navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Lottery
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Lottery Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Clang
since 2005-12-15
Posts 222

0 posted 2006-05-11 02:22 AM

Earlier today I bought a lottery ticket.  The pot is now at 79 million.  

I began to imagine all the different ways winning would help my life.  I would no longer have to worry about retirement.  I could buy a real house.  I could quit my job and go to college the rest of my life.  Hey, I'd even help out my ex-husband so he could quit his job and wouldn't have to leave town and miss out on raising our son.   I could start a foundation to help people with disabilities go to college.  My extended family would be taken care of...and most of all my kids would be secure in their future.

Then I began to think about my kids and how, with all that money, they might never learn to respect money they'd never earned. I thought about being in a car accident and being sued for all I'm worth just because I was a lottery winner.  Then there's all that money and where to put it and how to keep track of it.  Having the IRS on speed dial to insure I am reporting everything to their specifications, doesn't seem very fun either.  And unless I moved away and hid my wealth I would never know for sure if someone was my friend because they really cared for me.

I think next time I'll buy scratch tickets.  Their pots are only a maximum of $10,000.

(But I'll still probably check the numbers on Saturday!)

© Copyright 2006 Kat - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2006-05-11 09:11 PM

lol
you can always adopt me, yanno
enjoyed this

Clang
since 2005-12-15
Posts 222

2 posted 2006-05-12 01:42 AM

Thanks Midnite...
About that adoption thing...sure why not, mi casa su casa (sp), but I must warn you I'm a horrible housekeeper!  Guess I'd have to hire one.

the_girl_next_door
since 2006-02-26
Posts 591
USA
3 posted 2006-06-12 12:35 PM

this was very amusing.. I enjoyed it very much.

~heather`

Desire nothing except desirelessness. Hope for nothing except to rise above all hopes.
Want nothing & you will have everything.

Dark Stranger
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-19
Posts 13631
West Coast
4 posted 2008-01-12 09:20 AM

I smiled at this one...I know the feeling..kewl stuff Clang person
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Lottery

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary