navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Kats Shadow Part 2
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Kats Shadow Part 2 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression

0 posted 2005-07-18 05:45 PM

Continued from /pip/Forum15/HTML/002318.html
Chapter 4 Part II

He woke before her and before the sun had lit the sky for the day.  He left her the coat to keep her warm since the morning still had its full nightly chill.  He could keep himself warm easily here in the mountains, but food would be a problem for them both.  Climbing on the ledge that hung over the sleeping place he looked out into the darkness.  Not so much with his eyes, but with his feelings.  Nothing came to him but the sounds of wind, the slow glow behind him that meant sunrise was near and the tingle of the magic of high places.  This was a world of magic, thicker in the high places as if the air itself slowed it’s flow, which perhaps it did.  He was learning about these things in this world and though he had learned to master a form of this magic he still had much to learn about its workings and nature.  He picked up a small stone and tossed it far out into the thin air.  It fell due to the force of gravity falling down to bounce off the stone cliff and then onward to the bottom of the mountain.  Worlds could be different, yet there were many similarities also, like gravity and responsibility.  As the sky continue to brighten while he sat there thinking, realization of need to get started crept in to those thoughts.  He hoped the responsibility could be met of protecting Kat as he climbed back down to wake her.  Pausing to look at her in the peacefulness of sleep this was important, her safety..  With a kiss on the cheek to wake her then watching as her eyes fluttered open to look up at him and smiling her good morning greeting without a word.

As she was stretching he handed her one of the biscuits and her water pouch.  She looked at it and then at him and smiled before taking a small nibble.  He was putting away things and gathering up his coat when she said in a laughing tone “this isn’t the great gourmet cooking I remember from you.”
“Things are a little restricted here on the trail.” He offered his hand to help her to her feet.  She gave him a quizzical look at the word trail.  “This is a sleeping spot,” he told her.  “Up there is the trail.” He pointed upwards over the overhang and when she looked up lifted her up by her slim waist high enough to grab the edge of the ledge, which she grabbed with two hands after putting the rest of the biscuit in her mouth.  He then lifted her to the ledge by her ankles so she almost was standing on the ledge then it was like  walking onto the ledge from his grip.  “That’s what I like, no complaints, quietly going, what a trooper.”  He picked up he water pouch and cape and handed to her as she kneeled to get them.
“Not that there was much chance to,” she said with a smile. “ you lifting me up when I had my mouth full of a dry biscuit.”  He pulled himself up onto the ledge as she took a drink before continuing.  “But I complain, no more move before I get two kisses.”

He gave her one quick kiss and they sat down looking out over the valley as the shadows decreased and the day began.  He pointed out the spring from the day before now lost in the mist of morning off to their right and the river where they had left the main road head toward the mountain.  She nibbled and they watched the shadows shrink in silence for a while.  He stood pulling her to her feet and gave a long and lingering kiss staring deep into her dark brown eyes.  “Nice view” he said not looking from her as she only smiled.  Then he turned and walked off down the trail, for the worn trail on the rocky overhand could be easily seen in the morning light.  She was softly humming a couple of steps behind, happy to be with him.  Looking back over his shoulder she smiled at him, this was all she had asked, just to spend time with him and she didn’t worry about the difficulties this would bring.  Here in this world he could share all the time with her, something he could not do back home where the responsibilities and events kept him from her except brief visits which were never satisfying to either of them.  After about ten minutes on the trail it turned and opened to a small clearing with a few bushes and a single tree where he stopped to take care of personal needs.  The trail continued harsh and barren for a couple of hours, and for the most part as it went horizontal across the upper face of the mountain.  There would be few places of comfort as long as they were on it and though the wind was still in the early morning the rays of the sun were very warm as the trail crested along the mountains edge.  As she came from around a bush he grabbed her and pulled her to him giving her a very long and lingering kiss.  “You’ll be needing that to get you to our next stop.”  He told her as he walked off.  He didn’t need to look back to know she was following closely, her happy hum was almost a song as they started across an area of loose rock that made footing difficult.

The morning hike became difficult, then easy, and then difficult again as they crossed to the eastern side of the mountain just after the sun’s zenith.  But just over the crest there were berry bushes on both sides of the trail where they stopped making them the days lunch.  After about an hour of picking and eating they were on their way again with sticky fingers and juice staining lips deep red.  Little insects followed them through the early part of the afternoon till they stopped at a trickle of water escaping the mountain were they washed and filled the water pouches. The eastern side of the mountain was an easier trail, but it often was along a shear drop off of from several feet to several hundred feet.  This stream tricked out of a area where there was a large area of flat and it was a gentle slope down, at least for a while.  Just as they were preparing to leave a far off rumble could be heard.  He went to a rock outcropping, climbed, and stood motionlessly looking to the south.  “We must hurry, a storm is coming and it will be on us before dusk.” He hopped down and looked at her briefly then turned and walked off very quickly continuing “and at our pace we will not reach the place of cover in time.  At least not the one I had planned.”  Luckily for Kat this part of the trail was flatter and smoother than the other side and they made good time but took no breaks from the quick pace.  The southern sky darkened and the wind picked up pelting them with specks of dust and torn leaves.

The darkness came with the first drops of light rain.  The thick clouds seemed to swirl up from the south in anger, fill with flashes of light.  He stopped and bent down touching the ground as the mountainside changed in the multicolored lightshow to dreamscape at the beginning of a nightmare.  He hoped this dream would not turn from the pleasure it had had to this point.  She stood beside him quietly excepting the rain that grew heavy and drenching.  His awareness followed the contours of the rocky slope exploring every crevice to try to find a shelter for them.  Each flash was a surge of magical energy, each rumble of thunder that followed rattled the ground and the rain was changing the landscape filling cracks and rolling small stones in its flow.  He could feel the skin of the mountain, the rain pelted it like a snare drum, the vibrations masked the stillness of rock and hid the empty crevices, but he at last sensed a cave deep enough to hold them.  Directing them with his senses he went down the trail a bit further and grabbed her hands “Feel for a ledge with your feet,” he shouted at her even though she was just inches away from him.  “Let me know when you touch and have firm footing, then guide my feet to the ledge when I come over.”  She nodded and he swung her out over the cliff’s edge, it was a shear drop of several hundred feet at this point of the trail, and then he brought her close to the rock face for her to feel with her feet.  The wind was almost to a roar now and it was the only sound to be heard, so when she looked up at him and shouted he had to assume she had found the footing.  He released one hand then the other and prepared to go over the edge himself when a massive red bolt of energy came streaking at him standing there exposed on the ledge.  Reflect brought his hand up, a warding jester, yet with little hope of fending off the bolt.  He was struck.  The energy didn’t harm him, but charged him as it heighten every sense and filled him with more magical force than he had ever known.  In that instant he knew all the mountain around him, each pebble and stone.  He sensed the storm, its depth and power.  Time compressed years of watching from this point inside a heartbeat and he absorbed all the energy he could sending the rest of in a nova of blue light.

He steamed.  The water than had drenched him fled with this massive energy discharge and he looked down at Kat who was horrified at the sight of his being struck by lightening.  After a moment the water began to soak back into his clothing and hair and the horror on her face became concern.  He went over the side of the cliff without hesitation now, knowing each rock and exactly where the ledge and cave was without even looking. He pushed her toward the cave and she went. As soon as the entered the cave he pulled her close and kissed her.  They both steamed.  She was filled with the energy and passion from him as it passed through her almost causing her to slump into unconsciousness with the combination of emotion and exhaustion.  But he kept hold of her, not letting the feel of her escape him as the storm raged just outside the entrance of the dark cave.  Moving further into the cave he carried her out of the wind around a small turn where the cave widened just a bit.  He put her down and laid there beside her, still holding her as she fell asleep.

Gloom

© Copyright 2005 Aszard Drazlom - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2005-07-18 07:35 PM

I'm about half way through and lovin' it. I'll be back!

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
2 posted 2005-07-19 08:18 PM

Yup Prof I did indeed enjoy the read. And no bars, cool.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2005-07-19 09:33 PM

More...please!

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2005-07-20 11:06 AM

Yeah, the story isn't done, right?

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2005-07-20 05:52 PM

well done! and this IS just the beginning, isn't it?

Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression
6 posted 2005-07-21 07:35 AM

Thank You Larry C
I truly appreciate your continued support,
No not done yet,
But moving a tad slow.

Thank you Sunshine,
Soon

Thank you Midnitesun
Actually it’s the middle,
It being chapter 4 and all,
But my attempt to make this stand somewhat on it’s own
So you don’t have a lot of background.
Some parts will be left out
(unless I post them in the Adult section)
but there are two more parts to chapter 4
both needing a polish
then all needing a final polish before adding to chapters 1 and 3.
Then there’s the problem of I haven’t written chapter 2 yet,
Oh bother.

Gloom

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

7 posted 2005-07-21 09:34 AM

Whoa, this is really good!!!

I enjoy the thought from a man's perspective, and how his desire to be concerned for her well being is so brought forth in this...though, I surly hope it is genuine as I'm thinking the author has some turn of adventure in store for his readers, Yes?
and this fellow of Kats is for real...although, if he is for real, will the author give them some tragic fate, leaving them seperated?  Boy oh boy, I cannot wait to read more, this is and has been a wonderful read....thanks so much....

suggestion?  Do a book....

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Kats Shadow Part 2

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary