanks.

Karilea,
You are a special friend. We share the background of Superior Court employment and the joy of writing. But your willingness to encourage and sustain me in hard times gave me strength when I was sure that I had none. One of the primary reasons I bragged far and wide about this community was becuase of how you blessed me when I grieved the loss of my dear Ginger. Thank you, always.

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
4 posted 2007-08-05 05:18 PM

You are very "Special" Larry, and don't you ever forget that~~

many more hugs
M

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
5 posted 2007-08-09 03:47 AM

A son is not far from his mother's thouhts and you fairly well explained my thinking. But dear boy, if you are "pushing
sixty"  you are making me a mom at fifteen! be careful how you add the years. LOL and yes, I am with you in spirit. mom

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2007-08-09 09:43 AM

Hey Larry...

I've changed fields. How about that?

You were there for me, when my brother passed on. There's never a debt when one leans out to hold up a friend...

1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace
7 posted 2007-08-14 10:12 AM

even when gone
they are forever with us

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
8 posted 2007-08-15 11:58 AM

M,
How very kind of you. And I'll do my best to remember and if not, I'll visit here for a reminder.

Mom,
Haha. My wife complained of the same thing.

Karilea,
Well, that's what friends are for, right? Thank you for that.

Helen,
Just another special gift, eh? Thanks dear lady for reading.

aziza
Member Elite
since 2006-07-09
Posts 2995
Lumpy Oatmeal makes me Crazy!
9 posted 2007-08-21 04:40 PM

Larry,

I stopped by for a quick read - read once, read twice -- then sat back and just absorbed the thoughts you shared.  I'll be back to read again because this piece calls to me.  

You moved me, Larry.  Thank you for stirring my heart a bit on a day that calls for logic.

Alison

Beaone12
since 2007-08-15
Posts 24
Iowa
10 posted 2007-08-22 10:39 PM

I like your writing and the thought that came through it. It reminds me of a dream that puzzled me upon wakening, but a few days later, I understood what the dream really said.

You see, I had a lot of stress and I had a dream of my dead father, who told me (in my dream) to stuff it all into the ugly pillow. I had no idea to the meaning of stuffing it into an ugly pillow that it puzzled me.
Days went by and suddenly I saw an old tattered pillow on the couch. I hit the pillow, I cried into it, I screamed and yelled into it as well, and that was the moment when I realized that all the stress was gone from me.
My father had come to me to tell me how to release my stress, but the words just were not precise, hence the ugly pillow instead of a tattered pillow or any pillow for that matter.
Dreaming of a dear past family member or friend, truly is a gift from above to help us either remember or to find a solution.

Thank you for sharing your special memory of a dream.

Bea-ing the Queen of my hive.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
11 posted 2007-08-23 08:39 PM

Alison,
You do treat me kindly. Thanks. I always appreciate your visits.

Bea,
It is amazing what we learn through grief and loss. It proves there is purpose to both life and death. Thanks for your kind words and especially for sharing.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
12 posted 2007-09-14 01:58 AM

Did you know... that every time I stop by here I go looking for something you've written? *hugs* miss you Sir

and then He created the horse...

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
13 posted 2007-09-14 09:18 AM

Dear friend Larry.....I share the love and envy you the dream.  Many have come to my house and felt Michelle's presence here...even seen her listening while I played the piano.  It would seem she loves my music and I didn't even know while she was alive.  But then, I didn't have a piano then.  I think I will play more often.  

I think you will know how much, when I say that I appreciate your words here.  

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
14 posted 2007-09-15 01:11 AM

Rhonda,
You do make me smile with a special degree of satisfaction. I see you sign on with all those crazy taglines and I grin 'cause it's nice to know that you're around. I hope and pray all is well. I've heard nothing of horses or love or even work in quite a while.

Martie,
It's amazing how our blessings come from moments we don't expect. And thank you for being here and for understanding. Peace dear friend, always.

Gemini
since 1999-12-15
Posts 1203
Wisconsin, USA
15 posted 2007-09-16 01:46 PM

Larry very splendid read, tender and from the heart.  My father passed away when I was 18.  I lost my best friend, still I feel his presence and every now and then I will also have dreams of him that make me feel refreshed in the morning.  Thank you for sharing.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
16 posted 2007-09-17 08:00 PM

Gemini,
Thank you for sharing. It is amazing what we can survive. Peace.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » About Last Night

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary