navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Brace Yourself
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Brace Yourself Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States

0 posted 2006-01-04 10:23 PM

Brace Yourself
By Larry Chadwick
When you least expect it...

When you recognize it, well, it is already too late. Like when my mom was dating my dad at the age of seventeen and left the log house to use the outhouse. But my eighteen year old dad jumped out of the bushes in the dark and yelled. I am not sure but maybe she did not have to complete the trip.

Or like the year after I completed high school and the first school paper of the next school year was published with the honor roll from the final grades of the previous year. My friend teased me for being on the honor roll. I was not in the mood since I felt I was lucky to graduate at all. So he showed me the list and there I was with a 3.0 grade average.

It could even be like when my eldest child was born. Everybody said my wife was so small it had to be a girl. And so a girls name was all we had selected. Yet when I saw the Doctor raise the baby by it's feet and there was an appendage in the middle we had to call him Junior.

Perhaps it was like the vacation we took when I was a small boy and traveled four states away to see Uncle Larry and Aunt June. We arrived almost at midnight so we placed our sleeping bags in the front yard and all five of us slept under the stars. It was a good thing they loved us enough to let us in when they found us the next morning unannounced.

But it can also be like watching a movie that I thoroughly enjoyed, Cheaper By The Dozen2. Reveling in the pleasure of a large family and all the trials that attend so many relationships under one roof. But crying through all the father-daughter scenes knowing that I would not experience any of those events ever with Ginger.

Yes they are surprises. You may not expect them. But that does not mean you cannot love them.

January 4, 2006

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

© Copyright 2006 Larry Chadwick - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2006-01-05 07:39 AM

Somehow

I was ready...

or so I thought.

Perhaps the title gave it away,

but the tears came, regardless.

So much for the title.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2006-01-05 01:02 PM

Isn't this strange Larry?  Tori and I went to see that show, and when they were in the canoe at the end, I actually thought of you and Ginger.  I have since the first movie imagined that you are very much like the character Dad in that show.  

Loosing someone before we are ready is never easy, so many lose ends, and things were never go to do, say, or experience.  It is a good thing we can keep them alive in our hearts through memory.  

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
3 posted 2006-01-05 01:49 PM

Larry...I have often thought that it is asking fate to slam you, when you think that nothing can surpise you.  Michelle had a very unusual disease....with small chance for her to get it, much less die from it.  But surprise!!  She did both.  Much thought went into this...and I enjoyed, as usual.  
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2006-01-05 07:19 PM

Karilea,
You do know how to put a smile on my face. And thank you.

Sharon,
I read the book a couple of times when I was 12 years old and thought the same thing. You have said so many nice things to me but that is one of my favorite. Thanks.

Martie,
You know...I always think of you and your loss. At least I have the confidence that I know someone who understands. Thank you dear friend.

Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
5 posted 2006-01-07 05:21 PM

I don't think you ever get to the point of being ready for surprises. I had the same problem with April, everyone told she would be a boy and she was my third. i carried her like a boy, had the same cravings as I did with Malcolm, picked out the name of Jason and voila April.
However I don't think bracing ourselves works either, I think learing to roll with the punches is a better option.

Good story. Very poignantly written. I wish I could as much with so few words.

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
6 posted 2006-01-07 10:58 PM

Thanks Keth! And rollin' with it is the only reasonable option.

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
7 posted 2006-01-08 12:15 PM

Dog gone it, if I'm not going to pay attention to your title next time, Larry!  Brace yourself is right!  Here I was happily reminiscing memories of my own and when I got down to the last paragraph or two... well, you can imagine how quickly the tears began to well!  I've never gotten used to the surprise of death, but I guess it happens.  Maybe death sweetens the memories of my loved ones, but I don't care to take any more taste tests for a while.  

As always, I find your writing to be stimulating.  You have such skill at bringing the reader into your world while remembering their own.  Does that make sense?  Hope so.

misce

majnu
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2002-10-13
Posts 1088
SF Bay Area
8 posted 2006-01-08 10:49 PM

you really should try and publish. believe it.

-majnu
--------------------------------------
Timid thoughts be not afraid. I am a Poet.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
9 posted 2006-01-08 11:54 PM

I braced myself. And now, silently, embrace you.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
10 posted 2006-01-09 12:57 PM

misce,
You are so very kind. You always find a way to make me feel special. Thanks.

majnu,
How kind that you are so encouraging. I have tried a couple times but obviously to the wrong place. Funny, they said the piece was excellent but too short. Seems I don't have that much to say.

Kacy,
I'll take an embrace any time. And thank you sis.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
11 posted 2006-01-10 12:10 PM

Did you know that I smile and say hello to you
every time I pick up a spice can named Ginger?

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
12 posted 2006-01-10 07:25 PM

Nope, but it makes me smile. I do too but I just never use it, so it's seldom. And thanks for letting me know.

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
13 posted 2006-01-11 07:13 PM

Hey there, Larry!  Just read your response to mine.  Why of course, you should be made to feel special because you are a Jim Dandy!  Who was Jim Dandy anyway?  (I sure hope he was a good guy!)  Sendi9ng smiles your way.

miscellanea

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
14 posted 2006-01-12 03:07 AM

awww *hugs*

I dont' have anything deep or profound to say, but it's late so I have an excuse
*HUGS*

and then He created the horse...

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
15 posted 2006-01-13 09:52 AM

misce,
& And I never met him.

Rhonda,
Thank you. You said it just right.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Brace Yourself

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary