navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » A Procrastinator Never Changes
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Procrastinator Never Changes Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
the_girl_next_door
since 2006-02-26
Posts 591
USA

0 posted 2006-07-29 09:08 PM

I wrote this tonight. It took me all of an hour and 15 minutes to complete. I'm not sure about it. So please take time if you will and let me know what you think.  

I need some time to think, but procrastination is the thief of all time. I only wish I had someone besides myself to blame it on, but I don't. I finally realize what I have failed to see in the past: as many times in my life that I have told myself "I think too much," I was really only thinking half the time. I was "worrying". Standing in between a well thought out solution and a procrastinators creed. I found myself here often. Never knowing where to turn or who to talk to. It was always the same routine. Today, I find a prolonged thought escaping my mind and whether this thought will end or be left as another worry thrown over my shoulder, I can't be sure.

Life has a way of forcing you to disguise certain characteristics at exactly the wrong time for you (the right time for a mistake) without your knowledge. For example: Sometimes when you're scared, no one sees and other times people see the fear in you're eyes before you even know it's there. It all comes down to worrying. Worrying about what others think of you and so forth. It's never ending. As I said before, I believe that everyone wishes to have someone else to blame their problems on, but the only person it can be brought down on is ourselves.

It's our own fault when things go bad and though I know sometimes we do know that another is at fault, how we interact with that person is our own actions, our own worries working deep down, molding into a bigger problem. This gives us something else to think about. Something to drive a person like myself to ramble on and on about needing time to think: when I'm at fault for my misconception of taking time seriously. A procrastinator will never change. Even though some people say that you can change anything if you set your mind to it and it will come out how you want it to; if you only try. I would have to disagree. Life is far more complicated than that.

I've come to the conclusion that this is not a perfect thought, but neither is it a reflection of a worry. It's more like an introduction to change in my life, but along the way I've learned that "change" is only half of it; the other half is the things that will "never" change.

© Copyright 2006 Heather Sullivan - All Rights Reserved
artexeres
since 2006-08-01
Posts 156
south africa
1 posted 2006-08-04 08:34 AM

there is an appointment for everything and only they, who have exhausted  all their mental constitution, will ever truely know their nature, now the tricky part is to preserve one's mental constitution and to nourish one's nature, there i go day dreaming again thank you for a very nice read really enjoyed. look forward to more.
the_girl_next_door
since 2006-02-26
Posts 591
USA
2 posted 2006-08-04 10:58 PM

thank you so much.. I'm learning everyday!

~heather~

Desire nothing except desirelessness. Hope for nothing except to rise above all hopes.
Want nothing & you will have everything.

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

3 posted 2006-08-06 02:28 AM

Ironic little piece.  There are a few grammatical points you might like to look at.  For example:

you use you're, the contraction, when you should be using "your eyes."  

Also, your diction and choice of words are a little weak in places.  Here is an example:

I believe that everyone wishes to have someone else to blame their problems on, but the only person it can be brought down on is ourselves.

You start off with a general statement that "everyone wishes to have someone else to blame..." and then follow that up with "the only person it can be brought down on is ourselves."  I think this sentence needs much more punch:

"For every problem we find a scapegoat, never daring to question the assumption that we are never at fault."

Even that possible phrasing is a little weak.  Indeed, it sounds rather academic.  Maybe something simple?

"Every person is the only innocent individual in her life."

That's maybe a bit more ironic and cynical.

The point is, you can take that sentence that I've been talking about and go all over the place with it.  It's like a key point in your essay.  I'd say strengthen it and make it one of many punches.

Hope this helps.

Any idiot can see that the result is true.
-- argumentum ad idiotum
Me!

the_girl_next_door
since 2006-02-26
Posts 591
USA
4 posted 2006-08-07 01:56 PM

Thank you fractal, your advice is always much appreciated.

~Heather~

Desire nothing except desirelessness. Hope for nothing except to rise above all hopes.
Want nothing & you will have everything.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » A Procrastinator Never Changes

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary