navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » "Spoken like a true hero." response to the challenge.
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic "Spoken like a true hero." response to the challenge. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
nedj
since 2006-06-23
Posts 87
Oregon USA

0 posted 2006-06-23 05:00 PM

"Spoken like a true hero." The words still echoed in his ears after three decades. And he still hadn’t been able to figure out if they were intended as a sarcasm or a complement. It was things like this that made Harry wonder if his father wasn’t the current incarnation of an ancient Chinese emperor. Yet sarcasm or not, he always knew somehow that his dad had loved him in his own unique way. He’d never figured out the “how” of that, either. Now he probably never would.

Harry placed the flowers on the fresh mound of earth beneath which lay the remains of his father. He stood and hesitated for a few moments, as if trying to be sure he hadn’t forgotten something, then turned simply and gracefully and walk slowly away from the grave. He wondered if he would ever return. He had no idea. His last thought before sending his mind elsewhere was that it didn’t matter now, so no need to ponder it.

It wasn’t until he reached the car, not until he had opened the door full-wide, not until he looked over its top and saw the glint of sunlight from the hot-off-the-press headstone that it struck him. He started to tear up involuntarily, almost unknowingly. And at that precise moment he knew what he had to do. The one thing that was left undone.

He stood straight and tall, stiff as rifle butt and snapped the smartest salute of his life in the direction of his father. He held it for several moments, then slowly dropped his right hand to his side, sat down in the driver’s seat of his fathers Cadillac, and started the engine. He said nothing to Jill and the boys in the back seat. There was, after all, nothing left to say.

A poem's just a poet in a word.

© Copyright 2006 Ned Johnson - All Rights Reserved
the_girl_next_door
since 2006-02-26
Posts 591
USA
1 posted 2006-06-23 05:40 PM

that was really good. I would've never thought anyone could come up with something that creative to that topic.. Great job..

i loved it..

~Heather

Desire nothing except desirelessness. Hope for nothing except to rise above all hopes.
Want nothing & you will have everything.

nedj
since 2006-06-23
Posts 87
Oregon USA
2 posted 2006-06-23 11:41 PM

Thanks, Heather. It's been a long time, but I used to make up little exercises like that for myself. I got pretty good at it. I did things like close my eyes sitting in my office chair, and spin myself around until I had no idea which direction I was pointing. The I'd stop, focus my closed eyes dead ahead, open them, and write a story about the first thing I saw without stopping...a least for a paragraph or two. It was great practice, and I came up with some of my favorite stories doing things like that. :-) I'm so glad you liked it.

the_girl_next_door
since 2006-02-26
Posts 591
USA
3 posted 2006-06-24 10:33 PM

Ned.. thanks for the reminder email.. and I had saw your reply ealier today I just didn't have a chance to reply..

I did find value in what you said... I think it is amazing how doing something that simple and crazy all in one (lol) can give you inspiration.. I might have to try something like that one day thank you so much for your consideration..

~Heather~

Desire nothing except desirelessness. Hope for nothing except to rise above all hopes.
Want nothing & you will have everything.

CrAzI_bAbI_cHiKa
since 2003-07-16
Posts 248

4 posted 2006-08-17 12:15 PM

Ned hun, apparently I had missed this (the only response to my challenge...that I didn't even take, haha.

This is a great write. Simple, but impactful. Reminiscent of JFKjr.'s salute at his father's passing, only a little more thought out, I believe. Truly Enjoyed, Thanks

<3ker

When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad I'm better.
Mae West

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
5 posted 2006-10-08 12:00 PM

I find your writing style so easy to read and would like to see a longer story here by you. Thanks for posting this.
nedj
since 2006-06-23
Posts 87
Oregon USA
6 posted 2006-10-08 01:52 PM

Thanks, DeVine. I can think of few higher compliments than yours. I have been very busy for the last few months, and haven't spent much time here. But since you (and a few others) have asked so nicely, I just posted one of my favorite--and longer--stories, "Just an Old Cowhand." I hope you enjoy it.

A poem's just a poet in a word.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » "Spoken like a true hero." response to the challenge.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary