navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Gone Fishing
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Gone Fishing Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Always Lisa
since 2003-06-08
Posts 133

0 posted 2005-08-15 08:56 AM

Gone Fishing

April packed with it the promise of sun-dried flowers come fall. Rain beat steady for days which turned to a week. A week that was sure to be the start of a new season of bloom, but momma wouldn't welcome that season or the rain. Instead, momma sat in her room planing her fall. Momma fell hours before the rain stopped beating her to death. She ended the pounding with a bang. And like my daddy, she left a note that read: 'Gone fishing.'

We hadn't heard from daddy in two years, but then friends of mommas said that they saw daddy with two women in a Mississippi bar; he was living it up without a care. And upon him hearing about momma's passing over troubled waters, he looked to the ceiling, raised his glass and said. "I hear the bass are biting up in Canada, bass as big as the thigh on this here little lady." I shed my last tear over my daddy on the day I heard that. That is until I had a son of my own.

I watched the years drift over Michigan waters. I waved good-bye to the setting of the sun, knowing full well that it would kiss my cheek each morning. Each morning I'll embrace my son until the sun refuses to shine.

I took my boy fishing with me last week and, while we was gone, a hospital in Mississippi called. The voice on the phone told my wife that my daddy was on his death bed. His liver was giving up. My wife told the voice on the other end of the phone... "Larry's gone fishing."

Always Lisa Copyright, Sep 20, 2003

© Copyright 2005 Always Lisa - All Rights Reserved
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
1 posted 2005-08-16 08:55 AM

Great write!  Cleverly done with minimum use of words.  I like the point of view from which it is written, too.

miscellanea

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2005-08-19 02:51 PM

Lisa,
Your write creates challenges in the reader's heart about relationships. Well done.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2005-08-21 12:15 PM

Writing from another's viewpoint...

well done, Lisa.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Gone Fishing

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary