navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » A Junkyard Tale
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Junkyard Tale Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH

0 posted 2007-03-17 12:27 PM

Some images seem to stay forever, evoking memories, humor, or question.   I remember one such image at a wrecking yard when I was about fourteen, more than two scores ago.   There, I sat waiting 'impatiently' for my mother to cease discussion with a longtime school friend, township trustee, 'a good old boy'.  

Boredom.   After the first twenty minutes as hostage in my mother’s 1965, blue Galaxy 500, I realized my lack of patience was not going to do the trick;  it would only slow her conversation down to 25 mph, and her steps to less, five meters/hour, perhaps, if the day held good fortune.    What to do?   The first thing became fairly evident, as the little blue cell became hotter and hotter.  A sauna it was!    So, back in those days without electrically powered windows, I stretched across to the driver’s side in my 1960’s short tent dress, barely able to reach the handle, put aside being unable crank it easily.   Finally, Success!     Front windows down!  Now the rear windows…  While swiveling my shoulders, then pushing off with my tiptoes,  I turned to reach for knob on the rear left, then the right.   (Reaching the window just behind my seat was rather awkward, as now, I found myself on my stomach lying over the carseat with my hinykins up in the air.   Wouldn’t you just know that my mother’s friend happened to inch a little closer to the car at the exact moment I found myself bottoms up.   I never did know whether he saw me in my best form, or rather, he had decided to tease me at a later point.  However, I did see him cough up a chuckle as he averted his head.  Was it something she had said, or? (The situation with my rumpus in midair, now reminds me of another situation, my time with the bull.   (No, I didn’t shoot a bull, neither have I ever shot bull!)   Perhaps later, you’ll visit with me in our barnyard for that long tail, but now…

Back to the junkyard.   Over to my far right, sat a Volkswagon.   I don’t remember the color, but I suppose that wasn’t the significant feature of the cute little bug.   In the sixties, Bugs made statements all of their own among gas gusseling automobiles with their  luxurious, streamlined designs.    Still, I found something most unusual and curious about this particular bug.   It was, what I call, the Flintstone model, with two chubby legs appearing underneath of it, ready for manual take-off.   There appeared to be no driver inside, but yet, the car had legs!   Now you tell me!      A bug might sprout wings, but whoever thought Fred’s car might really come into existence?  I can just imagine his legs spinning like a cycle while he yells out “Yabba Dabba Do!”    

The moment of previous boredom had done an about-face, turning into a piece of amusement, curiousity, and quandry.   Apparently, I had seen only a saw small picture of the Volkswagon.  Missing the perspective of the passenger’s open door, I didn’t see a seated woman in the car bending over for a long period of time.  All I had seen were her two feet lined up parallel with the outline of the car's side.  However, they appeared to be underneath the car.  Had she lost a contact on the floor and had difficulty finding it?   For what purpose she remained seated with her head bent downward for such a duration, I don't know.  What I do know is she must have been experiencing as much bodily discomfort as I had been with my rumptilius up in midair!  Oh, the odd situations we get ourselves into and how others perceive them!

Presently from the Wreckage Yard, I'll depart, soon to venture thirty years down the road where memories will take me to our humble barn and barnyard.  You're welcome to come along, but you may desire to bring a pair of rubber boots, as you may find it full of bull.
(Hm; life about bull.   An interesting thought…

Shall we break now for an intermission?   Meanwhile, may I offer you some Chai tea?

~miscellanea

[This message has been edited by miscellanea (03-19-2007 07:06 AM).]

© Copyright 2007 Cathy Farmer - All Rights Reserved
Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

1 posted 2007-03-30 10:04 PM

enjoyed the memory!!

nice to read you again

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2007-04-03 01:23 AM

miscie!
How cute. Definitely puts images in my mind. Thanks for memory lane. Oh! And my dad had a white '65 Galaxy 500.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

debilynn
since 2007-04-16
Posts 2

3 posted 2007-04-16 11:20 PM

such a delight to read!  thank you for sharing this!
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
4 posted 2007-04-22 05:27 PM

Copperbell,

It's nice to be here again!  Thanks for stopping by.  I'm glad you enjoyed.

miscellanea

debilynn,

Thank you for your sweet response.  I'm glad you enjoyed.  By the way, welcome to Piptalk.   I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

miscellanea

Larry,

Those Galaxies were pretty popular weren't they?  I bet you have some memories with that car, eh?

miscellanea

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » A Junkyard Tale

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary