navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Time
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Time Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Always Lisa
since 2003-06-08
Posts 133

0 posted 2005-08-22 09:43 PM

Time

Honey suckle, wild strawberry and pine as far as the eye can see... My boy and I loved this little place in the country. This house and the land around it belonged to my parents and they left it to me and Benny upon their passing. A much needed place to live after Benny's father left us high and dry in a run down apartment in the city. And for a time, that's all that we had was that place in the city. Time...In time things change...

Time took me by the hand one breezy summer day, and as time would have it, I was having the time of my life on the fifth summer of living in this house. Time on this green land making friends with lady bugs and scouting out weeds to pluck in our garden. And as always, my little boy Benny was being his precocious self... A self made fort he had erected, stood on the back side of the property line, and it was from over there that I heard the last sound he would ever utter. His scream called to my every nerve as time stopped for the both of us.

He died back there. Died while trying to hang a white piece of cloth on a tree limb that I had sown his name onto the night before. I was sure that wind and the weeds that surrounded his body, took my boy. And time. Time fooled me into believing in perfect days. That cloth with his name on it, it seemed to have had left with my boy.

Time took over again as weeds consumed my life and everything once fresh rotted in my garden. I walked around on the property everyday looking for that white cloth. For some wishful reason, I thought that if I found that cloth, I'd kind my boy.

Winter came blazing in, reminding me of how cold everything was and there was nothing that I could do about it but wait for time... Time to morn and time to watch the days waste away the hours of my need until spring and her morning glory open up to sun...

Spring stormed in early but on this day, it seems like every Robin made its way back north and right into our old garden; plucking all that was left to seed; making a stir of a day that I didn''t care to make waves, or get out of bed for that matter. I drug myself out of bed among all that chirping. Chirping that seemed to turn to chatter and made my head feel two sizes too big.

I slipped on an old pair of shoes and run outside to scare the birds away but one Robin remained as if willing me to make a wish on a first spring Robin. I wished that time would again take me by the hand. I wished that things would change even though I knew what change could take away. That Robin put her head down, picked at something and then pulled her head back up and in her beak, I saw a peace of string and then she flew away.

In wonder, I walked over to the garden and went to the spot where that Robin was picking and there it was... Benny on white cloth among dead weeds in early spring.

Time, in time can bring back what time takes away but time can't bring back my Benny. I planted Benny's name in this garden that morning. I buried that cloth deep in the hope of saving it from wind and weed and time.

Today... Time takes me by the hand in this garden. The movers are packing up the last of the boxes. Benny my boy, it's time.

copyright,
Always Lisa

© Copyright 2005 Always Lisa - All Rights Reserved
Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
1 posted 2005-10-28 10:59 AM

Lisa~
This is ever so sad ... poignantly penned~

*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*No matter what I search for ...
let me know when it is LOVE that I find*~ <))><

Email - noles1@totcon.com

Trillium
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-09
Posts 12098
Idaho, USA
2 posted 2005-10-30 05:53 PM

Lisa;  This is so heart-wrenching a story! I hope Time is much kinder to you from now on.

Betty Lou

Betty Lou Hebert

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2005-10-31 10:01 AM

Lisa...

You kept me with every word...

Thank you.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Time

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary