navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Pretty Little Thing
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Pretty Little Thing Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa

0 posted 1999-10-12 09:53 PM

Pretty Little Thing

It had been a long dusty ride after that cattle drive so I thought I'd mossy on down to the first small town and try and enjoy the company of some soft tender thing. Just the company. I weren't too much into forcing myself on the ladies even if-in most thought there weren't no such thing as ladies out here in the West. I come across little place. What we here out in the West call a," one horse town" cause they were hardly no horses to be found. Except around the tallest building, which I rode up to and got off my horse. The salon. Where you'd always find someone standing around.

"Hello boys? Seen any new girlies in town? I haven't seen one better looking then my horse sense I've come to these parts." Just joking around being friendly.

"I wouldn't say that. That horse you got there is a real beauty." One fella bellows out laughing while slapping his knee.

Why that were fighting words. And I was just the fellow who’d make him eat a road apple. If-in he keep it up. It didn't pay me no mine that there was three others with-in him. Then the big feller next to him who had been slapping him on the back hollers to him, "I do believe that's a mare he rode in on. Ain't it? Ha...ha. Or maybe he's looking for a mule ?"

The laughing stop after a pretty young filly swung opened the salon doors. "Howdy ya. Why don't you boys run off and play while this-in young dusty gentleman comes on in and has a drink." Feet were flying. Those boys was wrestling off to get off down the road.

Felt like my own rope get stuck down my throat . Cause I don't know what to say. She was the prettiest thing around, this side of the Pacos. "Why I don't mine if-in I do, mame. Looking over her shoulder she walked back into the salon.

Seemed kind-da odd to me. Way those boys lost interest fun-in me. But I didn't pay it no mine. Why there was a proper lady wait-in for me. When I took that a seat with her, I couldn't help but stare. She was an awful pretty tender thing, back halter and faded jeans. Didn't look like no salon gal. Seemed to be a lady that had some schooling.

"What’s your name pretty thing? I mean. Mame?"

She widened her eyes and smiled, "Why it’s Doreen"

I smiled, "Doreen. That’s an awful pretty name and rightly so you being such a pretty thing and all."

She sort of giggled and give me a sweet grin. I could tell right off he liked me. Even though we hadn’t meet before she took a like-in to me as if-in we’s were friends. I sure enough took a hanker-in to her too. She ordered a bottle of red-eye and poured us a drink.

"What’s a good looking gentleman like you doing in these parts?" She asked just smiling away.

"Why I come to find a nice lady to keep company, first off, and then I’d figure I’d ask some one about a fella am looking- fer," me just smiling away also.

"Well, looks from the look on ya face you found the first. Maybe I can help? What’s this here’s fella’s name?" looking happy with herself.

She was looking so much more pretty with that look on her face it took me a while to respond. I was making a mental picture so as to hang it on my heart. Then I thought about how those fellers just ran off after she had come outside. Wondering I asked her, "How come those fellers run off so quickly?"

"Oh that? They do what little old me says. Else-in I wont serve them any drinks. You see I own this salon and don’t pay no mind to folks if-in they don’t respect what I say."

I could see right from the get go this one was a real lady, not fear-in nobody weather they be drifters or gun-hands. She knew she had a right being in this world plain as anybody. Right smart lady.

"Well most folks know him as Reverend Bullwriter preaching mostly being what he does. I heard he’d bad mouthed some hombre by the name of Balladeer. Told a whole bunch of folks this Balladeer was doing bad things and was wicked and such. I thought I’d drag this Reverend Bullwriter behind my horse Texan style. He could talk all he wants when he gets to the cactus.

"Well you must be talking about DreamEvil he runs a social club out in the middle of no wares but he was only fun-in. Him and Balladeer knows each other. He likes also to start philosophical debates he’s really good at it. It’s sort of fun sometimes. We are have meetings now and then. You ought to come out some time and join in. It’s called Passion In Pose."

Knowing I was wrong to get all fired up with out all the facts I says, "You know I just might have a hanker-in to do that some time"

When I rode off later that day I thought of Doreen and what a pretty thing she was. And thought. Maybe I’ll check out this. Passion In Pose.

© 1999 by Merlyn Hearn

Writer is aware of bad gammar and misspelling.

If you get a chance read "Morning Came Too Soon" a great piece by Doreen Peri.
Also If you haven’t read the post by DreamEvil, "Wicked Balladeer" I recommend it as nice read.

Writer is aware of bad gammar and misspelling.

© Copyright 1999 merlynh - All Rights Reserved
doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
1 posted 1999-10-12 10:17 PM

Gosh, Merlyn, was that you that rode into town that day? Durn tootin', big guy! I loved that hat AND that horse you rode in on. How 'bout stoppin' by for another red eye next time you pass through, huh?

Oh, and by the way, this is a pretty cute story y'done wrote here. See ya at that Passions place, k?

Systematic Decay
since 1999-09-15
Posts 1301
That place with padded walls and funny people in white.........
2 posted 1999-10-13 12:08 PM

LOL Merlyhn cute story

------------------
"Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage."
-Billy Corgan-

DreamEvil
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 2396

3 posted 1999-10-13 01:04 AM

Thanks for the plug and I'm glad to see you here.

Good read you have here.

------------------
Nothing is worse than sorrow,
except perhaps disdain.
I'll be myself tomorrow,
tonight I'll feel the pain.

DreamEvil©

merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
4 posted 1999-10-13 04:14 PM

Thanks it's always nice to know someone has read you post. If they don't leave replies you never know if you got lost in the mass.
My writing needs a lot of work and development so as not to get rejection from Writing Markets. Thanks for the kind words.

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 1999-10-14 07:12 AM

Keep 'em comin, merlynh.....
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
6 posted 1999-10-14 03:52 PM

I thought you did a good job with the story and the cowboy lingo. Don't let a lil ol thin like a rejection get ya down--great for wallpapering the writing room.
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
7 posted 2002-05-13 05:53 AM

Good writing cowboy...I'm always looking for them there pretty little things when I ride into town...James
Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
8 posted 2002-05-13 07:21 AM

merlynh,
I could almost smell the baccy.
Kethry

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

[This message has been edited by Kethry (05-13-2002 07:24 AM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Pretty Little Thing

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary