navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Traveling Music
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Traveling Music Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2006-03-10 10:02 AM

Traveling Music
By Larry Chadwick
Ginger Michelle 2/19/1974-5/18/2002

There are experiences that make no sense to me. I do not understand why people find themselves with the habit of cutting themselves until they bleed. Even though they explain that it is an emotional release. I do not understand why people eat things like pig rectums. Even though they explain that they might win $50,000. And I do not understand why a person would gamble away their entire life savings. Even though they explain that they thought they would walk away with more money than they brought in.

Experiences happen in life that appear to have no emotional or meaningful purpose. We get burglarized and struggle with the feeling of being violated. We drive cautiously and have no traffic citations. Yet we find ourselves involved in serious accidents that were not our fault. People who live honorably and selflessly get aneurisms and die. They leave family behind that mourns their loss. And we all struggle to see what possible good can come from our misfortune. Common to all events is the truth that grief without growth is pain without purpose.

All of this brings me to last night. It does not make sense, I suppose, unless you have taken this trip. I was driving down the road in a pick-up when I heard her singing. Instantly I recognized her voice and was flooded with so many emotions. I turned to put my hand on her cheek as I said, “You sound just like your sister.” But no one was there.

I paused and turned my eyes quickly to the road as I continued driving. Without hesitation I spoke again. Though not really to myself. “Oh”, I whispered softly, “you ARE the sister.” And when I awoke I was not filled with the emotion that you might expect. For it was my daughter whose voice I so instantly heard and recognized. It was not the loss that dominated my heart but rather the joy of still remembering what she sounds like. She can sing to me anytime.
March 9, 2006

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2006 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
1 posted 2006-03-10 02:38 PM

Musicmaker1969
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-06-25
Posts 589
Peterborough, Ontario Canada
2 posted 2006-03-10 11:56 PM

I am sorry for the loss of your daughter.  I do not have children and cannot have.  Yet all I ever wanted in life was to be a mom and a wife.  I'm neither now.  I am one of those you don't understand who cuts for emotional release.  And no, it makes no sense other than there is a release.  Sometimes in life, we are not meant to understand, just to accept it.  That's not an easy thing to do.  You know it and I know it.  I loved your poem.  Very moving and touching, especially at the end.

Gracefully,
Sheri Adams

Jesus lives in my heart!  He can in yours too!!!
Sheri Liegh Adams
sheriliegh@sympatico.ca

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
3 posted 2006-03-11 09:38 AM

Larry,

(too good to say a word)

hugs,
misce

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
4 posted 2006-03-11 09:23 PM

Larry what an experience that was. I am glad to know you appreciated it for its value and  not  had  been upset over it. Wondeful. martyjo
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
5 posted 2006-03-12 01:03 AM

Rhonda,
Thanks for the hugs and the email.

Sheri,
Your candor is amazing and your support much appreciated. Thanks for both.

misce,
Well that pretty much leaves me speechless. Thank you sweet friend.

MartyJo,
Well it was an incredible gift that may not visit me again but was much appreciated. And thank you mom.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Traveling Music

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary