navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Belonging
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Belonging Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Clang
since 2005-12-15
Posts 222

0 posted 2006-05-05 02:47 AM

Belonging.  It is the most powerful need we have as humans.  Without it we are lost and searching.  

The most challenging part of life is that there are unwritten rules.  Some come from our family, others from our friends or our co-workers.  They also come from our lovers.  Each tries to define who we should be.  The successful are able to accept these rules with happiness and to adjust accordingly.

The unlucky are those who have a sense of self that condradicts those rules and defies the expectations of others.  The most difficult lives are those of individuals who struggle with an internal code that does not follow the rules.

Belonging, for some is an enemy.  An unattainable goal that remains as elusive as the mystery of our origins.

But the key is not external.  First we must belong to ourselves.  The rest will follow.

Quirks make us interesting!

© Copyright 2006 Kat - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2006-05-05 12:33 PM

Clang,
Seems there are some contradictions. Others cannot define who we are to be. I lived 16 years trying to meet the expectations of another. Turned out to be impossible. It goes to compatability and relationships(two-sided). Anyway just some ideas. Much food for thought in a little space.

And welcome to Passions. Hope to see more.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
2 posted 2006-05-05 02:16 PM

"a sense of self that contradicts those rules and defies the expectations of others"

I don't think I have ever seen narcissism put so eloquently...

Great job with this.

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

the_girl_next_door
since 2006-02-26
Posts 591
USA
3 posted 2006-05-05 11:37 PM

First we must belong to ourselves.

I'm not that much into prose as I am to other types of poetry. but this was wonderful.
welcome to pip.. I hope to hear more..

~heather

Desire nothing except desirelessness. Hope for nothing except to rise above all hopes.
Want nothing & you will have everything.

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

4 posted 2006-05-06 01:25 AM

I will critique this one as you have requested, Clang.  I'll do it because it's such an interesting first post.  

quote:
The successful are able to accept these rules with happiness and to adjust accordingly.

Really?  What defines success?  I think that you paint a rather bleak picture of the lot in life of those who aren't able to follow "the rules."  I think that it takes a trailblazer to shake up the pot and bring new ideas to a society that's all too conformist.  

Fabiani
since 2006-05-12
Posts 123
Mesa, Az
5 posted 2006-05-13 07:16 PM

I can relate with this obviously everyone can relate I share the same views I think happiness come in knowing your self and loving your self and people can go there whole lives living in constant Repulsion of themselves finding your self is one of the most important things u can do in life
merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
6 posted 2006-05-14 07:31 PM

I have found it is easy to get lost in the realm to believe one has the ability to self-evolve through reasoning.  Thoreau wrote that we are like other creatures in nature and change as the seasons past, each in our own time according to our purpose.  Whether someone grows horns and goes through a rut season is undetermined by the one going through it.  I found Plato’s concept realizing he knew nothing is the only constant outlook that opens the mind to a nature development in it’s own time. Contrary to what rules our society is given; truthfully are directed by the leaders with the intent to keep all the ants from swarming, yet not to intrigue them to roam too far out of the glass jar they are held and take it upon themselves to do independent thinking.  Yet alas, “ The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion ”—Elizabeth Drew.  Call it a habitual reasoning, a routine, pattern, or a treadmill most get stuck on it’s a common human desire to be recognized, yet it holds no integrity. Most only seek conformation and sharing it, alas opinions that are constantly changing and fade away by each passing moment. Even Einstein said that imagination is more valuable than knowledge; sharing a sense he felt was beyond his mind of reasoning. Emerson said the only thing a man can gain in life is his own integrity. Search out those who’s outlook were considered wise in our history and you’ll understand a sense of integrity which is the only realistic thing a person can hang on to for a period of a lifetime; something that can only be found through sincere soul searching.  Not watching Big Bird on TV.  Anybody can find what they search for; some just don’t know where to look. Realize my shared views are based on other’s insights they found through their own conviction and belief.  I admit I don’t know anything and realize my understanding is limited by what insight I’ve found in others, confirming what can be realized is deep within ourselves and yet farther than ourselves, and far from the mind.  I am not so sure of myself as what lies beyond; what lies inside that will know more than I’ll ever be able to understand.
SouthernJustice
since 2007-12-15
Posts 159

7 posted 2007-12-26 08:23 PM

enjoyed this one,  TY 4 sharing, "SJ"
Clang
since 2005-12-15
Posts 222

8 posted 2007-12-26 11:08 PM

Hm...I had forgotten all about this one.  Thanks for all the comments, although it has been a long time in coming.

I had forgotten how to spell Thoreau when I tried to look him up the other day, weird...On the advice of a good friend who passed away, I spent some time a while back reading some of his works and had a thirst for more, but my studies at the time would not allow.

Yep, I still feel this way.  An independent rebel without a cause.  A feral cat, without ferocity.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Belonging

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary