navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Meditation
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Meditation Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
jo_kritickisto
since 2006-08-17
Posts 15

0 posted 2006-10-22 01:53 PM

When some are brought to great heights of passion they change. In the case of some (those who live for emotion mostly) their change is one that is impossible under any other circumstance. Because of this, they lead a dull and boring life, waiting for the next height of ecstasy. Indeed, it would be a simple exercise for us to compare the falling leaf in Autumn to the life of the girl or the boy of the man or the one who follows too closely the whims of passion.

The leaf would, in all its beauty, promptly receive its liberty from the archaic tree and descend ever so gently, free to fall and to accept the guidance of the elements. So too the passionate being severed loose from the confines of an oppressive home, or an oppressive school or an oppressive job.

Descending gently, gracefuly, tenderly – yes partaking of a fall clothed in a myriad of colourful adverbs – the leaf has but one destination, though it flies madly in all directions. The passionate being looks down about herself and declares that she hails from an awesome expanse sparkling like ice. Wherever he looks so the wind takes the passionate man. Where the spirit breathes, so goes the ecstatic living creature.

Without a sound the frenzied flight of the leaf ends. Now upon the ground, the leaf is at the mercy of others: the wind, the feet of passers by, a dog might see fit to move the gentle leaf. Without reason or justification the human of passion sinks again into the oppression, realizing now that no one and nothing but himself can sustain the wind. Now at the mercy of an employer, of a government, of a spouse, the man, the woman, the one who follows too closely the whims of emotion is sent hither and thither on errands to sustain the happiness of others but for one small taste again of movement for himself.

"Embrace me!"  she demands.  "Carry me!" the passionate man implores the air of his mind.  

And still, all remains silent and so the one who follows too closely the whims of passion falls ultimately into silence, accepting and embracing the status quo, doomed to die a bitter creature.

© Copyright 2006 jo_kritickisto - All Rights Reserved
Spot
since 2006-03-04
Posts 45
CA, US
1 posted 2006-11-03 03:40 AM

Interesting and well written.

"so the one who follows too closely the whims of passion falls ultimately into silence, accepting and embracing the status quo, doomed to die a bitter creature."

I especially like this line because it is an image usually linked with those who aren't as affected by emotion, those who base their actions on something else. It isn't a connection I've ever agreed with, and I like the reversal.

I was wondering what the alternative to passion is, in your mind. Reason, morality or faith, stabilty...?
and also, what you would say that alternative was, in contrast to the metaphor of a falling leaf. (Is it a leaf that stays attatched to the branch, another object that falls, etc).

Good read, thanks for writing

jo_kritickisto
since 2006-08-17
Posts 15

2 posted 2006-11-08 11:41 PM

Spot:

I just wanted to write a piece to promote moderation in all things.  So I use the leaf image to have the person who is too emotional coming back to reality.

Please don't think I'm condemning emotion.  Maybe I should write one of these against being anti-emotion (whatever that is, hehe

Spot
since 2006-03-04
Posts 45
CA, US
3 posted 2006-11-12 05:23 PM

ok, I totally understand that. thanks for clarifying. Moderation is good.

If you do write one, let me know. I'd want to read it.

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

4 posted 2006-12-02 03:56 PM

I kinda wonder if that's not the destiny of all of us.  We can only embrace passion etc if we have time on our hands.  Nobody does.

You write a rather depressing essay, my friend.  Mind you I did rather enjoy the references to Ezekiel chapter 1.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Meditation

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary