navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » No bars Excerpt
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic No bars Excerpt Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression

0 posted 2005-06-25 11:23 AM

Although the eastern sky had brightened and day had broken, he couldn’t see the sun rise because of the mountain casting its shadow.  The wagon that had brought them was heading back down the road toward the village and the main road carrying most of what they had brought.  Only the bare minimum were they taking on the next part of the journey, only what they could carry.  The Innkeeper, a old retired man, had given him a mug of warm sweet tea and went to inform Katrina he was ready to leave.  He had left her in the tub taking a last bath probably for quite some time as he had come to send off the wagon.  He was looking toward the mountain watching the mist melt away as the sun warmed the higher slopes when he heard her come out to join him.

She looked beautiful, yet ready for the hard journey.  Dressed in knee-high black leather boots which still had two inch heels, but they had sturdy and wide heels, her stockings were such a fine mesh that they almost looked painted on, her dress was a wrap around that fell just above the knee with plenty of movement for climbing and the belt was a coiled thin black rope.  The bodice was black leather and looked stiff and a bit uncomfortable as it pushed her up and made her breast look bigger than he knew they were under a thin black blouse that she had left unbuttoned probably just to show off her new bodice.  She wore a black cotton hooded cloak with a small pack beneath and a sling bag and water pouch to either side,  These were the clothes she had spent so much time gathering and fixing for the journey and he smiled thinking it had been worth all her effort.  She looked up at him now standing very close and he leaned down to give her a kiss.  It was a lingering kiss that touched only lips and tongue till he pulled back a bit to look into her eyes that sparkled.  She had not looked both so beautiful and happy before that he could remember.

They turned and began walking toward the mountain down the now wide path and her reached for her small hand to hold while he could.  It seemed like just a stroll through the woods for a while, but the path eventually narrowed and she had to drop back and follow single file as the woods closed in and wound upwards.  After two hours the sun had climbed enough to shine into the woods which were beginning to thin out as the path steepened.  They stopped to rest for a moment on a fallen log.  He took off his wide brim hat and pack then sat them beside the log as he sat next to her while she took a drink from her water pouch.
“When we stop, just before noon,” he told her, “we will be by a spring, so today they’ll be no worry about water.”  She nodded and took another sip before smiling at him.
“You’ll tell when I need to worry.” She said in her soft voice which was a mix between a question and a statement.  She trusted his judgment completely and it was only her manner of speech and the lilt to her voice.  It was that lilt and manner which had attracted attention in the city, which had marked her as a foreigner.  She ignored it all, the looks, the slights and the rudeness all because she wanted to be with him.  With so much sacrifice to be near the one she loved he felt badly that he did not return it with the same intensity.  “Is it harder soon?” she asked standing.
“Harder, yes. Harder the next day.”  He told her.  She only smiled so he pulled her onto his lap and gave her a kiss holding her tightly.  He let her stand again as he let the passion fade.
“No matter how hard journey, kisses make it easy” she said and started down the path ahead of him like she knew where she was going.
Putting on his hat and pack he was beside her in a few long strides and he could see her wide smile as she turned to look at him.  This part was easy enough, but what of the road ahead.  Would a kiss be enough when the food ran out because they could not carry any and when the kisses became dry for lack of water.  He knew she’d never complain, so he worried.  He strode a few paces further down the path so she could not see the worry on his face.  She had developed a knack for reading his face and eyes even though he thought it was emotionless.  It had been that trait that had endeared her to him when their language differences had made other communications difficult.  Perhaps it was just her desire to please or perhaps it was just her love that made her such a good companion.  Whichever it was he remembered the last time he took this path alone and was glad she was with him.  

The path became a trail as the left the shade of the woods. The trees were far apart now and they were often scrambling over rocks, but the trail was well marked till they left it and followed the stream to the spring to have a lunch of sorts.  After about an hour, where he snoozed under the shadow of his hat and Kat with her head on his shoulder, they resumed the journey.  This time there was not a trail, just steep slopes to a series of ledges.  It was getting harder for her to keep up, her reach upwards just didn’t match his, and this was now real rock climbing.  He’d have to reach down and pull her up at times, but she was so light it wasn’t much of a burden and it was only every now and then during this stretch of climbing.  They were both tired when they reached the overhang where they camped for the night.  Biscuits and water were their dinner as they use his coat for a mat and her cloak as a blanket, but it was body warmth that that kept the chill from them through the night.  They slept with fingers intertwined and no dreams or fears of what was to come.

Gloom

© Copyright 2005 Aszard Drazlom - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2005-06-25 05:47 PM

Well Professor you are a good story teller. Funny the bar is gone but fluids aren't. Hopefully this only the beginning of the story 'cause I wanna hear the rest. I really enjoy your style. Odd, I thought we were just in the ghetto and now...

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression
2 posted 2005-06-26 01:42 AM

Thank you, Larry C,
Pleased you enjoyed.  I guess there will always be fluids, since they are so important to living.  This is but a piece of a larger story, not even the beginning and nowhere close to the end.  The larger story is called Kat’s Shadow, the Katrina that is mentioned in this part.  It’s about her life in a another land, another world than her birth.  Although I might post an occasional bit of this story here, it’s much too long to clog these blue pages.
I truly appreciate your interest and support.

Gloom

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
3 posted 2005-06-26 02:09 AM

So now that you have teased me how do I get my hands on the rest?

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression
4 posted 2005-06-26 07:47 AM

Golly Gee Mr. C
I guess I’ll just have to write more of the story
As of now it’s just a work in progress
And at that secondary to the Main writing I’ve been doing
Nocturne
Which I believe I’ve also posted bits of here,
But that is more city/ bars/ cars and blood.

Gloom

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
5 posted 2005-06-27 02:38 AM

Yuppir Prof, you gotta keep writing so I can keep reading! And I wasn't criticizing the bars just observing their presence and my lack of exposure to them. Hmmm, that probably won't change. I'll be waiting for another installment...  

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2005-06-27 10:51 AM

You know, of course that the heroine in my first book is named Katrina...

Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression
7 posted 2005-06-28 11:40 AM

Thank you, Sunshine,
Pleased you enjoyed.
I didn’t know that, but if you object I can easily change it.  Katrina wasn’t my first choice of name for this character.  It was Cat, a pet name corruption of her Chinese name.  I later changed it as I made her personal history fit better into the story.  This story is still in a free flowing state.

Gloom

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2005-07-07 07:54 PM

I love to share a good name, Professor. Especially when it is one I would chose for myself, if I could do that, and not confuse anyone.

'Tis fine...for she comes not only once into the first novel, but makes an appearance in my "second" - a sequel.

Who knows? You may get to know her someday!

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
9 posted 2005-07-20 05:52 PM

BRAVO!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » No bars Excerpt

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary