navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Band-aids and Ouhies
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Band-aids and Ouhies Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2006-10-27 03:20 AM

Band-aids and Ouhies
By Larry Chadwick

I remember the first time you needed a band-aid. I cleaned your sore and applied it. After it stopped hurting you were so proud and the picture proved it. Then there was the time you fell in the mud and cried in your frustration of getting dirty. A bath made you so happy. The time you cried when climbing the crab apple tree because you were stuck and afraid. But I talked you through the positions to place your hands and feet and how it bolstered your confidence. The worst time for me was when you found your stolen bike and drug it home bawling because it had been stripped. There was much satisfaction in your childhood to know that I could fix the hurts, coach you through the fears and replace what was taken from you.

In your adolescent years it was hard for me to watch you struggle in high school, exactly as I had, with being so shy and misunderstood that you were dying inside of loneliness. I knew why you couldn’t focus to study and couldn’t face classes you weren’t prepared for.  I knew it was a part of your preparation for your adulthood. But I didn’t realize it was a part of my preparation for middle age.

Just as in your childhood and youth events in your adulthood have caused you pain. Your car wreck, when I was shown exactly how helpless a parent can feel. Your divorce, when I was shown exactly how helpless a parent can feel. Your job frustrations, when I was shown exactly how helpless a parent can feel. But your hopelessness is when I was shown exactly how heartbroken a parent can feel. If only there was a band-aid for that.

October 26, 2005

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2006 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
1 posted 2006-10-28 11:31 AM

I knew it was a part of your preparation for your adulthood. But I didn’t realize it was a part of my preparation for middle age...

I feel  your words, always, Larry

M

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
2 posted 2006-10-28 04:53 PM

Dear Larry....yeah....
1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace
3 posted 2006-10-29 07:52 AM

larry
if you ever find the band-aid for life
send me one too k?

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2006-10-31 10:04 AM

M,
Sweet lady we do know the painful side of life. But it brings many treasures that we would otherwise not retain as gems.

Martie,
Thanks...

Helen,
If I find a case I'll send you a box. And thank you for reading.

cwilk55
since 2006-06-13
Posts 17
OR
5 posted 2006-10-31 02:20 PM

I'd like those colored bandaids please, and by the case!  Some for me and some for you too!  I think I owe you one or two.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
6 posted 2006-11-01 10:45 AM

Candy,
Aw, it's nice you make me smile. I'd be more than happy to share, if only they existed.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
7 posted 2006-11-18 05:58 PM

Can I have a Dora band-aid? I've got some ouches that need to be fixed.
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
8 posted 2006-11-20 11:26 AM

Rhonda,
Dear friend, I think of you often and hope all is well. You'll be high on my mailing list when my supply of band-aids arrive. And thank you.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Band-aids and Ouhies

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary