navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » What’s In A Name?
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic What’s In A Name? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace

0 posted 2006-10-23 03:32 PM

What’s In A Name?    

Ruby was tinged a little blue and she was out for satisfaction. Her hills clicked on the sidewalk as her feet grazed the concrete. This was no ordinary woman. She was on a journey to destiny. The ruffle waved on her skirt as she walked. The look of sensuality was what Ruby possessed. Not the air of sexy, but deeper, like she had a secret. A secret wither you be a man or a woman you just had to know it. It was like music played in her presence. And you had to get close, to hear it. An instrumental played softly yet, the tune was always different, simple in that tune with a beat of complication.  
     Wars were going on in her mind all the time that never shut down, the battles of what was and of what could be. Sleep came easily, when there was sleep - but never any rest. Sponge like was the brain of Ruby Green, that always dripped the list of lists, where when one was marked off two appeared.
     Being born in Mississippi was both a blessing and a curse. It was not the best blessing nor was it the worst curse. To Ruby the worst curse was bestowed on her by the angels by being born into the Green family. She wore that burden around her neck with her perfect pearls daily with no exception. The biggest flaw she wore there was her name, that loose string to who she really was and all the imperfections of that world.
     Green, Green, green, that was the name. That was an oxymoron for this family to have that name, it should have been White, Brown, or even Black but not Green. But there it was Green. Green, green money, (Black, black as any sin) after all, shouldn’t a family name reflect the family?
     Ruby Abigail Gertrude Green, what a mouthful that was. Try writing that in kindergarten and first grade. Ruby Green would have so simple but, her Papaw expected it done so it was done. Poor Ruby had learned early if he wanted something done it was done or you paid the price. The pressure of that name got heavier and heavier on her every day and she wondered if she could take the weight of being so perfect every minute of every day to the point of bust that if at any given second it would all explode causing sheer confusion and chaos.
     There is a funny thing about life, it can be bad, and just when it starts to turn, it gets worse.  

“all romantics meet the same fate”…Joni Mitchell

© Copyright 2006 Helen Chambers - All Rights Reserved
rhia_5779
since 2006-06-09
Posts 1334
California
1 posted 2006-10-23 04:18 PM

Very nice write, I definelty hope you continue with this. It is not finished, I like how each word flows into the next. Well done
Spot
since 2006-03-04
Posts 45
CA, US
2 posted 2006-11-03 04:16 AM

great style.
I especially like the beginning, it reminds me of my friend, actually.

I really do hope you continue this; I liked it so far, and the ending didn't seem to be that of a one-shot.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » What’s In A Name?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary