navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Finding Beauty in People
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Finding Beauty in People Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida

0 posted 2005-08-12 09:00 AM

There is beauty in people. I found it anew  in my friend Ello on my visit to Ct. She was diagnosed with Uterine cancer and then with Kidney and bladder cancers. All separate tumors. Given three months to live without chemo.  She finally made the decision to go for it.  She has had a complete hysterectomy and kidney removed.  Shaved her hair as she did not like finding it on her pillow each morning, so has been bald right along  and wears small caps made for her by a friend.  Hopefully the chemo took care of the bladder cancer as they do not see any now. Still  has a port in her chest for further treatments if needed. She drove me into New Haven  and I went with her to have the port flushed. Then we went to lunch across from Yale.  Had long ride in the country to visit friends, finally home.   She is still working two and half days as she had been before the diagnoses.  
       Another day another friend dropped me off at Ello's office  on her half day.  We picked up another friend and drove to Westbrook Ct. to visit a third. We had a lot of laughs and a wonderful day again. I didn't get back to my daughters until after eight o'clock. She is a wonder with a terrific attitude.
     One of the friends we picked up is Becky. Becky was my rollar skating partner. She had recently broken her wrist skating( she is 78). As soon as that healed she went back to skating, in Groton Ct. and broke the other wrist.  But she is ready to go back!  She and I started skating when I was fifty eight.  She became a dance judge as she loves to dance on skates.  
    The third friend  Fran, is about  ten years younger and a corker. She has a pinched nerve and the doctors can not find which one. Back aches and pain all the time.  She kept us in stitches the whole visit. Despite the pain these three are winners.     There I sat  and all I could offer was a bump on my hand I received while staying at friend Berdella's house. It grew into an egg within minutes and I did not even realize I had bumped it. But it  was all I could offer and even that caused us to laugh  again.

Berdella and her husband are also great people.She is a just retired nurse, worked in heart surgery unit. She is my age, has lupus and back problems, but came to pick me up at daughter Jan's house and took me back to hers. Made a nice dinner and she and her husband then took me to see the Marching Penguins. The next day we had breakfast and it was she who drove me to meet Ello. I am so blessed with terrific friends, all of whom I am proud. What a blessing it is to have found one such friend. I have eight! All different and all great people.  Being rich in friend ship is the best kind of richness!  best to all you wonderful people, martyjo

© Copyright 2005 martyjo - All Rights Reserved
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
1 posted 2005-08-13 05:35 PM

latearrival,

Yes, there is beauty all around.  I really enjoyed seeing it through your eyes.  To begin again after two broken wrists?  Your friends seem quite amazing and inspiring.  Thank you for sharing the goodness.  This was a pleasure to read.

miscellanea

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
2 posted 2005-08-13 07:43 PM

Thank you. Wanted to share these strong women. I am so attracted to this type. All are different but all have a certain strenght.
Best, martyjo

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
3 posted 2005-08-17 02:46 AM

MartyJo....this brought a smile to my face.  You are blessed to have laughter in your life and dear friends...and I might add, courageous ones, too!   ....jo
Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
4 posted 2005-08-17 09:50 AM

MartyJo~
To find such strength in friends of your choosing is a blessing indeed~
*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*When the heart grieves over what it has lost,
the spirit rejoices over what it has left.
- Sufi epigram <))><

Email noles1@totcon.com

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
5 posted 2005-08-17 10:50 AM

there IS beauty in people..and you have found it times  8...well including yourself..that would be 9

lovely story

M

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2005-08-17 11:33 AM

Yes, beauty in perseverance. They don't count wrinkles - they just want to know how many more miles those skates and attitude can handle - and go for it!

You are, indeed, blessed!

And by sharing them? You've blessed US!

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
7 posted 2005-08-17 05:52 PM

talk about a wonderful write! Thank you, for sharing this.
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
8 posted 2005-08-18 02:04 AM

iliana: Thank you. Yes the laughter was needed and we were the small group that could produce it.

Marge: These friends are all of long standing  and from different periods of my life. I treasure them  and their strenght and humor.

Nakedthoughts: I am honored  to have you enclude me . I will have to write about the other four friends of strenght and beauty.

Sunshine: You are correct, we discount weight, wrinkles, pain, even our loss of height. What we have surmounts all that.

Midnightsun: Thank you for reading and posting. Calling it wonderful? Well The women I know are all that and more. Best to all of you and thank you all for posting, martyjo

[This message has been edited by latearrival (08-18-2005 06:22 AM).]

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
9 posted 2005-08-18 12:17 PM

Oh, this made me smile!!  I so enjoyed hearing of all the ailments and laughter that friends can share.  To find the beauty in people is a special talent, and you have it in abundance it would seem.  You are blessed for that.  
latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
10 posted 2005-08-19 01:23 AM

Martie, Oh thank you. We had such fun. The first week was tied up with grandson's wedding,  a few of the ballgames he coached and one shopping trip. Second week was mine to share with these terrific friends. Berdella took me to see The Marching Penquins. Do see it if you haven't. best marty
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Finding Beauty in People

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary