navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Wedding ring
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Wedding ring Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
rhia_5779
since 2006-06-09
Posts 1334
California

0 posted 2006-11-17 03:25 PM

I was bored and looked up writing prompts. I found this one where I had to write a story about where I lose my best friends wedding ring and have to tell them.

“Ami, you know the gold and silver piece of jewelry you have worn on your wrist since you married Tom the one I borrowed? Do you happen to be um.. sentimentally attached to that by any chance?”  Ari nonchalantly asked her best friend. Her face is chalk-white; her lips are pursed as tight as a tightrope. Her left hand twirls the red strands of her ponytail. Expecting Ami to detonate in sparks of fury and hot tears, she holds her breath till she is lavender in the face.  Her right hand grips her chocolate razor, clenching it in her sweaty palms.

“Its my wedding ring. So yes I am rather attached to it. It symbolizes our marriage. If something were to ever happen to it, our matrimony would come teetering down. Why?”
Her voice suspicious with hitched curiosity. Ari’s heart dropped in to her gut, Ari’s gulped. Swallowing a pocket of air that would just not go down. She could just see Ami’s dainty fingers tapping impatiently on the computer keys.  Ari felt guilty, she didn’t want to hurt her friend. Ami never did anything to anyone. She was the nicest person in Ari’s life. They had been best friends since kindergarten all the way through high school and close even in college. Even now at twenty-three they are as close as sisters, still sharing jokes and laughs despite Ari’s pregnancy.

Ari was helping Tom prepare for their one-year anniversary. Tom needed the size of his wife’s finger for the new sapphire set in silver ring he wanted to buy her.  He was too worried his wife would guess the game, and figure him out as she always did so he enlisted the help of Ari to get Ami’s wedding ring and take it to the jeweler for him. Ami never wore her wedding ring when she went to her pre-natal yoga class. She always took it off and set it in the porcelain tin that was on the hall side table of their apartment. Ari had gotten the ring to the jeweler and brought it back to their apartment but the small package with the ring in it she had set it down by the phone when the phone rang. She answered the phone, it was Ami’s 17-year-old sister and she wanted to know what to give her. Marissa was in high school and had a very low budget as she was a bad kid and always got her allowance taken away for getting in trouble at school. She was jittery and wanted to get her sister a really meaningful special gift to prove she could do something right. Ari got so caught up giving a hand to Marissa that she forgot about the ring by the time she walked out the door later.

“Hey, Ami do you remember the old hag we had for tenth grade calculus? Tom lent me your ring to see if we could get it better sized to your finger, and I saw old Miss Sneltsky at the jewelers. She was buying handcuffs, she thought the ring was mine and I guess never forgave me for leading the petition and riot to get her thrown out of school.  I had the ring in my hand one moment, and she pointed this curly design out to me and the next moment I looked and the ring was missing and Miss Sneltsky had run out of the door and down the street. I chased her all over town in my car. Porsches are so much faster than BMW’s. She got away”. Ari tried to keep her voice normal so she wouldn’t suspect anything.

“Miss Sneltsky, Oh yeah I remember her. She was awful, but Ari she is dead. We went to her funeral a couple of years ago remember? Only her caretaker cried. “ Ari coughs nervously, and sneezes trying to put off the moment she has to tell the truth. She drops her cell phone out of her paranoia.
“Ok, fine I’m sorry. I lost your wedding ring. I set it down and forgot where. I am so sorry. Please forgive me? Don’t hate me. I will get you a new one. “ Ari sniffles a sob, trying to conceal the anguish in her cracking voice. Guilt tears her up. She feels miserable now realizing what she has done.

Ari is immensely surprised to hear raucous laughter on the other side of the phone. “Oh sweetie, I knew you didn’t mean any harm. We found it by the phone where you left it. Marissa says you talked on the phone with her and gave her massive inspiration in a gift for us. The ring was just sitting by the phone when we got home. That’s why I was curious when you mentioned it because I am wearing it right now. I wondered what story you had to give. You have a knack for these stories.  We also wanted to know if you would be willing to be the god mother of our daughter, please?”

“So you are not mad? Yes, I would love to be the godmother; I would be honored to be the godmother of any child of yours. I was worried that I would fade away once you had your child. What will we do when you have her, you will be busy?” she asks relieved but still tense from her breakdown. She still feels bad about the entire deal.

No, I not mad at you. What are you talking about? For now and forever best friends.”

© Copyright 2006 rhia_5779 - All Rights Reserved
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Wedding ring

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary