navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » An Early Life Lesson
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic An Early Life Lesson Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
cwilk55
since 2006-06-13
Posts 17
OR

0 posted 2006-09-17 08:37 PM

The day was warm, summer maybe.  I remember I was wearing a dress. Girls wore dresses, even to play outside, in those days.  For sure it was a clean, freshly laundered, and pressed frock.  Was I two, three?  Such a long, long time ago.

Michael would have just been born or shortly afterward anyway.  Probably that’s what was  occupying Mother’s attention, I just don’t remember now.  

Mother’s voice was sterner than stern as she tied, what seemed to me the largest hemp rope ever, around my waist.  “You stay right there, young lady”, and other stern “stuff”.

The tree was a large oak with a great canopy.  The branches were far off into the heavens.  No chance, at all, of ascension.  My world became flat, orbicular, to the extent of my tether and no further.  Not at all unlike my experience of the world today, fifty-some odd years later.  Hmmm…could it be, the experience of limitation right then and there became the actual blue print for my entire experience of this life?

Setting to the task of exploration of the available territory, every leaf, twig, and promise of matter that I sifted from the dry, dusty, Eastern Washing State dirt, became of monumental importance.  Each find was more valuable than the last.  My treasures.  Then, then…my little girl fingers fell upon smooth, round, coolness.  Excitedly, I retrieved them.  I dusted each one off. Beautiful in all their colorful glory.  I knew what they were, I’d never had one of my very own, but I knew without a doubt what they were.  Marbles.  Beautiful, beautiful marbles.  Can you imagine anything more glorious than your very own marbles?  Mind you, these were not just any ordinary, run of the day marbles either, no, no.  These were clear glass with swirls of color inside, and, and, there was a really, really big one!  The kind they used to knock the other ones out of the way, so you can get to the ones you want, I guess.  Without a doubt these were of great value.

The value of this prodigious find required no less than to report it, and report it without delay.  This information was so important that it required me to go against the very clear instructions of Mother that I was to “stay right there”.  However, I also knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it certainly did not mean, “if you find something valuable in the ground” type of “stay right there”.  With complete confidence, that once I revealed the nature of my bounty, Mother would agree that this would be an appropriate exception to the rules of disobedience.  The rule being, of course, you disobey you get spanked when “your father gets home”.

Getting spanked “when father got home”, seems, as I recall, a pretty regular happening.  I surly knew the consequence should Mother not agree with my assessment of the situation, but I also knew this was so important there was absolutely no danger.

Well, there I went and did it again.  Thinking.  Obedience is required.  Thinking and acting on your own thoughts is punishable.  Seems my marbles were just trash after all, and since they weren’t mine, they belonged to someone else, and girls don’t play with marbles anyway.  

When father got home” I got my spanking.  I understood now that one does not, under any circumstances, disobey.  Not under any circumstances.  Oh, I continued to make attempts now and again but always with the same results.  The lesson was surely learned soon than later.

Escaping from an imposed limited environment is punishable by “those in charge”.  Thinking and acting on my own is punishable by “those in charge”.  Trusting in the understanding and compassion of “those in charge” regarding my evaluation is dangerous at best and will surely result in punishment.  That which is most important and valuable to me is trash to “those in charge”.

I raised my daughter to think for herself.  If a rule was stupid, say so and break it if need be.  If an adult behaves badly call them on it.  Do fun and dangerous things.  Sail until you fall of the edge.  Play in the dark.  Climb mountains and risk the rapids.  Run away with the love of your heart.  Be hanged what anyone else thinks.  Safety and comfort isn’t all its cracked up to be.  It’s the strangest thing I don’t know how it happened but she follows ALL the rules!  It breaks my heart…  

Now, I have an old marble…I carry around to remind me my treasures are my treasures and if I look carefully I will find the courage to step off the straight and narrow and go treasure hunting!

© Copyright 2006 Candace M. Wilkins - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2006-09-19 08:45 PM

Candy,
Keep writing I love your prose style and find truths in this writing that reveal so much about the Candy I knew in high school. By the way, as remember it, there wasn't a leash anywhere near back then. Remember the ride in the '55 Chevy?

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

mostlikelytolie
since 2006-09-20
Posts 5

2 posted 2006-09-20 01:06 PM

Absolutely amazing write. I hope your daughter is finding her way in the world with you, because you sound wonderfully insightful about parenthood. Great job, and, as I'm having serious troubles keeping away from the "don't lose your marbles" jokes, I will end it here. Well done.
cwilk55
since 2006-06-13
Posts 17
OR
3 posted 2006-09-20 05:05 PM

How I really really needed a chuckle today, and there you were!  Thank you mostlyliketolie!
writergrl
since 2006-10-30
Posts 73
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 posted 2006-10-30 10:51 PM

I loved your story, very heartfelt and filled with poignant memories. And, now it seems that you are raising your daughter through the events of your past, lessons learned, finding ways to do things better.
I remember those days when my father got home and I got disciplined. Thanks for the reminiscent trip to way back when.

writergrl  

"You cannot stain a black coat."
Nicholas Nickleby

cwilk55
since 2006-06-13
Posts 17
OR
5 posted 2006-10-30 11:37 PM

How kind of you to read my piece.  I guess parenting issues are formost in my mind and heart these days.  I'm raising my 5 year old (now) granddaughter!  I'm so much "older" now, bringing up those ol' memories you don't think about so much earlier on!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » An Early Life Lesson

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary