navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » A Natural Born Thief
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Natural Born Thief Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH

0 posted 2005-08-03 09:39 PM

‘Tis the blackberry season here,  a season that tickles my curiosity, pricks my outer lining, and causes me to wonder if I’m really as good and honest as I’d always hoped to be!   “No, I suppose not.”  I’m a natural born thief when it comes to berry picking, and probably should be ashamed of my greed.   I ‘probably’ would be if not for the image of a freshly baked blackberry pie sitting on my kitchen countertop!  You know the type of pie with its juices sprawling over the criss-crossed dough topping.  The dough, itself, could almost turn any red blooded American into a thief! To that, add the persuasion of the aromatic Tazo as the berry juices thicken and bubble in the oven.   As the juices sprawl to the pie pan’s edge, the sticky overflow may call for immediate removal!   Yum!  Very carefully a viewer removes just a speck of the crust that an hour or two earlier she had seen in the making.   Before snatching the small piece, she might remember the precision in which the baker gathered equal amounts of dough between her thumb and forefinger, pinching it with even pressure to form peaks and valleys.   But then again, she may not remember the precision, and might just sneak a piece automatically.  Can I blame her that she, too, is a thief?  

If you have never gone wild blackberry picking, it is an experience that you’ve missed.  The blackberry brambles come alive and defensive when their children are about to be exploited.  It would be idiotic of me to personify them as having a brain, but sometimes I laugh and wonder who is the smarter, the barbed briars or mankind?  One of the defenses that the bush uses naturally, it took mankind hundreds of years to understand, finally inventing Velcro.

The blackberry brambles have a natural order with the largest berries hidden beneath the lower level of leaves. There, they are undetectable by the usual two legged populous.  Not underestimating potential pickers, a few attractive, very visible clusters of five or six small berries are strategically placed near the top where the briar stem is most fragile. Sometimes I find myself awkwardly perplexed as to why, though the thorns are smaller and more delicate near the top, they can induce as great pain as the larger thorns found below!  I suppose that's because the small thorns tend to 'stick' together in very close vicinity of one and other!  "Ouch!")  As the picker’s eyes spot the many, almost hidden berry baubles, the thorns and network of briars make it almost impossible for one to reach the cluster of flirting berries without gaining a splinter or two.   When nabbed by the briar, the trick is not to panic because if you do, you will place yourself in jeopardy of several other barb attacks.   Instead, move forward very slowly into the attack, lifting your body a speck closer to the heavens in hopes to become free of the little devil (or devils) that spiked you!

I am always amazed at how things in nature appear to work together.  This year, not only are the thorns protecting those precious berries, but now I find the grapevines have intertwined to offer shadow and safe haven.   Perhaps later, the grapevines will overcome the Rubus occidentalis, taking over the entire fence row, but for the moment, they offer benefits to my briar friends, as does poison ivy.  The poison ivy?   That is a given risk!     (The Native Americans often treated the victims of P.I. with a remedy found in Jewel Weed, a plant located adjacent to it.   How about that?  A neighboring problem and solution.)  I suspect we could learn a lot from nature, but that’s not about what I began writing.    I believe it was about temptation and theft…  Hm.  I wonder if that, too, is found in nature.  What do you think?   Perhaps next year I’ll ask the grapevine about temptation, or maybe I’ll ask the birds.   Meanwhile, I’ll enjoy the spoils of a well earned blackberry pie!    

[This message has been edited by miscellanea (08-04-2005 11:37 AM).]

© Copyright 2005 Cathy Farmer - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2005-08-03 10:20 PM

And now...now you remind me of a very dear friend and a day among vines.  If you don't mind, I'm going to share this with her...and being that you are both named alike...in given names...

I think she will know that I know that the memories truly never fade.

Misc'e...

thank you.

I OWE you, big time.  [The poem is still percolating!]

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
2 posted 2005-08-04 01:44 AM

Sunshine,

I'm glad you found sentimentality in this.  I guess I'll always be sentimental about countrylife. It bothers me that the open space is disappearing so quickly right before my eyes.   I wonder in a few years where all the beautiful wild flowers will be found.  It seems we tend to manicure the land so carefully, that we inadvertently lose some of its natural beauty.  I write about the briars so that I will remember our times together!  Although sticky, they have been good times!

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

misc'e

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
3 posted 2005-08-05 04:15 PM

Like I told you on the phone.....I think you should enter this in some kind of contest!  Marvelous, C!   ....sis
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2005-08-05 10:06 PM

I do believe
a berry baking
pie recipe contest
is a must!

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2005-08-05 10:30 PM

Well, now that you've got my taste buds tingling and alive, yum!
I do believe hundreds of your fresh baked berry pies might stop an advancing army!
And a good bit of pondering here, as to the variety of symbiotic relationships in nature.

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
6 posted 2005-08-05 11:26 PM

Ah, Jo!  You are so kind--you tryin' to get me to airmail you a piece of that blackberry pie?  Not the worth this year--been so busy we bought the crust!  And making crust is my speciality!  Have a good weekend!

cathy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Sunshine,

A berry baking contest?  An excellent idea!  (But count my wild blackberry pie out for this year.  I've picked enough for nine pies, but the last picking was my last this year--too much itching!  Just got a shot for poison ivy (as if the poison ivy wasn't enough!)  Still, I suppose the good things in life are worth the trouble--wait until next year; then count me in!  

I know there'd be pretty stiff competition because Jo makes a mean pie and I know you're quite the baker, too.  And...that's only three of us!  Lots of bakers out there I bet!  

Thanks for humoring me.  The last couple of days have been, let's say, "unpredictable."    

misc'e

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Midnitesun,

I'd pick every berry in the county and fight the briars, if it would stop an army.  Hm.  Bakers of America unite!   Enjoyed your response!

miscellanea

~~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by miscellanea (08-06-2005 05:00 AM).]

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
7 posted 2005-08-19 03:54 AM

miscellanea, I read this the other morning but had little time to post. I LOVE IT! What a clever and interesting write. You made me want to go picking blackberries, strawberries, blueberries and mulberries! I love them all. Strawberry Rhubarb pie being my choice. I lived near an orchard and picked the blueberries there as I never seemed to have enough on my bushes. As for blackberries, I have done that too but never did bake a blackberry pie. And I too used to make my own piecrust, but darn it is so much easier to use the frozen ones from the nearby grocery store.(Forgive me please oh Goddess of piecrusts.) Thanks for the memories. martyjo

[This message has been edited by latearrival (08-19-2005 11:31 PM).]

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
8 posted 2005-08-19 03:23 PM

Make that a tresspassing thief! Washington state too. Fond memories indeed. But I make no claims to baking pies. I've baked a lot but never pies.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

kayjay
Member Elite
since 2002-06-24
Posts 2015
Oregon
9 posted 2005-09-02 12:53 PM

Wild Blackberry is about as common in Oregon as traffic and when the berries are in season, my mooching nature comes out if not my theiving...well, ok, that too.
I greatly enjoyed this and your text is as flavorful as a pie!  Ken

Through rubble and trouble and dark of night
The yawn of a dawn will hasten the light

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
10 posted 2005-09-04 07:28 PM

late arrival, Larry, kayjay---
   Thanks for your comments.  Glad you could relate...
             miscellanea

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

11 posted 2005-09-05 02:56 AM

A lovely tale! Being from southern West Virginia helped me relate. Nature is so telling, isn't it? It helps us understand the more complex things in life.. but in such a simple and soothing way. You have depicted this well. Lovely!

Love's a lovely lad
His bringing up is beauty
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
12 posted 2005-09-06 09:27 AM

Misc'e, there's no mistakin'! My mouth is a waterin'! ~ and my tummy is a rumblin'!

Your blackberry pie sounds yummy in the tummy!

Mind you, I like them staight off the vine as well!

I nominate you the Blackberry Pie Queen!
Queen  Pie

Loves 'n Laughs,
Linda

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
13 posted 2005-09-07 06:56 PM

Lovebug,
   You're so right.  Mother Nature is out there with all kinds of advice and nurturing--just for the taking? theiving?  (Oh, forget it--my wit has taken a trip over the weakend!)  Thanks kindly for your comment.  I really questioned the quality of this when I posted it, but those blackberries have been asking me to write something about them for a couple of years.  Just had to do it!

Thanks for your comment.  I feel a lot better knowing this made some sense!

miscee

Earth Angel,

Ah... you're so kind!  I'll only accept the nomination of Blackberry Pie Queen IF we can determine it fairly. Heehee.. I think all the blackberry pie bakers need to meet at my house for the judging.  OF COURSE, I volunteer to be a taste tester!  I can taste it now!!!   Forget the visions of sugar plums, blackberries will do just fine!

Nice to hear from you again, Earth Angel!

misce

merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
14 posted 2005-09-25 05:46 PM

I'm impressed this is a great piece of writing.  Very descriptive with good comparisons that generates pictures in the mind. It’s one of the best of seen here in a long time.  Keep it up.

Merlyn

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
15 posted 2005-10-10 06:25 PM

Thanks, Merlyn... I appreciate your kindness in comment!  I haven't written anything for a month or so now--the well runeth dry!   Well, I guess I did write a bit of music, but it has been extremely busy here.  Again, your feedback may prod me to write something.
            Thanks again!
             miscellanea

silverwind
since 2005-12-07
Posts 37
that place over there
16 posted 2005-12-11 05:53 PM

I really enjoyed that, took me back many years when countryside meant, countryside. It's a sad fact though, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but I fear for my grandchildrens grandchildren, will they ever smell the countryside as we used to?

silverwind

silverwind
since 2005-12-07
Posts 37
that place over there
17 posted 2005-12-11 06:04 PM

I really enjoyed that, took me back many years when countryside meant, countryside. It's a sad fact though, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but I fear for my grandchildrens grandchildren, will they ever smell the countryside as we used to?

silverwind

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
18 posted 2005-12-11 06:14 PM

silverwind,
   I understand your thought.  I suppose writers, artists, musicians, historians, etc.
must leave record and plan for sensorial experiences at Fall Fests, arboritums, etc.  

I suppose it is not ours to say that their lives will be any less rewarding than mans' before him.  How can I even say this when I adore the country so?  Hm... Don't know!

Thank you for responding and giving food for thought.

miscellanea

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » A Natural Born Thief

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary