navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » "A Word Is Worth A Thousand More"
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic "A Word Is Worth A Thousand More" Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Katerie
since 2006-01-27
Posts 92
Central New York

0 posted 2006-01-27 06:16 PM

Leaning back, I close my tired, burning eyes. My life has been exhausting for the past few weeks, and I don’t think I’ve been struck by this sort of fatigue in my entire fourteen years of existence. Heaving a sigh, I decide to be productive. My English homework is laying at the foot of my bed. I lean over the side, making an attempt at proper balance, and pick up the marble composition book, and the small, yet thick novel. It somehow is not as foreboding as the rest of my work.

I open the brand new book, taking notice of how stiff the pages are.  It even has a distinct smell, an indescribable smell, one that all new books possess.  I turn past the title page, then the dedication, then another title page, more detailed than the first. Finally comes the first page of the actual text. The assignment was to read through the first chapter. It’s very short. As I stop to contemplate whether or not to surge ahead, I hear shouting coming from downstairs. I decide to leave them to their own devices this time, and begin on the next page.  It's not worth it to try and solve their petty disputes. They'll never overcome their differences.

My eyes scan the pages carefully imbibing every word, phrase and meaning.  There is a game being played in a backyard, on a hot summer day. I feel the warmth of the sun, and the lush grass beneath my bare feet, as I stand as an onlooker to their charades. I can smell the pie being baked in someone’s house nearby, and can hear birds, the rustling of huge deciduous trees, hundreds of years wise, and wholesome laughter, instead of what would be the current equivalent- the blue shag carpet, the fan blowing a chilling wind though the open window, the ceiling, which has long since been peeling only to expose many layers of dull and somewhat disgusting colored paint, and no smell at all, save the scent of my usual shampoo, forever absorbed into my pillowcase. What replaces the trees and laughter, however is perhaps the worst of all- the insults echoing in the hall outside my bedroom door, the slamming doors, the cars starting, and the insatiable and horrid crying.  None of this occurs to me, however, for the book in itself is another world, more powerful, at this point, than reality.

Long past the point one would consider late, I decide it’s time to move on, no matter how wrapped up I am becoming in the simple words upon the pages and pages I have just devoured. No less, I still have other homework that was abandoned and left unfinished. I close the book with a sense of accomplishment and move on to the questions that accompanied the original assignment. I fly through all four or five of them in a matter of minutes, and as I finish, something dawns on me. What if I could create another world, entertaining and intellectual, just like the author of this book has? What if I could take people out of their own real, sometimes painful life, and into a new one, if only for a short time? What if...?

Inspiration can be found in the most unexpected places, including freshman English assignments. It was that single, small chapter which turned into two small chapters, then three small chapters, then four, then a few chapters of my own. I opened my eyes, and found naught what I was looking for, but something found me.

© Copyright 2006 Kate Sands - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2006-01-28 06:30 AM

quote:
What if I could create another world, entertaining and intellectual, just like the author of this book has? What if I could take people out of their own real, sometimes painful life, and into a new one, if only for a short time? What if...?

Inspiration can be found in the most unexpected places, including freshman English assignments. It was that single, small chapter which turned into two small chapters, then three small chapters, then four, then a few chapters of my own. I opened my eyes, and found naught what I was looking for, but something found me.

I will look forward to reading your first novel, Kate.  Because the idea that can be, will be.

I enjoyed this very much.

" It matters not this distance now  " Excerpt, Yesterday's Love
~*~
KRJ

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
2 posted 2006-01-28 06:42 AM

I enjoyed your writing very much...you have a lot to offer the forum...

Welcome
Maureen

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
3 posted 2006-01-28 09:29 AM

I enjoyed this! One note though, the word 'naught' seemed out of place...just MY opinion.

For more inspiration I think you should read 'On Writing' by Stephen King. He's such a superb storyteller and his book is written as though he was talking just to you. It's a great book for writers!!

I look forward to reading more from you!

Ixtab
since 1999-06-23
Posts 105
MEXICAlpan de las tunas
4 posted 2006-03-09 05:42 AM

you have talent and potential, keep it up.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » "A Word Is Worth A Thousand More"

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary