navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Summer Lights
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Summer Lights Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression

0 posted 2005-06-22 01:52 PM

I was in a somewhat upscale bar, call it a lounge, sipping the house white wine in the early evening attempting to avoid the increased light this time of year.  Not a frequent haunt, but familiar enough with the people that worked there and some of the patrons.  The Chief, Susan, was discussing with me one of her newer creations for her catering business and bringing me samples and samples of modifications.  Whereas the wine was nothing special, the salads Susan presented were designed to be very special.  The main point was the slice of cheese and that as a dairy item could cause a Kosher problem.  A good portion of her catering business was in the Jewish community and the dairy could cause problems with the serving of other items.  I had suggested a nice slice of tofu as an alternate and off she went to try it.  So there I sat at the bar sipping my wine and my thoughts were turning to other things.
It was just a slight turning of the mind for a couple came in already involved in a heated discussion and were determined to continue the topic.  Not only did they wish to continue, but also expand it to anyone available.  I had the misfortune to be in the general area.  After all I did know them, sort of, and they actually had an intelligent conversation going on with out much raising of voice.
“Mr. D” the female of the couple began as she attempted to draw me in to the conversation. “What do you think is the ruin of a relationships?”
“Money or Sex?” the male conversationalist asked.
Now I have heard this bantered about many times by many people, so I can not keep track of quotes.  But they paused to wait for my response, he to drink some of his beer and her to drink some of what ever she was drinking.
“The main thing is, Men go into a relationship thinking the woman will stay the same, and they don’t.  Women go into a relationship thinking the man will change and he does not.” I let them ponder that just a moment before adding, “Money is not an issue unless one of the pair is materialistic and sex is not an issue as long as both can satisfy the others desires”
With this said, I figured I had said about as much on the subject as I wished and got up to leave.  Shouted a goodbye to Susan in the Kitchen and left into the dimming day.  In another month or so it would be dark by then, but the light was still bright and I went home to seek refuge from it.

Gloom

© Copyright 2005 Aszard Drazlom - All Rights Reserved
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
1 posted 2005-06-22 09:10 PM

Yup, you can't go wrong with advice from the Professor! As always I like your writing. I'd call you a wise guy but you're smarter than that. Another fun read.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2005-06-22 10:22 PM

...and left the couple gaping, like land-locked fish.

Good for you!

Wise you are, and wise, you left....

except that I am sorry to know you would run from the sun....

Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression
3 posted 2005-06-23 01:40 PM

Thank you, Larry C,
I’ve been called a wise guy plenty, and oft times it fits me well,
But I tend to answer a serious question with a bit of thought.
I’m pleased you enjoyed this exchange.

Thank you, Sunshine,
They weren’t gaping, they just went on with conversation,
Knowing those two, it will never end;
The energizer bunnies of conversation
They keep talking
And talking
And talking…

As for running from Sunshine,
Well, lets just say
Bright lights hurt my eyes
But I can enjoy the warmth.

Gloom

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2005-06-23 01:44 PM

Will dark glasses help?

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

5 posted 2005-06-23 03:21 PM

I cannot agree with you more here, adding, why is it women want a man to change, if he isn't who they'd like him to be, why hang on and ruin both lives?  Then whom, did she fall in love with....?  Better to look for compatibility in the beginning, and if it ain't right, let it go....

Not a wise guy at all, simply honest...well done!

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
6 posted 2005-06-23 09:04 PM

But I meant wise guy in the best possible sense! You know...as in wisdom.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
7 posted 2005-06-23 11:48 PM

I know what you meant, Larry...and he is, a wise guy!  Enjoyed this Professor Gloom!
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
8 posted 2005-06-24 08:53 AM

the ruin of a relationship?

not money or sex...neither

it's an uncaring, self-centered partner

Professor Gloom
Member Elite
since 2000-07-23
Posts 3082
of Depression
9 posted 2005-06-24 02:12 PM

Thank You, Larry C,
I appreciate the fine compliment,
But in reality, I’m a little of both;
Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Thank you, Martie,
Pleased you enjoyed.

Thank You, Passing Shadows,
Perhaps you are correct,
Which has also been used to describe me
( probably why my present condition exists),
but I was only give the choice of two
and the last thing I wanted was a long conversation
with those two.
Thanks for the comments

Gloom

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Summer Lights

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary