navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » A moment in time
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic A moment in time Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa

0 posted 2005-07-05 05:16 PM

The past is only a reminder that life is constant and not as uncertain as the next coming moments I’ve grown accustom to expect.  Knowing my presence seems so small when I rollover in the grass and gaze at the different shaped cumulus vessels sailing on an endless journey, and yet, if I search out the small insignificant ones and wait.  They will dissipate and suddenly disappear as mere vapor like pass memories that fade in time away from the obscure images like a paragon of virtue that dominates the sky to the small disappearing illusions not much different than my mind.  I am reminded that my thoughts are not always a clear sky but full of vaporous illusions trying to dominate my life and it’s easy to lose sight of what really does exist.  To hold on to what is constant all around me and not be fooled by desires forever changing that can not be held on to anyway.  I am forever part of all that is always constant, consistent, and infinitely unchanging and not part of the insignificant thoughts that sometimes grow to be thunderstorms yet always dissipates and suddenly disappears making me feel uncertain. I should be waiting in that long moment that is infinitely unchanging.

© 2005 by Merlyn Hearn

© Copyright 2005 merlynh - All Rights Reserved
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

1 posted 2005-07-05 06:45 PM

A deep and beautiful piece.. we should all have something solid like that to stand on, when our lives get cloudy, as you say!

I enjoyed this a lot!

Love's a lovely lad
His bringing up is beauty
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
2 posted 2005-09-25 06:22 PM

Thanks for replying LoveBug I had all but forgot about this post.  I all but forgot it’s meaning.  It appears I was too deep in thought and wasn’t concerned about whether the reader would understand.  I’ve found it’s healthy for the mind to reflect on existence as to humble myself to the fact I’m not a demigod of my own reality.  The insight I’m no different than any other human being that sees the world through his eyes and is often fooled into believing it is done with my mind. The great illusion of life that makes us lack compassion in its true sense.  But like a flower that blooms in the desert and dies away and seems so unimportant in the scheme of things has its value in it’s short lifetime also experienced it’s eternity.
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
3 posted 2006-09-30 10:08 AM

merlyn,

I hope you read this after having had a post removed.  I would understand your hesitance.  I LOVE YOUR WRITING and miss it!  I liked the one that was removed VERY much.  It had a phrase in it that some might deem inappropriate, but I didn't take serious offense.   I wish it were still here to re-read.  In it, one could visualize the inner struggle of the little guy, now, that becoming more norm of middle class.   You are a truth searcher, and it shows in such deeply written thought.  I could never catch the clouds before they dissipate, but indeed, you have!  This is proof.  I seriously hope you are still writing.  You have so much talent and perception!!!

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

4 posted 2006-10-01 02:34 AM

Interesting post.  I like your philosophy about living for the moment.  Also, about history and its being "less uncertain" that's an interesting notion.  I have often noted that in my own life's past events, I can find a structure or pattern determining where and how they fit into my "history."

Events in the present are a little harder to place.

Any idiot can see that the result is true.
-- argumentum ad idiotum
Me!

merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
5 posted 2006-10-01 04:14 PM

“And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.”-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

If I look with my mind at the moment, it becomes another memory of shadows passing, yet if I look with my spirit it is just one long moment toward forever.

“I dream of wayward gulls and all landless lovers, rare moments of winter sun, peace, privacy, for everyone.”-- William F. Claire

Philmont
since 2004-01-10
Posts 61

6 posted 2006-10-01 10:15 PM

You remind me of that character from A Wrinkle in Tyme.  You know, the woman who quotes all the time.  I think she called herself "Mrs. Whatsit"..
merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
7 posted 2006-10-02 01:24 AM

Funny you should mention quotes.  Just one of the many hobbies I keep in mind.  I believe it was my interest in literary expression that led me to them.  Like any piece of writing that seems to be complete, I always get the impression they are not entirely complete with respect to feeling that they are just the beginning of an expression of thought, more toward an outlook that ought to be considered.  They have become like keys to me.  If I read I quote I like.  Then I look into who wrote it.  Learn about them and read everything they ever wrote with the desire to understand how this person came up with these thoughts put into such a profound way with just little words.  It all starts with a quote and ends up being quite an education to what lies beyond it.  Take Antoine de Saint-Exupery who I quoted he wrote a wonderful story called,  “The Little Prince”  You can read it at  
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/littleprince/frames.html

Translated from the French by Katherine Woods.  The subject matter is quite odd.  Check it out if you dare.  It certainly has relative moments some view, as the path flecked with sunlight.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » A moment in time

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary