navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Machine
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Machine Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ignatius
since 2006-09-23
Posts 14
OK , USA

0 posted 2006-09-23 04:47 PM

I wasn't quite sure where to put this. I am trying to write a prose poem, but it is a longer piece than most in the poetry forums. So I posted it here.

The Machine                              

Long since the miter replaced  the laurel, since the crown of thorns turned to a crown of kings, many powers forced their way onto the throne until it evolved into the machine. A false, artificial spirit inhabits the realm.

The machine is unadorned, and watches every false move with its numerous insect eyes. The eyes surveil everything through big glass windows high up in girded towers. No one takes the blame for the flowing of blood and crushing of bone.

Right now, in the middle of the world, another fire rages in Babylon. Billows of smoke from burning wells send signals to the third, fourth and fifth worlds. Smoke screens speak of making slaves free. The machine takes back everything it gives from those who turn against it.

The machine must be oiled, and it minions anoint it. It's as easy as pouring oil in a barrel, though palms have to get greasy. Oil lubricates, and it must be massaged liberally into the loins of our machinery. Though rules are often broken when it's being oiled up in the back rooms.

I'm a mole within the machine, allowed to speak rather openly, but this is nothing special. There's no real power in this. Real power's guarded by the propaganda hidden in corporate corridors, cloaked in mega mergers, and planted within the halls of government. Somehow these unseen hands pull levers that turn minds against themselves, pursuading them to fuel and protect the machine.

We're told we are free by mechanical outlets. We are free to speak profanely, consume, possess, earn money, drink, pursue pleasures, or live a life of piety. But we can't blaspheme the machine.

It's a calculated genius that works so well.

Empty words uttered on tv screens are used to confuse those left who still bother to listen. Empty words are heard over and over, like freedom and democracy, to brainwash, to make believe that slavery is freedom. Those who know the difference are so few their voices are as good as silent.  

© Copyright 2006 Frank Brennan - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2006-09-24 05:16 PM

It's a calculated genius that works so well.

~*~

This piece of poetry-prose is anything but empty!  Welcome to Passions!  I will look forward to reading more of your work!

Please, check your email for a Very Special Greeting!

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

2 posted 2006-10-01 02:44 AM

Ah, a fellow satirical writer!  I think I'm going to like you, Ignatius.  This poem is reminiscent of the book of Revelation with its biological imagery that can by some be construed as describing techological elements of our society.  Your descriptions of bureaucratic governments are most enjoyable.  I am assuming the text is intended to be something of a criticism of of a certain leader's endeavours in Iraq, from the standpoint of an operative inside of the military.  

As to criticism, you might like to make the lines longer.  Make them paragraphs instead.  There's nothing preventing you from writing paragraphs of imagery like this.

Again, good apocalyptic writing!  Definitely one for my library.

Any idiot can see that the result is true.
-- argumentum ad idiotum
Me!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Machine

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary